Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 06-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #16
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

SixersFan76 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Jordan has already earned a bit more of my respect (Dalembert related)

GOBB is right on this point. If you manage to find a taker for Dalembert AND magically get guys with a shorter contract, you win. There is no chance in the world that you find a taker for Dalembert, get guys with shorter contracts AND get a better player. None. Memphis would have to be pretty desperate to trade for him in the first place, but if they pass on Thabeet and want a shot blocking center to pair with a decent center in Gasol, they do have money under the cap and fiscal flexibility to add an extra year. Milicic isn't likely to be any good, but he has one year at $5 million versus Dalembert at two years and $23 million. Jaric is also nothing more than a deep reserve, but he has two years at about $11 million and after this season, his contract becomes very movable.

As is, I would be shocked if Stefasnki found a taker for Dalembert. So far, I've been fairly disappointed with his stint here. He had a plan to land a big name free agent, to wit - he traded Korver for a future pick and expiring contracts and then traded Booth and Carney and that future pick for nothing. It made sense to free up cap space. Why he went after Band without dealing Miller, who can't run the pick and roll and who was a horrible fit with Brand before I'll never know. Signing Brand was not a bad move - he got hurt and no one could have predicted that, and it was always going to take about half a season before he got back into prime shape after missing almost a full season, by why sign a 29 year old PF whose bread and butter is the pick and roll without having anyone capable of running the pick and roll or anyone capable of hitting open shots in a half court offense I'll never know.

Moreover, while hindsight is 20-20, if someone has watched Dalembert, they would know that after his "breakout" season a year ago, that was the time to call anyone and everyone and try to move him - especially after the fiasco with the Canadian national team.

Finally, how do you not trade Miller and get something in return for him? First off, he is a bad fit with Brand, Iggy and Young. Secondly, he's turning 34 and entering free agency.

That's a total lack of foresight. And if Eddie more or less knew he was leaning toward eventually bringing in his own coach, likely Jordan, that makes not trading Dalembert after last season even more puzzling.
SixersFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #17
donsanchez306
High School Varsity 12th Man

donsanchez306 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Jordan has already earned a bit more of my respect (Dalembert related)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Wait so you get rid of Sammy's contract and you find room to complain because Darko is being brought back in return? You do realize you're not going to get rid of Sammy with an attractive trade offer? Surely you did. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here.
im for the trade and sarcasm is hard to convey on text. i don't care who we get back.......bring on retired players contracts for all i care. i had high hopes for both sammy and darko. i wouldn't mind a darko on philly hell i may even order a jersey with a pre paid credit card if they do it. you guys who live in philly are lucky just go to where ever and pick up anybodies jersey. ( if i won a decent amount of money i'd order a dalembert jersey to burn and send to ed stefanski as motivation.)
donsanchez306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #18
donsanchez306

[quote=SixersFan76]

Moreover, while hindsight is 20-20, if someone has watched Dalembert, they would know that after his "breakout" season a year ago, that was the time to call anyone and everyone and try to move him - especially after the fiasco with the Canadian national team.

QUOTE]
you know i am canadian. i was so happy sammy was on the national team. i was and then OKKAAI! hes a canuck now. then we had sammy d gate and he got the boot for conduct determental to team or something. but to the point you are right sixerfan we had our chance. hell cuban loved sammy d at some point saying he ranked him higher in several categories over the average for centers on how they evaluate them. i'd take anybody off that dallas team for sammy nebody......
Old 06-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #19
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

They tried, not many wanted him then lol
GOBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #20
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

I actually don't recall hearing anything about them making any attempts to deal him until they were well into the season and he was abysmall. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but I actually remember reading some articles and comments how this was going to be the year Sammy contends for an all-star spot. I can see Sammy and his agents being delusional, but Stefanski really should have known better and shopped him with all his might around the draft and in the summer, before the fiasco with the Canadian national team even took place.

One of the more poignant points about Sammy was an article last season about how Sammy spend all practice working on 3 point shooting with a personal shooting coach - 2 hours worth. For a guy who might take one or two three point shots all season, plays the center spot, has not a single thing remotely resembling a go to low post move, and can't consistently hit an open jumper on a catch and shoot from 12 to 15 feet, one has to wonder about a guy like that. He was what, 27 or 28 last year? If he doesn't get it by now, he will never get it. You listen to him and it's always been someone else's fault. I've never hear him be accountable for anything. Coaches don't give him the playing time, he spend too long on the bench, there aren't enough plays called for him, etc. It's a huge conspiracy to prevent him from becoming an all-star.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #21
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixersFan76
You listen to him and it's always been someone else's fault. I've never hear him be accountable for anything. Coaches don't give him the playing time, he spend too long on the bench, there aren't enough plays called for him, etc. It's a huge conspiracy to prevent him from becoming an all-star.
+1

He gets defensive when any blame is put on him. Last season he was quoted as saying "everyone needs to know what my role is. I rebound and play defense, I'm not a scorer so idk why people expect me to do that" (or something along those lines) when it's HIM that doesn't know his own role. Yes Sammy, your role is to rebound and play defense, so why are you trying to take your man off the dribble at the 3 point line?
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #22
ppierce34
High school junior varsity star

ppierce34 has an OK reputation so far

Sam had his value way back before he signed the big deal. I still remember the talk of the Suns offering Joe Johnson for Sam, obviously before JJ signed his big contract and King turning it down.

Never has there been a more a frustrating player than Samuel Dalembert. If you suck, you suck. The problem with Sam is, he doesn't understand he sucks. As it's been said it's always someone elses fault and he can't understand the cut in playing time or the frustration towards him. I can remember players from, Iverson to Webber to Iggy to Korver to McKie trying to explain to him when he's made a mistake, and many times you see that same old "nah not my fault" look on Sam's face.

Quote:
and can't consistently hit an open jumper on a catch and shoot from 12 to 15 feet

I'd love for him just to be able to get the "catch" part down.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #23
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

The sad part about Sam is that he doesn't have to suck - he can easily be a 10 point, 12 rebound, 3.5 block player. I pure talent, he's got more rebounding and shot blocking ability than Tyson Chandler and probably has a better offensive game too - he can hit his foul shots and he can hit a jumper from 10 to 12 from time to time. It's just that he makes idiotic plays consistently - the only consistent thing about his game is his inconsistency and he can't accept his own limitations, criticism of his game, coaching, etc. So he remains a guy who you can't keep on the floor for two long and who you can't depend on from game to game. If he worked on just one go to low post moved, learned how to rotate on defense, thus avoiding silly fouls, positioned himself, and let the game come to him, with his offense being limited to some put back dunks, some fast break points, and the occasional short jumper, he'd be better than Chandler.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #24
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
One of the more poignant points about Sammy was an article last season about how Sammy spend all practice working on 3 point shooting with a personal shooting coach - 2 hours worth. For a guy who might take one or two three point shots all season, plays the center spot, has not a single thing remotely resembling a go to low post move, and can't consistently hit an open jumper on a catch and shoot from 12 to 15 feet, one has to wonder about a guy like that. He was what, 27 or 28 last year? If he doesn't get it by now, he will never get it. You listen to him and it's always been someone else's fault. I've never hear him be accountable for anything. Coaches don't give him the playing time, he spend too long on the bench, there aren't enough plays called for him, etc. It's a huge conspiracy to prevent him from becoming an all-star.

Agreed, this is one of the biggest reasons I cant stand him. Its never his fault. He rubbed me the wrong way when as a 2nd year player he couldnt handle criticism by the coach at practice.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #25
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

As a 21 year old, you give a guy a certain amount of latitude. Maybe you also give some guys a pass for maturing a bit later than others, so in some cases, perhaps a 24 year old player won't be as mature as you would like. By the time the guy is 28 and is a grown man - he is who he is. Let's just say we don't like Sammy the player or Sammy's professionalism or attitude and it would be shocking if that ever changed. It's ridiculous to think that his basketball IQ and his personal development on a professional level in terms of handling criticism, coaching, working on his game, etc., hasn't changed from the day he entered the league to 8 years later. His wasted talent is our collective problem given his huge contract.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #26
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Yup.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #27
ppierce34
High school junior varsity star

ppierce34 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixersFan76
The sad part about Sam is that he doesn't have to suck - he can easily be a 10 point, 12 rebound, 3.5 block player. I pure talent, he's got more rebounding and shot blocking ability than Tyson Chandler and probably has a better offensive game too - he can hit his foul shots and he can hit a jumper from 10 to 12 from time to time. It's just that he makes idiotic plays consistently - the only consistent thing about his game is his inconsistency and he can't accept his own limitations, criticism of his game, coaching, etc. So he remains a guy who you can't keep on the floor for two long and who you can't depend on from game to game. If he worked on just one go to low post moved, learned how to rotate on defense, thus avoiding silly fouls, positioned himself, and let the game come to him, with his offense being limited to some put back dunks, some fast break points, and the occasional short jumper, he'd be better than Chandler.

My problem with Sam is never numbers, it's mental mistakes.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #28
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppierce34
My problem with Sam is never numbers, it's mental mistakes.

Huh? What? Huh? What do you mean?

Old 06-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #29
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I remember when he said the "SD" didn't stand for Samuel Dalembert but for "Strong Defense"...
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #30
donsanchez306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246

I remember when he said the "SD" didn't stand for Samuel Dalembert but for "Strong Defense"...
its all coming together ......
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: