Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
Interminator
Banned

Default Ricky Rubio Only Visting Memphis,OKC, & Sacramento

Quote:
One of the more interesting tidbits of information coming out of the pre-draft workouts the last two days in Oakland is word that the agent for Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio is suddenly amenable to participating in interviews and individuals workouts with a select number of teams - the Memphis Grizzlies, Oklahoma City Thunder and Kings. Sources told me that, at this point, Rubio's agent, Dan Fegan, is limiting the visits to the teams with draft picks 2-4. Given the fact that Jrue Holiday and Jonny Flynn are moving up on most mock draft boards, this makes sense. Plus, Rubio didn't play particularly well in his season finale. Holiday is expected to return to Sacramento for a second workout, Tyreke Evans is scheduled to work out here next week, and Flynn shortly thereafter. Since the Kings have been unusually accommodating to the media this year - in the past, the team refused to reveal which prospects were working out, and allowed no media access to the workouts - this should be a very interesting few weeks.
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...making-an.html
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
Interminator
Banned

Default Re: Ricky Rubio Only Visting Memphis,OKC, & Sacramento

Memphis might pass on Rubio, if reports are true that we are very high on Thabeet and that Rubio doesnt want to play here.

Oklahoma City will pass on Rubio, people in the organization believe Russell Westbrook is a PG.

Sacramento seems like the landing spot for Rubio, I dont see any way they take Holiday over Rubio unless the buyout factor is a huge problem.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Shepseskaf
Old School

Rubio will be average at best. Johny Flynn will be a better NBA guard in just about every aspect of the game.

The kid should just stay over in Spain.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
KubiliusF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
Rubio will be average at best. Johny Flynn will be a better NBA guard in just about every aspect of the game.

After two years this will sound so hillarious.
KubiliusF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepseskaf

We have opposite opinions.

I think Rubio will best the best NBA PG among the crop of PG's available.

I think Flynn will be the biggest disappointment considering how high people are projecting him to go.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
Torious
Great young streetballer

Sans some big endorsement deal (lol, right) I think he'll stay in spain. His manager did a fantastc job scaring off potential teams and if he doesn't get selected top 3 or so, the salary for the first two years won't even be enough to pay off the buyout.

Unless they're 100% sure he'll be a star in the NBA (in which case paying the BO would make sense) he should play it safe with 2 more seasons in spain and then enter the NBA.
Torious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
adamcz
Bucks fan

When Rubio started making his demands, he and his agent thought he was a consensus #2 prospect in the draft. Then Chad Ford interviewed all the GMs, and it turns out that only half of them think he's the best PG in the draft. Let me say that another time - half of NBA GMs think a different point guard (whether that be Flynn, Holliday, Curry, whoever) is better than Rubio.

He's no lock to go #2, and not even a lock to go top 4 (though I think it's most likely that he does go top 4).

He's obviously learning that he'll have to be more reasonable.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torious
Sans some big endorsement deal (lol, right) I think he'll stay in spain. His manager did a fantastc job scaring off potential teams and if he doesn't get selected top 3 or so, the salary for the first two years won't even be enough to pay off the buyout.

Unless they're 100% sure he'll be a star in the NBA (in which case paying the BO would make sense) he should play it safe with 2 more seasons in spain and then enter the NBA.
Rubio plans to file something in court against his club, it isnt fair at all with his buyout price.

Hes only making $100K per year due to a contract his parents signed for him, while his buyout is $8 Million.

Doesnt add up at all and unfortunately these things are too common in terms of soccer players in Brazil.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
joe
College superstar

For him, personally, staying in Spain is the best option. For me, selfishly, that'd be a terrible turn of events. I've been looking forward to seeing Rubio in an NBA jersey since the Olympics.

What's more, I've been watching the Thunder/Sonics closely since Durant arrived. Seeing Durant and Rubio on the same team would be the optimal outcome for me. But instead they're going to sit still with Russell Westbrook. Eh.

The whole "draft season" has been very disappointing for me personally thus far.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #10
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Hes only making $100K per year due to a contract his parents signed for him, while his buyout is $8 Million.
Must suck to have such dumb parents.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #11
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Must suck to have such dumb parents.

The problem is that it ensured that he would be unable to leave, $100K is great when you're 16 but you wont be able to make $4.5 Million when you're 18 if you take it.

Id rather make $4.5 Million in 09' than waiting(while risking injury) for 2012 to come, while making $100K per year.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #12
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

So if Rubio is only making 100k, why have so many people been saying he doesn't need to come to the NBA since he makes more money in Spain then he would on his rookie contract?
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #13
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
For him, personally, staying in Spain is the best option. For me, selfishly, that'd be a terrible turn of events. I've been looking forward to seeing Rubio in an NBA jersey since the Olympics.
No.
Leaving now makes the most sense for Rubio from a financial standpoint and the most sense in terms of his development, he's only 18 so it will definetly take some time to adjust to the NBA and its better he does it fresh out of HS basically.

Quote:
What's more, I've been watching the Thunder/Sonics closely since Durant arrived. Seeing Durant and Rubio on the same team would be the optimal outcome for me. But instead they're going to sit still with Russell Westbrook. Eh.
Westbrook is trash as a PG, hes is literally a poor mans Steve Francis without the scoring ability.
Moving him to SG or as a 6th Man CG makes too much sense for OKC.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
So if Rubio is only making 100k, why have so many people been saying he doesn't need to come to the NBA since he makes more money in Spain then he would on his rookie contract?
Because they know nothing.

Quote:
It's hard to imagine that the team will be so shortsighted as to refuse to negotiate a much lower buyout. The same club last season was paying Rubio -- its biggest star and best player around whom its marketing was built -- a salary of 70,000 euros, which by today's exchange rate is worth $97,706. For this season only, the club preemptively raised Rubio's salary to 210,000 euros, or $293,118, in an apparent attempt to show it was treating him fairly.

But there is no fairness by today's standard in paying a player less than $100,000 and demanding a buyout of $8 million. Joventut president Jordi Villacampa is a former star player who has to realize that he and his club will look monstrously bad if they prevent their young star from fulfilling his NBA dream by holding him to a contract Rubio's parents signed when he was 15. Joventut took advantage of the family -- envisioning Rubio's NBA potential when the family did not -- and NBA sources say Rubio's American agent, Dan Fegan, will pursue legal action if necessary to prevent the club from holding Rubio hostage. In the meantime, Joventut would lose the goodwill of Rubio as an ambassador, turning him into an enemy instead of the ally he could become over the course of his NBA career.

Thats nothing compared to the money he could make in the NBA, Von Wafer of the Houston Rockets made 2x more money last season than Rubio.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #15
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
After paying his buyout the amount of money left from his contract wouldn't be that much to make it worth playing for Memphis?
I don't know the numbers.
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: