Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
Nebraskanball
Gimme Worthy over LBJ.
 
Nebraskanball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 298
Default Where would Indiana have finished in the West?

Purely based off of their record they would have been a 6 seed.
If they had to play a western schedule, do they end up a 7 or 8 seed? Do they even make the playoffs?

Sorry Heat fans. I'm not impressed.
Nebraskanball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
Kingwillball
NBA rookie of the year
 
Kingwillball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,728
Default Re: Where would Indiana have finished in the West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraskanball
Purely based off of their record they would have been a 6 seed.
If they had to play a western schedule, do they end up a 7 or 8 seed? Do they even make the playoffs?

Sorry Heat fans. I'm not impressed.


U know what p!sses me off I get criticized for alot of my posts yet SH1t like this gets spewed and most won't even bat an eye.. The West is not much better than East overall.. Heat struggle more with the East teams than the West teams so your theory is nothing more than
Kingwillball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
plowking
Verticle?
 
plowking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: We goin' Sizzler
Posts: 28,390
Default Re: Where would Indiana have finished in the West?

Probably a top 3 seed. They actually play defense, so those no defense West teams would struggle to score on them and get scored on by a pretty simple offense on the Pacers part.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:07 AM   #4
dbk123
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,170
Default Re: Where would Indiana have finished in the West?

Lose to spurs or memphis in Wcf
dbk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #5
BrickingStar
Banned
 
BrickingStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,757
Default Re: Where would Indiana have finished in the West?

Finals
BrickingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #6
KG215
NBA Superstar
 
KG215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14,111
Default Re: Where would Indiana have finished in the West?

I'm not sure they're much better than the Warriors when they've got a healthy Bogut and Curry; so probably 6th or 7th. The Pacers were 8-10 this year against the 8 playoff teams from the West.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #7
All Net
Moderator
 
All Net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20,452
Default Re: Where would Indiana have finished in the West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Probably a top 3 seed. They actually play defense, so those no defense West teams would struggle to score on them and get scored on by a pretty simple offense on the Pacers part.
Yeah I think people don't realise how good their D is. They are more built for the playoffs than regular season.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #8
BrickingStar
Banned
 
BrickingStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,757
Default Re: Where would Indiana have finished in the West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
I'm not sure they're much better than the Warriors when they've got a healthy Bogut and Curry; so probably 6th or 7th. The Pacers were 8-10 this year against the 8 playoff teams from the West.
And what were the Knicks record
BrickingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #9
KG215
NBA Superstar
 
KG215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14,111
Default Re: Where would Indiana have finished in the West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Probably a top 3 seed. They actually play defense, so those no defense West teams would struggle to score on them and get scored on by a pretty simple offense on the Pacers part.
Huh, so I wonder why the Grizzlies didn't finish top 3 in the West?

Oh, and those "no defense" West teams had 4 top 10 DRtg teams: Grizzlies (2nd), Suprs (3rd), Thunder (4th), and Clippers (8th).

And 5 of the top 10 in opponent's FG%: Thunder (2nd), Grizzlies (3rd), Warriors (4th), Spurs (8th), Clippers (9th).

So all the WC teams that finished top 10 in DRtg and/or opponent FG% were playoff teams. But sure, the best teams in the West don't play defense.

Last edited by KG215 : 06-04-2013 at 02:19 AM.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:18 AM   #10
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star
 
chazzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 10,270
Default Re: Where would Indiana have finished in the West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Probably a top 3 seed. They actually play defense, so those no defense West teams would struggle to score on them and get scored on by a pretty simple offense on the Pacers part.
Not sure if 2013 plowking or not, but the West has the next 3 best defenses after Indiana
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:18 AM   #11
KG215
NBA Superstar
 
KG215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14,111
Default Re: Where would Indiana have finished in the West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Net
Yeah I think people don't realise how good their D is. They are more built for the playoffs than regular season.
I agree, but wouldn't they still be a team that's not as well-suited for the regular season in this hypothetical? They were 3-7 against the top 5 teams in the West this year (0-6 against the Thunder, Spurs, and Nuggets) and 8-10 against the playoff teams from the West. Even if they do win a few more games, do they improve by 8+ wins in the West? Because that's what it would've taken to finish top 5 in the West.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #12
plowking
Verticle?
 
plowking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: We goin' Sizzler
Posts: 28,390
Default Re: Where would Indiana have finished in the West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzy
Not sure if 2013 plowking or not, but the West has the next 3 best defenses after Indiana

In reality I do think they finish up anywhere from 3-5.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #13
All Net
Moderator
 
All Net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20,452
Default Re: Where would Indiana have finished in the West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
I agree, but wouldn't they still be a team that's not as well-suited for the regular season in this hypothetical? They were 3-7 against the top 5 teams in the West this year (0-6 against the Thunder, Spurs, and Nuggets) and 8-10 against the playoff teams from the West. Even if they do win a few more games, do they improve by 8+ wins in the West? Because that's what it would've taken to finish top 5 in the West.
Likely not no, but I do think like the Warriors the 6th seed beating the number 3 seed could see them knocking off a few higher seeds.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:26 AM   #14
plowking
Verticle?
 
plowking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: We goin' Sizzler
Posts: 28,390
Default Re: Where would Indiana have finished in the West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Huh, so I wonder why the Grizzlies didn't finish top 3 in the West?

Oh, and those "no defense" West teams had 4 top 10 DRtg teams: Grizzlies (2nd), Suprs (3rd), Thunder (4th), and Clippers (8th).

And 5 of the top 10 in opponent's FG%: Thunder (2nd), Grizzlies (3rd), Warriors (4th), Spurs (8th), Clippers (9th).

So all the WC teams that finished top 10 in DRtg and/or opponent FG% were playoff teams. But sure, the best teams in the West don't play defense.

They can be ranked whatever they want, Miami is a better defensive team than all of them, and defensive rating won't tell you that.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #15
KG215
NBA Superstar
 
KG215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14,111
Default Re: Where would Indiana have finished in the West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
In reality I do think they finish up anywhere from 3-5.

The Pacers finished 49-32. The Grizzlies and Clippers finished 4th and 5th with a 56-26 record. So Pacers would improve their record by 7+ games by switching to the better/deeper conference? Meaning they'd be playing twice as many games against those teams. The Pacers were 0-6 against the top 3 in the West, 3-7 against the top 6, and 9-9 against the top 9 (I included the Jazz because they were in the same position and right in the playoff hunt most of the season).

Last edited by KG215 : 06-04-2013 at 02:34 AM.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:53 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy