Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #16
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Posterize's Pro Prospects

Dionte Christmas, SG, Temple

The guy I know the most about in the draft, and yes this will be longer than any other player's review. I actually believed he was a little shorter but he measured out well for a 2 guard at the pre-draft measurements (6'4 barefoot, 6'5 with shoes, 211 lbs with a 6'9” wingspan). It's a good thing he measured this big as he had no shot of being transformed into a PG in the NBA.

Dionte may be the best in the draft in catch-and-shoot situations. He's as good as anyone at running around off of screens and finding open areas in the defense a la Reggie Miller/Rip Hamilton for his teammates to hit him with the pass for the jumper. In isolation situations Dionte lacks the ball handling/quickness to get to slash to the rim on a consistent basis. He has an excellent pull-up jumper and one of his favorite go-to moves is his step-back jumper, the same way Paul Pierce uses his.

Maybe the most underrated part of Dionte's game is his man-to-man defense. His long wingspan allows him to poke the ball away from his defenders and driving on Dionte is no easy task. In college he was capable of guarding every position except center. In the NBA that's obviously not the case, but he'll be no less than an average defender and won't hurt his team while on the court. His anticipation of passes and getting in the passing lanes is also an attribute.

Dionte also likes big games as shown in the 30 points in the 2nd half (35 total) he scored vs. Tyler Smith in an early season ESPN game and the 29 points he put up on James Harden in the first round of the NCAA tourney.

Christmas could struggle to find his niche in the league. What he lacks is athletic ability (both speed and jump). Projected as a 2nd round pick, I expect to see him drafted but not playing in the NBA next year. I'm not sure what teams would be able to draft a guy in the 2nd round and then run their 2nd round pick off of screens to try to get him an open jumper. He could be the Shan Foster of '09.

Comparison: Reggie Miller (not talent wise, style-wise)
Best Case Scenario: A guy brought in to score and score only, a taller Eddie House
Worst Case Scenario: Overseas stud

Examples of Dionte's catch-and-shoot skills, as well as his ability to come off screens and get into passing lanes can be seen in these videos:

35 points vs. Tennessee

29 points in battle with James Harden

23 points vs. Duke. LOL at him abusing Paulus on the block

Get to know Dionte:

"My dad always taught me it don't cost nothin to be a great person, so that's what I wanna be"

Quck Facts:

22 years old
Finished 4th in Temple scoring history
1st in 3 pointers made at Temple with 318(broke Lynn Greer's record of 305)
Led A-10 in scoring 3 straight seasons
Led Temple to back-to-back conference tournament championships
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #17
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

Christmas' background as a player looks pretty similar to Michael Redd's. Wouldn't suprise me at all to see him end up as a better NBA player than most of the SGs picked in the 1st round.

Maybe I value shooting too much but I just don't like Henderson/T. Williams that much for that one specific reason, especially Williams. Seems like the guy is scared to shoot the ball.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #18
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
I think it was the Pacers forum I posted in saying that T-Will would be good for them. But I forgot about Brandon Rush. What's going on with him? He had some great games (statistically) at the end of the year.

edit: It seems Williams is moving up some mocks. draftexpress now has him going to the Pacers

Back in Kansas working out, specifically his ball handling. He's up and down as a player, can take himself out of games when his shot isn't falling, but when it is he can be a force. Has confidence problems in short.

I've seen mentions of Williams having potential character problems, but can't find anything that's specific. Anyone know much about that? Just poor interviews or what?

Also, I've read that Indy wants Tyreke Evans fairly bad. With DC willing to move their pick, I could see a swap brewing. What it would entail, I have no clue. But it's possible.

Last edited by InspiredLebowski : 06-01-2009 at 03:56 PM.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #19
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Back in Kansas working out, specifically his ball handling. He's up and down as a player, can take himself out of games when his shot isn't falling, but when it is he can be a force. Has confidence problems in short.

I've seen mentions of Williams having potential character problems, but can't find anything that's specific. Anyone know much about that? Just poor interviews or what?

Also, I've read that Indy wants Tyreke Evans fairly bad. With DC willing to move their pick, I could see a swap brewing. What it would entail, I have no clue. But it's possible.
What's O'Brien's contract look like now?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #20
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
What's O'Brien's contract look like now?

Final year this season. Short of a 50 win season I don't see him coming back. Seems like he and Bird don't see eye to eye on certain things. Dick Harter's more or less the defensive coordinator but Bird doesn't think Obie's giving him say in the system. That and it seems like they both knew O'Brien was just a transitional coach to help with the housecleaning process, neither had any real long term aspirations.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #21
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Final year this season. Short of a 50 win season I don't see him coming back. Seems like he and Bird don't see eye to eye on certain things. Dick Harter's more or less the defensive coordinator but Bird doesn't think Obie's giving him say in the system. That and it seems like they both knew O'Brien was just a transitional coach to help with the housecleaning process, neither had any real long term aspirations.
That's the same way Philly used him, transition. He inherited a 33 win team, turned them into a 43 win team in his only season, and was fired because the hometown favorite Mo Cheeks became available. Always had a soft spot for JOB after that because I didn't think he got the respect he deserved.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #22
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
Christmas' background as a player looks pretty similar to Michael Redd's. Wouldn't suprise me at all to see him end up as a better NBA player than most of the SGs picked in the 1st round.

Maybe I value shooting too much but I just don't like Henderson/T. Williams that much for that one specific reason, especially Williams. Seems like the guy is scared to shoot the ball.
Redd had the advantage of learning behind a HOF guy in Ray Allen. Had to have helped him somewhat.

I'd take Dionte before I took Chase Budinger and Toney Douglas. I don't know enough about Marcus Thornton or Jermaine Taylor to say anything about them.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #23
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

James Johnson, F, Wake Forest

I really, really like this kid. Has a great all-around game as a small forward and is built like a tank, just pure muscle. But his size doesn't slow him down in the full court as he has great end to end speed. His size, strength, and speed is what makes him so intriguing. Measured a near 6'8 in shoes with a sick 7'1 wingspan, all with his 256 lbs of muscle. Not fat. The only thing working AGAINST Johnson at this point is that he's already 22 years old despite his sophomore status. I'm not one to look at age but NBA teams might have his stock even higher if he was younger.

Johnson really improved drastically from his freshman to sophomore years, all while taking a side role to scorer Jeff Teague and letting freshman Aminu get his touches. He flourished in the uptempo game and loved getting out on the break following defensive stops. He's going to need to improve on his deep jumper but he does have the range to the NBA line. Will never be anything close to a good shooter from out there but can become one that at least needs a hand in his face and to be respected.

Had his best 3 game stretch of the season when he had 24 pts/11 rebounds/2 steals, 26 pts/11 rebounds/1 blck, and 28 pts/18 rebounds/1 blck vs. GA Tech, Duke, and NC State. He also shot 60% from the floor in that stretch.

His game, as far as the impact he can have, could be similar to a Shawn Marion. A small forward who can switch to the power forward spot and present mismatch problems for the opposing team. He can give you those points, rebounds, blocks, and steals every single game and could be a future fantasy basketball stud. Gerald Wallace is also a name that comes to mind.

I don't look for JJ to be drafted past the Suns at #14. If he's still there I believe they take him. Rumors have Jonny Flynn going there as Nash's potential replacement, but why would they draft a PG if they already have Barbosa as well as 2 rookies from last year who are ball handlers (Singletary/Drajic)? The Suns have literally no future at the SF spot with Grant Hill nearing retirement and Matt Barnes a guy who isn't considered a starter in the league. It's hard to see him get past Phoenix, but he would also be a good replacement for Tayshaun (if traded) or AK47 (if he somehow dropped that far).

Best Case Scenario: Shawn Marion/Gerald Wallace
Worst Case Scenario: Bigger, stronger Jamario Moon
Stock: Anywhere from picks 9- 20
Best fits: Raptors (9), Nets (11), Suns (14), Pistons (15), Jazz (20)
Old 06-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #24
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

I can see Johnson as a PF in the Diaw/Rodney Rogers mold. He has good perimeter skills but he's 250 lbs. That kind of size needs to be in the post.

I would love to see the Bulls draft either him or Hansbrough at #16. I can see both of them beating out Thomas for the starting PF job eventually.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #25
Grinder

Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Singletary was traded to the Bobcats, Dragic hasn't played all that well when given meaningful minutes and Barbosa is more of a two guard anyway. I think the Suns will go with a point guard unless someone like Earl Clark falls to them.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #26
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
Singletary was traded to the Bobcats, Dragic hasn't played all that well when given meaningful minutes and Barbosa is more of a two guard anyway. I think the Suns will go with a point guard unless someone like Earl Clark falls to them.
Yeah Barbosa is more of a shoot first guy, but he can handle the ball. Who's going to fill in at SF? Dudley? Add in the fact that you can't always count on Grant's health. Earl Clark is another guy that could go there if he fell, but if Clark is gone and Johnson is there I see JJ in their future.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #27
Snoop_Cat
Banned

Snoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Could you do one on Evans and DeRozan
Snoop_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #28
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop_Cat
Could you do one on Evans and DeRozan
I'll do one on Evans for sure. My post on Derozan will probably be short though.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #29
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Austin Daye, F, Gonzaga

One of the players in the draft who I don't really expect to live up to a lot of the hype he's been given. Tested extremely poor in the predraft measurements. Was only 192 lbs despite his 6'10” frame, weighing even less than PG's Jonny Flynn and Ty Lawson. Showed off an extremely poor max vert (28.0 inches), was unable to bench 185 lbs even one time, finished 2nd to Jordan Hill in the agility drill, and dead last in the court sprint.

Has a VERY soft touch for a guy so tall. Maybe on of the best mid-range jumpers in the draft and definitely the best shooter 6'10” or taller. Great catch and shoot guy from 15-18 feet. Daye also has a very nice touch around the bucket but will need to take it up much strronger to finish in the NBA. He's capable of taking bigger defenders off the dribble with his quickness and could present some matchup problems. I've read before that he played guard when he was younger until receiving a late growth spurt so that's where most of his skills come from. Could be a dangerous pick n' pop player, similar to how Glen Davis plays (minus about 100 lbs).

One of his best skills is using his length to block shots without committing a foul. Most of his blocks come from guarding his man instead of from the weak side as he uses his arm length to time his opponent's jumpshot perfectly. I'm afraid that Daye is going to have to add a ton of weight to get on the floor. He doesn't possess the lateral quickness to defend smaller guys, and will get bullied by bigger PF/C in the league. He also seems to lack any sort of aggressiveness and seems content with just fitting in. Sometimes it led to me forgetting he was even on the floor. If he's not shooting or blocking a shot, he doesn't seem to be doing much of anything. He also lacks much of a post game for being so tall.

Overall he's a guy I'd like to give some time. I hope that he doesn't turn into the next Jared Jeffries. It's hard to give him a comparison right now because I think his body is far from what it will progress to over the next couple years. With added weight he could be a taller David West. I doubt we'll see much of Daye in his rookie season as there will be an emphasis put on his body and weight lifting. In a couple years he may look like a different guy.

Best Case Scenario: Atlanta (19), Utah (20), Dallas (22)

Last edited by Posterize246 : 06-03-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #30
The Big Skinny
The champ is here.

The Big Skinny is considered somewhat coolThe Big Skinny is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

Austin Daye, F, Gonzaga

One of the players in the draft who I don't really expect to live up to a lot of the hype he's been given. Tested extremely poor in the predraft measurements. Was only 192 lbs despite his 6'10 frame, weighing even less than PG's Jonny Flynn and Ty Lawson. Showed off an extremely poor max vert (28.0 inches), was unable to bench 185 lbs even one time, finished 2nd to Jordan Hill in the agility drill, and dead last in the court sprint.

Has a VERY soft touch for a guy so tall. Maybe on of the best mid-range jumpers in the draft and definitely the best shooter 6'10 or taller. Great catch and shoot guy from 15-18 feet. Daye also has a very nice touch around the bucket but will need to take it up much strronger to finish in the NBA. He's capable of taking bigger defenders off the dribble with his quickness and could present some matchup problems. I've read before that he played guard when he was younger until receiving a late growth spurt so that's where most of his skills come from. Could be a dangerous pick n' pop player, similar to how Glen Davis plays (minus about 100 lbs).

One of his best skills is using his length to block shots without committing a foul. Most of his blocks come from guarding his man instead of from the weak side as he uses his arm length to time his opponent's jumpshot perfectly. I'm afraid that Daye is going to add a ton of weight to get on the floor. He doesn't possess the lateral quickness to defend smaller guys, and will get bullied by bigger PF/C in the league. He also seems to lack any sort of aggressiveness and seems content with just fitting in. Sometimes it led to me forgetting he was even on the floor. If he's not shooting or blocking a shot, he doesn't seem to be doing much of anything. He also lacks much of a post game for being so tall.

Overall he's a guy I'd like to give some time. I hope that he doesn't turn into the next Jared Jeffries. It's hard to give him a comparison right now because I think his body is far from what it will progress to over the next couple years. With added weight he could be a taller David West. I doubt we'll see much of Daye in his rookie season as there will be an emphasis put on his body and weight lifting. In a couple years he may look like a different guy.

Best Case Scenario: Atlanta (19), Utah (20), Dallas (22)

AGREED!....he has bust written all over him.....he is a clone of Dallas PF Ryan Hollins with a 3 point shot....who agrees?
The Big Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: