Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #31
The Big Skinny
The champ is here.

The Big Skinny is considered somewhat coolThe Big Skinny is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Posterize's Pro Prospects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246

James Johnson, F, Wake Forest

I really, really like this kid. Has a great all-around game as a small forward and is built like a tank, just pure muscle. But his size doesn't slow him down in the full court as he has great end to end speed. His size, strength, and speed is what makes him so intriguing. Measured a near 6'8” in shoes with a sick 7'1” wingspan, all with his 256 lbs of muscle. Not fat. The only thing working AGAINST Johnson at this point is that he's already 22 years old despite his sophomore status. I'm not one to look at age but NBA teams might have his stock even higher if he was younger.

Johnson really improved drastically from his freshman to sophomore years, all while taking a side role to scorer Jeff Teague and letting freshman Aminu get his touches. He flourished in the uptempo game and loved getting out on the break following defensive stops. He's going to need to improve on his deep jumper but he does have the range to the NBA line. Will never be anything close to a good shooter from out there but can become one that at least needs a hand in his face and to be respected.

Had his best 3 game stretch of the season when he had 24 pts/11 rebounds/2 steals, 26 pts/11 rebounds/1 blck, and 28 pts/18 rebounds/1 blck vs. GA Tech, Duke, and NC State. He also shot 60% from the floor in that stretch.

His game, as far as the impact he can have, could be similar to a Shawn Marion. A small forward who can switch to the power forward spot and present mismatch problems for the opposing team. He can give you those points, rebounds, blocks, and steals every single game and could be a future fantasy basketball stud. Gerald Wallace is also a name that comes to mind.

I don't look for JJ to be drafted past the Suns at #14. If he's still there I believe they take him. Rumors have Jonny Flynn going there as Nash's potential replacement, but why would they draft a PG if they already have Barbosa as well as 2 rookies from last year who are ball handlers (Singletary/Drajic)? The Suns have literally no future at the SF spot with Grant Hill nearing retirement and Matt Barnes a guy who isn't considered a starter in the league. It's hard to see him get past Phoenix, but he would also be a good replacement for Tayshaun (if traded) or AK47 (if he somehow dropped that far).

Best Case Scenario: Shawn Marion/Gerald Wallace
Worst Case Scenario: Bigger, stronger Jamario Moon
Stock: Anywhere from picks 9- 20
Best fits: Raptors (9), Nets (11), Suns (14), Pistons (15), Jazz (20)

If Johnson drops past 12 he is a steal IMO...
The Big Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #32
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

anybody disagree with anything I've said?
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #33
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Austin Daye is Josh Duncan part 2.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #34
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Tyreke Evans, SG, Memphis

Tyreke is only 2nd to James Harden in this draft in slashing ability/getting to the rim. He has great footwork when driving and has an unstoppable spin move to his right hand when he gets into the paint. The only problem with his finishing ability is that he never is able to finish with his left hand. I thought when he did this in high school that he would be able to get rid of the habit, but it never stopped at Memphis. Every drive to the basket is either started with his right hand on the drive and finished with his right hand (correctly), a drive with his left and that special spin move back to his right hand (hard to stop), or a drive with his left and a difficult, off-the-wrong-foot finish with his right hand. He's going to have to fix this.

Evans is NOT a point guard at the next level. But he is very capable of sharing ball handling duties. He doesn't have great vision and struggles running any kind of pick n' roll, but when attacking the basket he has some of the best “dump off” passes. Very good at finding a teammate after drawing a double team. Could be dangerous on a team who likes to put a lot of their guys behind the arc (Toronto comes to mind). Finding Bargnani, Parker, Calderon, or Kapono standing behind the line after drawing their defender into the paint would be a great fit for him.

Holding Evans back currently is his outside jumper, and it's only going to get better by changing his form. He needs to get with a shooting coach quick, because shooting 1,000 jumpers a day with his current stroke will do nothing. Has a habit of leaning back on his shot instead of rising straight up. Needs to get that “phone booth” form to help him. Has the ball back by his ear instead of out in front of his hairline which causes him to shoot it kind of like a slingshot. Fact is he just can't shoot...whether it's a catch and shoot or off the dribble. He'll need to work on this and it's going to take time.

Evans' defense at the next level could be very good. Has good quickness and an extremely long wingspan that will allow him to continue to be a ball thief. He'll also be able to defend both guard positions and some smaller forwards.

Evans reminds me a lot of Larry Hughes back before he started to develop all the injuries. Same kind of driving/slashing ability, size, and I'm hoping teams don't try to force him to the PG spot like GSW did Larry. If he can ever develop any kind of jump shot he could mirror a Jamal Crawford. Very similar creativeness in driving to the bucket and finding open teammates, while also having a certain selfish “me-first” type of game.

Comparison: Philly/GSW/WAS Larry Hughes
Stock: 5-13
Best fits: GSW (7), Toronto (9), Milwaukee (9)
Old 06-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #35
noob cake
Good college starter

noob cake has not been impressing people

Gerald Henderson request
noob cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:37 PM   #36
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob cake
Gerald Henderson request
Soon. I think I'm doing Teague next.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:45 PM   #37
The Big Skinny
The champ is here.

The Big Skinny is considered somewhat coolThe Big Skinny is considered somewhat cool

I like this thread a lot....but all it does is make me wonder who my wiz will get...

E. Maynor Request?

Last edited by The Big Skinny : 06-03-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #38
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Skinny
I like this thread a lot....but all it does is make me wonder who my wiz will get...
I would expect them to take Jordan Hill or trade the pick. So much Harden talk but Nick Young is still young and promising at the position. PG and SF aren't needs. Jamison is up there in age and Haywood is coming off of injury. Etan Thomas is always a concern to be injured. Blatche is really the only guy out of the bigs who is a part of the future. So yeah...Hill or a trade down.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #39
The Big Skinny
The champ is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
I would expect them to take Jordan Hill or trade the pick. So much Harden talk but Nick Young is still young and promising at the position. PG and SF aren't needs. Jamison is up there in age and Haywood is coming off of injury. Etan Thomas is always a concern to be injured. Blatche is really the only guy out of the bigs who is a part of the future. So yeah...Hill or a trade down.

Yeah its not looking too good in terms of value. Jordan Hill gives us a Strong rebounder and legit post defender yet i feel he is raw offensively and doesn't seem his game will translate in the NBA. I want a trade down but due to the "weak" draft...i don't feel there will be many suitors.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:25 AM   #40
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

Do Psycho T...I want to hear what his Stans have to say.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #41
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Jeff Teague, PG/SG, Wake Forest

One of the best pure scorers in the draft and can fill the bucket up in a hurry. Has great hops and loves to throw it down on top of his defender. Measured smaller than he would have hoped at the pre-draft measurements and that only points to how he'll have to learn the PG position even more. Tested very well in the max vert (we knew he had hops) and speed drills and showed off a great wingspan.

The big question everyone has about Teague has nothing to do with his talent, but his shoot-first mentality as a PG. At only about 6'1”, he has no choice but to play PG in the league but has plenty of work to do. I'd like to see him drafted by a team like Utah, New Orleans, or Dallas so he can learn behind a veteran PG who knows the position but it might be tough for top 20 teams to pass on his talent.

As for his skills his jump shot isn't bad, but he'll need to get more lift on it to shoot from NBA three point range. Right now his jumper lacks just that, a jump. It's more of a set, push shot than an actual jumper. There are advantages to this; 1) it keeps his legs fresh and 2) he's able to get his shot off rather quickly. He's good at “shaking” his defender with the dribble and then rising up for the shot, and the quick release allows him to get it off before his man can recover. His ball handling is very good, but he tends to become flashy and can become turnover prone especially because of his isolation play. Again, if he ever learns how to play the PG spot then his ball handling could be one of his biggest strengths. But if he continues to look for his own shot then his ball handling/isolation could give his coach plenty of headaches.

Defensively his size hurts him against bigger guards. For whatever reason Teague's speed doesn't translate to the defensive end and defenders are capable of blowing by him whenever they choose. He lacks the strength/size to guard guys 6'2”/190 and bigger and could become a target when he's on the floor. An extra 10 lbs on his frame could help some.

I see a lot of Lou Williams when watching Teague. They both have the same small frame, freak athletes, shoot-first for their size, ball handling, and the pull up jumper off the dribble from the top of the key is spot-on to Lou. Has the same ability to contort his body near the rim to get the shot off. Lou is another guy who has been in the process of being changed into a PG, and while it's improved it's far from a finished product. Fact is, it's hard to change a guy's position/mindset. If you're drafting Teague you're drafting him because he's a great scorer, why draft a guy who's a great scorer if you plan on turning him into a set up guy? Why not just draft a set up guy (like Darren Collison)?

Comparison: Lou Williams
Stock: 13-21
Best Fits: Indiana (13), Atlanta (19)
Old 06-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #42
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

I did this same style of thread before, It got underlooked mightily but I agree with most of your views.

I think Evans doesn't have the athletic ability of young Larry.

Request Aaron Jackson

Last edited by Interminator : 06-04-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #43
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Gerald Henderson, SG, Duke

This kid really came into his own this year as he was not expected to be an '09 draftee just one year ago. Not sure if there's a player in the draft who shot up his draft stock in 1 year more so than Henderson. There were some questions about his height but tested okay at the predraft measurements (6'5” in shoes), just as tall as other SG's Wayne Ellington, Tyreke Evans, and James Harden. A solid 215 lbs, Henderson had the least body fat percentage in the draft. Also had one of the quickest ¾ court sprint times. He's in great shape. Expect many dunks from him at the next level (and I love his ability to dunk off of 2 feet).

Possesses possibly the best pull up mid range jump shot in this year's draft. Gets great elevation on his jumper and has very good form. Can go left or right with the dribble and rise up over his defender with the J. I believe this is the part of his game that reminds some posters on here of Kobe, the pull up jumper. Gerald also improved his three point range in his last season and there's no reason to believe that it won't keep improving with each season in the NBA. With his form and elevation the NBA line should be no problem extending out to.

Henderson uses his great athletic ability on the defensive end and has great timing to rise up and block shots despite his short size (similar, though not as good, to Dwyane Wade). Depending on how many minutes he's given in his career he could average close to a block a game some seasons. He also has a good sense for anticipating passes and getting into passing lanes. With his long arms (a near 6'11” wingspan) it's almost easy for him. He has the ability, with the right coaching, to be a very good defender. He's already half-way there just from his college teaching.

Two things I've noticed about Henderson is 1) he has a very good sense of knowing when to go for a backdoor cut and 2) he has great quickness when receiving the ball from a dribble hand-off and attacking the basket. The first one I think everyone has noticed. A simple play ran at Duke involved Henderson with the ball at the top of the key, passes it to Nolan Smith, then runs off of a screen to go back-door for the lob jam. He's not always going to be able to get those alley oops but that is an option. Another option that has become popular NBA wise is going off of that screen and spotting up in the corner for the 3. The dribble hand-off quickness is another strength of his. Henderson gets the dribble hand-off at the top of the key and attacks the rim quicker and as hard as anybody. He's a great finisher at the bucket and we'll be decent at getting to the free throw line at the next level.

I doubt Henderson's potential is more than a 16-18 point scorer in the league MAX. He lacks a desire to shoulder the offensive load for his team and would rather let a teammate be the go-to guy. Which isn't always a bad thing. If he can eventually become a 3rd option on a team that's the best place for him.

From little things I've seen it looks like the Bobcats have a liking for Gerald with the #12 pick. I watched a draftexpress interview of Gerald talking about how he knows Larry Brown from going to practices when he was younger, Gerald's best friend being the son of former Brown assistant Randy Ayers. Also that Larry's kids go to Gerald's old high school. The Bobcats are looking for both a SG and a C to play alongside Okafor. Since Thabeet will be long gone and I doubt they jump for Mullens this early (especially with Larry as coach), Henderson could go to them. One of Henderson's positives is that he's very polished and has the composure of a senior, which could get him on the floor early for Brown.

Comparison: Latrell Sprewell (luckily a complete opposite personality)
Stock: 12-18
Best Fits: Charlotte (12), Detroit (15), Chicago (16)
Old 06-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #44
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

700+ views
Old 06-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #45
NYK-Bball
CATCH ME IN TRAFFIC

NYK-Bball has an OK reputation so far

Do Stephen Curry next please.
NYK-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: