Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Default Sam Young injured in vertical leap test

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...rs_roster.html

Quote:
Sam Young, the fourth-leading scorer in Pittsburgh history, was hesitant when it came time for his vertical leap test last week. Just 3 weeks ago, Young was injured on the same test during a workout in Toronto.

"I jumped and smacked the flaps, I came down and the knob from the [vertical leap] pole went in my arm," Young said. "I felt it pinched me or scratched me. When they turned it [the pole] sideways, the knob twisted in my arm and made it a little more difficult to get it out."

Young said the maintenance department was called to bring out a chain saw, which was used to shorten the pole so that Young could get into an ambulance with the knob still stuck in his upper left arm.

"The pole was rattling, the knob was rattling in my arm, it was crazy," Young said. "The ambulance driver had to go over speed bumps to get out of the facility. [At the hospital] they drugged me up, I couldn't feel it and [the doctor] took the thing out of my arm. It took about an hour. It was 3 millimeters away from a blood vessel and another millimeter away from a nerve."

Because of the injury, Young could not perform the bench-press test, but he gave the vertical leap another go.

"I had a phobia and probably didn't do as well as I should have," Young said. "I was just trying to get it over with."

Temple guard Dionte Christmas witnessed Young's mishap.

"That was pretty crazy," Christmas said. "He's a tough guy. I can see that just from seeing him out on the court, but after that, he's definitely got my respect."
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
steve

Default Re: Sam Young injured in vertical leap test

Wait now, what happened? I just assumed it was Young hurting his leg to some degree, but that's ridiculous.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Default Re: Sam Young injured in vertical leap test

Video of it at a Pacers workout. Gnarly gash. Didn't seem like he was letting it effect him much.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: