Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #46
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation
Default Re: National Sales Tax under consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
Exactly. I guess people expect the debt to just magically go away and for these services to be free.

There are individuals, and organizations, across the nation who are more passionate than your local/state/natl governments when it comes to the fine arts. From what I've seen in my lifetime, art programs, accessible to american youth, are pathetic and continue to decline. Are you looking to enhance your own daughter's exposure to the arts through public education? The government will provide you with very little, even with allotted funding. If that's your reasoning for shrugging off a tax increase, I'd suggest you be a little more assertive in your own community and seek those people who accomplish so much more with much less.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #47
Clifton
talk less, say more

Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool

I gotta just stop by and applaud Meticode here for IMMACULATELY just decimating this guy's thread. I mean you just could not have handled yourself better.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #48
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsic
There are individuals, and organizations, across the nation who are more passionate than your local/state/natl governments when it comes to the fine arts. From what I've seen in my lifetime, art programs, accessible to american youth, are pathetic and continue to decline. Are you looking to enhance your own daughter's exposure to the arts through public education? The government will provide you with very little, even with allotted funding. If that's your reasoning for shrugging off a tax increase, I'd suggest you be a little more assertive in your own community and seek those people who accomplish so much more with much less.

I do what I can you know? I wish sometimes I had more time, but I don't. Between raising a child, spending the time I need with my wife, and working on top of that I volunteer for Special Olympics. I coach 2 times a week. I've been a part of this organization voluntarily for 3 years and I know all too well about not getting helped by the government financially. Without our own fundraisers a lot of these kids and adults wouldn't have Special Olympics without the people who volunteer and run these things. I understand where you're coming from, but there's only so much I can do with my allotted time. Before I had my daughter I had to take time away from Special Olympics (becuase I was coaching 4 times a week during the summer) and spend that time more so on my job and now new daughter. I don't want to be one of those fathers who feel they only way they feel like a dad is to support them financially. I want to be there for her to as she grows.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #49
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Ah VAT. Another thing implemented successfully in every civilized country except for the US.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #50
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Well this should be fun. One of my positives for moving from Canada is that I didnt have to pay PST and GST. Now I might to pay VAT on everything?? Even Food?
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #51
Clifton
talk less, say more

Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool

You moved away from a place so you wouldn't have to pay taxes? There are countries in Africa that nobody's even really sure if they have a government, why not move there. Obviously I'm stretching but what's the big deal about taxes? Stuff costs money, that's what it's for. You make it so you can spend it. If one of the things you're spending it on is a very good society that protects those who need protecting, yourself included, and makes everyone's lives significantly better and more meaningful, so be it. Everything costs a lot of money. Your internet is probably more than 500 bucks a year, same with your cable, same with your home line, same with your cell phone. Gas is, very roughly, like a grand. And that's assuming all you do with gas is drive, have any of you guys operated a boat? How much do you think you spend per day per person on food? **** costs money, and of all the things you spend money on, taxes are one of the most important, for your society and therefore for yourself. Paying a lot in taxes goes hand in hand with being in a modern, developed country. From what I've heard just about everyone in the developed world pays more than we do and they don't whine about it nearly as much as we do.

Now if you say, "well I don't like what they're using our tax dollars FOR." Well, fair enough, but that's a separate debate altogether. They need the money before they can do something good with it. There is no situation in which good things come out of a government with not enough money.

Last edited by Clifton : 05-28-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #52
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
I do what I can you know? I wish sometimes I had more time, but I don't. Between raising a child, spending the time I need with my wife, and working on top of that I volunteer for Special Olympics. I coach 2 times a week. I've been a part of this organization voluntarily for 3 years and I know all too well about not getting helped by the government financially. Without our own fundraisers a lot of these kids and adults wouldn't have Special Olympics without the people who volunteer and run these things. I understand where you're coming from, but there's only so much I can do with my allotted time. Before I had my daughter I had to take time away from Special Olympics (becuase I was coaching 4 times a week during the summer) and spend that time more so on my job and now new daughter. I don't want to be one of those fathers who feel they only way they feel like a dad is to support them financially. I want to be there for her to as she grows.

That didn't really come across the way it was intended. I wasn't trying to blast you for your participation in the community. Sorry.

Instead, I was commenting on your willingness to pay more money out of your pocket for these government programs (art) which suffer horribly from a lack of interest. There are more deserving, and dedicated, people in need of materials, cash, or volunteers all across the country. They aren't hard to find if you'd like to get involved. Not saying that you're neglecting some social responsibility if you don't involve yourself here. But it concerns me when someone will settle for the bare minimum provided by the govt. while agreeing to pay even more (note: I agree with many of your other points in this thread such as individual accountability)

To build on this point, do you remember the Music draft that went on in the OTC? That was a nice exposure to music, by a group of passionate individuals, for a message board that believes 2pac, The Beatles, and Nas are the biggest influences on music and culture in the last century.

Last edited by intrinsic : 05-28-2009 at 01:59 PM.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: