Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 06-01-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Default Jordan has already earned a bit more of my respect (Dalembert related)

Quote:
"If you're a basketball player with a basketball IQ, it will be easy to learn," Jordan said.

He won over Sixers management with a four-hour "chalk talk" portion of his second interview when he explained how each Sixer would fit in his system. Stefanski hoped that will include unrestricted free-agent point guard Andre Miller. With Brand, Young and Marreese Speights in the front court, erratic center Samuel Dalembert might not be in the plans if he can't quickly adjust to the new scheme.

"If it doesn't happen, then you have other alternatives -- he can't play," Jordan said. "He may be just a spot player. If he doesn't accept that, then there are other alternatives."

Iguodala, guard Willie Green and center Jason Smith were on hand and threw their support behind Jordan.

Already doesn't like Sammy It's good he doesn't feel pressured to play Sammy because of his contract though. The players that deserve the PT will get it, and Sammy will get what he can. Love that.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Jordan has already earned a bit more of my respect (Dalembert related)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Already doesn't like Sammy It's good he doesn't feel pressured to play Sammy because of his contract though. The players that deserve the PT will get it, and Sammy will get what he can. Love that.

i clapped when i heard him say it on t.v.
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

Default Re: Jordan has already earned a bit more of my respect (Dalembert related)

Everyone says things. Now it's time to actually do something about it. Fact of the matter is that Sammy only played about half the game last season as is for his $11 million a year. If Sixers can't move him, it's reasonable to think he'll play even less this season if Brand is healthy, with Smith back and with Speights developing. Jordan is just saying what any other coach would have said. Fact is, no matter who the coach would be, they will not longer sacrifice wins if Dalembert isn't playing well by playing him because this season, if everyone is healthy, Sixers will actually have other options. Ideally, they can move him and Ivey to a team like the Bulls for Hinrich and Gray and be then able to take a guy like Budinger in the draft to be our shooter.
SixersFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
donsanchez306
High School Varsity 12th Man

but is he creative enough to play crazy line ups that we need played.

we already have an automatic young sf iggy sf.
where ever they play these two one will be out of position.

what would our best line-up be?

p.g of the future or present (if andre miller comes back)
iggy
young
brand
speezy
donsanchez306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

If it was possible to make Dalembert's trade value even lower, the Sixers are preemptively doing so with our new head coach singling out Sammy as a guy who might not be able to play in this system and hence will ride the pine. Not helpful at all. They know he can't play in this system so keep your mouth shut and try like hell to get someone to take him off our hands. Keeping a starting caliber center who makes about $12 million a year for the next two years on your bench is cutting your own nose off to spite your face.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

If Sixers dont like the idea of paying a guy that much money to play sporadically. They can move him for crap deals in return. 2 players where thier per year is lesser but they could play roles on this team that become more beneficial than what Dalembert did/would be doin. If I'm the Sixers I look into this if they arent doing so. This offseason teams may try to make such a move. The key to any deal is Dalembert 15% trade kicker. He'll have to be convinced to waive it and maybe he just might in order to move on where playing time is in abundance unlike here where nothing is guranteed. 15% trade kicker would add like $3mil or something I read. Alot to pass up but given how much you are guranteed the next two years? Pass it up over playing time where you can showcase these "skills" you claim to have.

How free agency this offseason for teams plays out we could get xmas early.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

I think they could get Dalembert to waive the kicker - at least by talking some logic to his agent. If they are moving him to a team that intends to play him, why try to hold them to the kicker and instead stay in Philly to ride the pine. If he can play well for 2 years, he gets another huge contract. If he rides the pine for Philly for 2 years, he gets a partial MLE deal (if that). The problem is getting someone to take him in the first place.

Who do you think we can realistically move him to and for what? It's not an easy question because of the money and the current financial situation of most teams, including the quest for cap space for 2010, limited incomes of owners impacted by the markets, his lack of success last season, etc.

There will be some other centers on the market this season, which further reduces Sammy's trade value. Cleveland will be open to trading Z, Shaq very well might be on the move, there is a remote possibility that Lakers move Bynum because Jackson doesn't seem to be a huge fan (although I would put that at no more than 5%), Camby and Kaman both could be had, Chandler is up for grabs and is available for nothing or next to nothing, Okur is a free agent, Portland might be willing to move Pryzbilla, New York will give Curry away, and Gortat (a restricted free agent) will draw some looks. Plus, while Birdman, Ben Wallace and Varejao aren't true centers, they are guys who can play some 5 and could also draw some interest (first and last are free agents and Wallace has a large expiring deal).

There are rumors of Shaq going to Cleveland, which likely would also involve Z being moved - possibly in the same deal. Cleveland has to spend at will this season because if they don't, they might lose LeBron in 2010 so they need to do their best to win next season. Phoenix has fiscal issues and needs to rebuild. Amare can opt out after next season and Nash will be a free agent and is getting long in the tooth. It might make some sense for both teams - Shaq and Jason Richardson for expiring contracts of Ben Wallace and Z, to go along with cheap, young guys like Hickson and West could make sense.

Okur will likely either re-sign with Utah or take an offer to go back to Detroit. He's not an ideal fit for other teams with money like OKC, Memphis, etc. If he goes to Detroit, Utah is not likely to trade for another big money center and will go with their rookie Greek phenom and the Ukrainian sensation - maybe bring in a cheap veteran. Detroit would presumably be no longer interested. If Lakers move Bynum, they'd likely get another big body plus in return and in either case, Dalembert wouldn't be able to play for Phil in such a structured system.

A list of teams who would have any interest in Sam is small. OKC wanted Chandler and being that his knees got red flagged, would they have any interest in taking on Dalembert? They can afford to do it financially and if Thabeet goes number 2, they might draft either Rubio, Hill or Harden and would still be in the market for a center. They have cap space, so the deal wouldn't have to match up, but for example, if they draft Hill, they have little need for Collison, who has 2 years left on his deal - they could dump his contract to Philly for Dalembert. We get a cheaper player who is easier to move and who is better than a guy like Evans if we have to keep him. Not ideal, but perhaps better than having Dalembert's contract on the books.
Maybe they toss in Earl Watson, who is in his last year. Again, not ideal since he's not a great fit because of his lack of shooting, but he's a veteran PG who can defend the position. Perhaps there is something there.

Chicago could use more size, although they need a beefy low post scorer much more than they need another lanky, shot blocking center. They have Miller and they have Noah, so probably not, although I still believe they will be looking to move Hinrich - they could get a better deal by moving Hinrich for an expiring contract though.

If Cleveland fails to land Shaq, do they go for depth and bring in Dalembert for Ben Wallace? Z is entering the last year of his contract and is showing his age and Varejao is up in the air. Even in that scenario, we'd have to add another player to make it work under the cap and they wouldn't have interest in anyone other than Speights or Young, whom we're not going to move just to shed some salary.

Who else is out there who might want this chump? Knicks might be treading water to move him for Curry and we're no better off with Curry and Brand than we are with Dalembert and Brand and probably worse off in fact.

Atlanta isn't likely to add salary with that dysfunctional ownership. Boston has Perkins.

Charlotte is a maybe because Brown likes guys who played for him before, even if he hates them while he has them. They have been looking for a true center for over a year now, wishing to play Okafor at the 4. The question is whether we could get anything in return that would make the deal worth our while? Diop is a 15 minute a game back up who has 4 years at the full MLE left on his contract. Mohammed has 2 years left, but he's also no more than a 15 minute a game back up and we'd have to take on another contract to make it work - perhaps Radmanovic - who is also a bench player with a bad contract. Would we be better off with Radmanovic and Mohammed over Dalembert when money and years of contracts evens out? Would Bobcats move Felton in a sign and trade for Dalembert if we agree to take Diop? Could we do a Felton and Mohammed for Dalembert? Is Felton a good fit here, considering we'd have to pony up good money and at least a 4 year deal?

Don't think Dallas or Denver would have any interest.

Pistons are a long shot. If they strike out on everyone else, do they take Dalembert? I doubt it on both accounts - Dumars is shrewd enough to either sign someone in free agency or trade for someone, given their cap space. If he strikes out, he might rather hold on to the cap space for 2010 and rebuild.

Golden State and Houston would have zero interest.

Can't see Larry Bird being too interested, although if he can't get a taker for Tinsley, do they move him and Foster for Sammy? Do they re-sign Jack, draft another PG and move Ford and Tinsley for Sammy? What would we do with 2 PGs like that? Tinsley is poison for them so I doubt they keep him and move Ford and Foster for Sammy, although if they find another taker for Tinsley, maybe there is a tiny chance they look to do something like that.

Clippers want to shed salary, not add and they have little need for another underperforming center. We already offered Sammy for Kaman, who has an extra year on his deal, albeit at less money, but it made no sense for them then and makes little sense now.

If Memphis drafts Rubio over Thabeet, do they want a rebounder and shot blocker to pair up with Gasol - both should be guys who play half the game and add different things? Possibly. Would adding Jaric, who has 2 years and Milicic, who has 1, do anything for us? Both are guys who should be at the end of the bench, although I suppose one could provide some depth at guard while the other one is arguably not much worse than Dalembert and has theoretical upside and one less year.

Does Miami have any interest at all? They could ship James Jones, who hasn't worked out there and has 4 years on his deal, albeit at not very big money, and Blount, who has an expiring contract.

Milwaukee has no need for Dalembert once Bogut is healthy and they are looking to shed salary, not add more.

Minnesota might want to have Love as the 3rd big and Jefferson at the 4, but Dalembert isn't a great fit there and they aren't taking on salary - the pieces don't match up without another team being involved.

Jersey, New Orleans, New York, Orlando, Phoenix, Portland, and Sacramento would have no interest. I guess if Chandler has injury issues and they can't move him and he won't retire, they might be interested in swapping the two, but doesn't seem like it would make much sense for either team.

Interestingly enough, San Antonio might have some interest, but it's hard to find contracts that would match up and would make sense for both teams. They could dump Oberto, Thomas and Bowen on us, all of whom have expiring deals, but why not hold onto them and wait for 2010? Then again, if Sammy is a good fit next to Duncan, rotating with Bonner, and they can use the MLE or a trade to get another defensive minded SF (Thomas we likely buy out anyway), they might think about it. Not likely, but crazier things have happened. In fact, Bowen could be a veteran leader who gives us 15 minutes of defense and wing 3 point shooting for one season, while Thomas likely gets bought out and Oberto might even return to Europe, saving us cash in the process. San Antonio would rather have Chandler in all likelihood, but his health issues might prove to be too much of a risk.

Would Toronto have any interest? They could take Dalembert and go really big with Bosh and Bargniani at the 2 and 3 with Calderon at the point and draft a SG. They could move Kapono and Banks for Sammy. They take on a little more money, but maybe Bosh is happier and the years are identical. Than again, they need a beefy guy down low - Curry might be a better fit for them than Sammy.

Utah isn't going to want him.

Washington? I doubt it. They have Haywood and Thomas coming back from injury. Thomas and Haywood are both in their walk years. Why add another year for a guy who isn't any better than a combination of those two?

Of course, there could be any number of 3 way trade scenarios and more complex deals that involve other core players from the Sixers roster that teams might have interest in - specifically, Speights and/or Young.

As a whole though, it doesn't seem like there is much of a market for Dalembert. It will take some wizzardry on Stefanskis part to pull off a Dalembert trade that actually makes the Sixers better, either short term (getting a better player) or long term (getting contracts that expire sooner).
Old 06-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
As a whole though, it doesn't seem like there is much of a market for Dalembert. It will take some wizzardry on Stefanskis part to pull off a Dalembert trade that actually makes the Sixers better, either short term (getting a better player) or long term (getting contracts that expire sooner).

Thats the thing to move Sammy a deal isnt so much to make them better or get an expirer sooner. Its to eat 2 bad contracts for the price of 1. The idea is to move Sammy. If you got to take John Doe 3yrs $6mil per and Jim Smith 3yrs $5mil per? Then that is the kind of trade I'm talkin about. You only hope John/Jim can satisfy needs depth wise and maybe just maybe provide something to the overall team. But in the end to get rid of Sammy you're basically going to eat an extra year of salary for 2 players as opposed to keeping Sammy for just 2 years.

With a deal like this? You'll find teams interested. The counter? Is it worth it and would Ed realistically consider such a move. Not sure. He tried to trade Sammy at the deadline but I'm unsure what was the hold up as far as what Sixers were asking for or refusing to take if teams threw offers back. Another counter is dispite Sammy's shortcomings a hole at Center will exist. Moving Sammy is good but who plays Center now? You're at a position where getting rid of him would be nice but the hole at Center is a ? mark. Jason Smith/Marreese Speights and sometimes Brand in certain situations would do the trick? Adding a vet big man as some Center by committee?

Regardless of any scenerio the theme remains, it wont be easy to move Sammy. Thanks Billy King.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

Unfortunately, there is no Jon Doe or John Smith - they'll have to make an actual trade, and that means naming specific teams who might be interested and specific players that we might have to take in return.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
GOBB Senior
Banned

Bad contracts are hard to move. Who fills in if Sam is gone? I would first work on getting him to step up his game within the new system.
GOBB Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixersFan76
Unfortunately, there is no Jon Doe or John Smith - they'll have to make an actual trade, and that means naming specific teams who might be interested and specific players that we might have to take in return.

Toronto Marcus Banks and Jason Kapono
Memphis Darko and Buckner
Charlotte Diaw and Radmonovic

OKC Watson and Collison

Last edited by GOBB : 06-08-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
ppierce34
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB Senior
Bad contracts are hard to move. Who fills in if Sam is gone? I would first work on getting him to step up his game within the new system.

They can find someone to fill in. I've given up on Sam stepping up his game. Actually given up long ago. He is what he is.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
donsanchez306
High School Varsity 12th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Memphis Darko and Buckner

YES! the mighty DARKO is the key to our dalembert problem. we can get in on this 2003 draft class action hell we have willie green still.
donsanchez306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #14
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsanchez306
YES! the mighty DARKO is the key to our dalembert problem. we can get in on this 2003 draft class action hell we have willie green still.

Wait so you get rid of Sammy's contract and you find room to complain because Darko is being brought back in return? You do realize you're not going to get rid of Sammy with an attractive trade offer? Surely you did. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:21 PM   #15
GOBB Senior
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppierce34
They can find someone to fill in. I've given up on Sam stepping up his game. Actually given up long ago. He is what he is.

it could all be about the system he was playing in. maybe the new system will benefit him more. who knows... but dumping his contract could cost them more if they can not get an equitable trade value. that's all i was trying to say.
GOBB Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: