Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-10-2006, 05:06 PM   #46
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I dont think race has a thing to do with it since it seems/appears majority of players are black. So unless you can find white star players who pull the same stunt and dont recieve the same attention as TO. I'm not gonna buy it.

I think this is just a case of the sportsmedia targetting people who they dont like.
C'mon GOBB, you know that race plays some role in all of this. That's why I said how big a part is debatable. Agreed that the sports media doesn't like TO or Moss and that it has a lot to do with things that they've done to hurt their own images. Chad Johnson and Sosa are/were more "media-friendly", but I don't honestly think you can say that race has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:17 PM   #47
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
C'mon GOBB, you know that race plays some role in all of this. That's why I said how big a part is debatable. Agreed that the sports media doesn't like TO or Moss and that it has a lot to do with things that they've done to hurt their own images. Chad Johnson and Sosa are/were more "media-friendly", but I don't honestly think you can say that race has absolutely nothing to do with it.

So because some athletes arent media friendly and are of color then its a race issue?

I dont see how this is a race issue at all. You're gonna have to show me something, convince me. What I see is the sports media having the power of the pen and whomever decides not to give them what they want, whoever is controversial and can sell (draw interest regardless) is who they want to exploit. Thats all we are seeing. Nothing more than sports reality TV. You have a stage, you got characters now exploit the ones with personality.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:21 PM   #48
HALLandOATES
Local High School Star

HALLandOATES has decent reputation

alot of people never even heard of Shockey Who is he? a Mousekateer? That anwsers the topic question right there.
HALLandOATES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:25 PM   #49
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALLandOATES
alot of people never even heard of Shockey Who is he? a Mousekateer? That anwsers the topic question right there.

How is he unheard of when he was hype up upon being drafted and the first two years of his career? From the Howard Stern interview, middle finger in a playoff game, throwing a cup of ice at a kid (unknowingly but wanted to hit someone regardless). Get real, you dont follow football is all.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #50
HALLandOATES
Local High School Star

HALLandOATES has decent reputation

Quote:
How is he unheard of when he was hype up upon being drafted and the first two years of his career? From the Howard Stern interview, middle finger in a playoff game, throwing a cup of ice at a kid (unknowingly but wanted to hit someone regardless). Get real, you dont follow football is all.
Yes i know i don't, thats the point to the topic, more people are familar with TO and i am to even though i don't watch. I see the opening story on ESPN is on him all the time. Never heard of this kid Shokey, but whatever
HALLandOATES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:37 PM   #51
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Quote:
So because some athletes arent media friendly and are of color then its a race issue?

I dont see how this is a race issue at all. You're gonna have to show me something, convince me. What I see is the sports media having the power of the pen and whomever decides not to give them what they want, whoever is controversial and can sell (draw interest regardless) is who they want to exploit. Thats all we are seeing. Nothing more than sports reality TV. You have a stage, you got characters now exploit the ones with personality.
Ok, so it seems that you perceive this to be a color-blind issue and I don't. I can't present any stats or other "convincing" evidence to support my point that black athletes - in general - are under more scruntiny that white ones. The athletic world is nothing but a microcosm of the 'real' world. And we all know that its true in the real world.

Now, does this mean that every single black athlete is hated by the media? Of course not. Some are, and some aren't - as you've already pointed out. But I don't see how you can completely rule out the factor of race with this.

Maybe this is just an illustration of how two people perceive things differently.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #52
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
Ok, so it seems that you perceive this to be a color-blind issue and I don't. I can't present any stats or other "convincing" evidence to support my point that black athletes - in general - are under more scruntiny that white ones. The athletic world is nothing but a microcosm of the 'real' world. And we all know that its true in the real world.

Now, does this mean that every single black athlete is hated by the media? Of course not. Some are, and some aren't - as you've already pointed out. But I don't see how you can completely rule out the factor of race with this.

Maybe this is just an illustration of how two people perceive things differently.

Dont get me wrong I'm not saying race isnt a factor IN GENERAL. I'm saying in this case? The reason why TO is getting more scrutiny than Shockey isnt a race factor. I dont think race has anything to do with why TO catches more flak than others most notably white players. I'm not that naive to think race and sports arent an issue. Not at all, just speaking on this situation presented. Shockey gets roasted and he is only a TE, plus he is white. He's been called a hillbilly, hick, poor white trash before by the sports media and its fans. TO isnt media friendly which is why Chads gets away with the same things as TO does. Media likes him....they dont like you? You give them ammo ala Randy Moss "Straight cash baby", *pulls down pants in endzone on national tv* and they will exploit that.

If Randy Moss was white and didnt recieve the negative pub as a TO? I'd play the race card. Cant here.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:04 PM   #53
Shepseskaf
Old School

Quote:
The reason why TO is getting more scrutiny than Shockey isnt a race factor. I dont think race has anything to do with why TO catches more flak than others most notably white players.
Ehhhh... I hear you, but I'm still not convinced. I guess we can agree to disagree on this one. There is certainly any number of reasons - not just one - that TO and Shockey don't receive the same amount of heat. Certainly Shockey's lack of national notoriety plays a factor, as does the fact that he just isn't as good as TO. But race is definitely in there, even if a small part of the whole equation.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:29 PM   #54
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: OT: If Jeremy Shockey was African American...

Quote:
They still bust his chops about that playoff game where he thought that FG went through and was running around with his helmet off like an idiot even though it was short.

That was probably one of the most funny things I have ever seen happen in a football game...

Shockey kills me, I like the guy..
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: