Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Washington Wizards Forum

Washington Wizards Forum Washington Wizards forum - Washington Wizards message board

Old 01-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here
Default When will Gilbert Arena make a return?

?

I haven't seen him on the court for quite some time, is he still injured? fill me in wizard fans
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Re: When will Gilbert Arena make a return?

In February at the earliest, possibly. Maybe later
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

haterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this board

Whatever the case may be, one thing we know for sure is that he's in no hurry.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
NOVAwiz
Can barely lace up my sneakers

NOVAwiz has an OK reputation so far

i read somewhere that he was saying that he wasnt in a rush to come back with the wiz record. i dont care if he comes back this season but he should atleast be out there practicing with the team. He needs to get back to game shape. 2yrs off he will not have the leg strength.
NOVAwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAwiz
i read somewhere that he was saying that he wasnt in a rush to come back with the wiz record. i dont care if he comes back this season but he should atleast be out there practicing with the team. He needs to get back to game shape. 2yrs off he will not have the leg strength.
And not only that, I think it'd be discouraging to team morale to think that he's pretty much given up on the season and he's the guy who they're depending on to lead them for the next 6 years. Even if it's not realistic for them to make the playoffs anymore, it'd be nice for them to hear that he's gonna make every effort to get back on that court and at least play out the season for whatever it's worth.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
steve

steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
And not only that, I think it'd be discouraging to team morale to think that he's pretty much given up on the season and he's the guy who they're depending on to lead them for the next 6 years. Even if it's not realistic for them to make the playoffs anymore, it'd be nice for them to hear that he's gonna make every effort to get back on that court and at least play out the season for whatever it's worth.
Except it's not his decision. He's said a few times, if it was up to him he'd be back by now (probably as early as late December). But the management (specifically Grunfeld) has told him that they want him back to 100% and even delayed his scheduled rehab. All of this is starting to have a negative effect on Areans, who really just wants to be out there playing (I don't know what in his past would make anyone believe otherwise, honestly). So instead, because he's attempting to be a good teammate and not appear to be at odds with management, he's making statements of the "silver lining" variety but because he wears his emotions on his sleeve, it's coming off as vaguely negative (on top of the fact that his team continues to lose and there's nothing he can do about it at the moment).

It annoys me that this issue is fairly one sided. It's frustrating to see Arenas constantly twisting in the wind being the only one that is answering the media, when the driving force behind all of this is Grunfeld (who has mastered the "no comment" added with the glare of death, so media members really don't talk to him much). But I wish there was some accountability on their part here because Arenas is really having to carry most of the burden here and he shouldn't have to (this could be easily rectified if they just came out and said "we feel it's best to take things slow with Gilbert, to make sure that there's as little a chance of a recurring injury taking place down the road", but of course, nothing).
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
But I wish there was some accountability on their part here because Arenas is really having to carry most of the burden here and he shouldn't have to.

Arenas is the highest paid player on the team, so yeah he should have to take most of this so called "burden." He's being paid $111 mill over 6 seasons, so they have a right to want him back on the court. No, he can't choose when he's 100%, but he clearly said that he's in no rush to come back this season because of the team record, which insinuates that if the team had a playoff shot, he'd probably care a hell of a lot more.. Look at a guy like Elton Brand on the other hand last year who despite the clippers not being a playoff team said he was gonna work his ass off to come back and get some games in.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
steve

steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Arenas is the highest paid player on the team, so yeah he should have to take most of this so called "burden." He's being paid $111 mill over 6 seasons, so they have a right to want him back on the court. No, he can't choose when he's 100%, but he clearly said that he's in no rush to come back this season because of the team record, which insinuates that if the team had a playoff shot, he'd probably care a hell of a lot more.. Look at a guy like Elton Brand on the other hand last year who despite the clippers not being a playoff team said he was gonna work his ass off to come back and get some games in.
And you don't think that he said that because management has told him specifically that they're not really looking to bring him back any time soon. Plus, why shouldn't management take most of the blame here? They're the ones who offered him the contract and the ones who are currently taking his rehab at a snails pace. The reason Brand came back last season the way he did is because Grunfeld has a lot more control over this situation than Dunleavy/Baylor had over Brand returning for the Clippers. Also it was a contract year, so the circumstances of him returning had nothing to do with trying to help the team and everything to do with increasing his market value (in fact, if there is blame to place on Arenas, it's that he's in the situation he's in now because he did the same Brand did last season).
Old 01-31-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
bokes15
Playoffs!

Excuse my ignorance here, but I have no idea what management did or did not tell the guy. There's documented proof of Agent Zero having said this:

Quote:
"I don't know. I mean, seven wins? Would you?" said the three-time All-Star, who last July signed a six-year, $111 million contract to remain in the District. "And truthfully, right now, I'm not even close."
Old 02-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

catzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

13 games in the last two years, that's gotta be awesome.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
NOVAwiz

NOVAwiz has an OK reputation so far

Honestly I rather him not come back this year but I would like to see him practice with the team. I have no problem using the rest of this season to get the young guys some experience. The team does need him at practice so next year they will be used to him and the younger guys will have the experience to make them a deeper team.

With him having this huge contract he has to know that they will not be able to sign any big time free agents so he needs to help out with these young guys. When you make that much money you turn into the team leader if you like it or not.
NOVAwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #12
GiveItToBurrito

Hopefully he'll come back in March and play light minutes. I doubt he'll come back without a lot of prodding, though, if only for the good of the team a la DWade last year.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #13
steve

If the Wizards were anywhere near a playoff spot, he'd be playing. As it stands now, I bet that he'll start playing once the Wizards are guaranteed a bottom five finish. So, I'd guess around mid March.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
Dcarr81

Dcarr81 has an OK reputation so far

Let Gil take his time off cause look what happened last time he rushed back for the playoffs just last year he ended up hurting himself again. That is the reason he is STILL out so Wizards fans I ask you this would you like Gilbert to rush back just to get injured again just to get 20 more wins? I think not Gilbert has also said that he is running 1 vs. 1 games against Nick Young which might be why Nick has been so good as of late because Gilbert has been giving him pointers. Anyway that's the end of my rant. And once again just be patient with Gilbert he is just being cautious right now and I applaud that.
Dcarr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #15
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat cool

Gil0 came back with 15pts and 10ast.

Good to see him back.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_y... 2827&prov=ap
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: