Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #31
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Ricky Rubio seeking buyout from Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimoto
Why did he sign that contract in the first place...he must have known he was going to the NBA sooner or later.

That's what I've been wondering for a while.

I've seen other euro-prospects falling in his situation. While it's really an obvious move from the standpoint of the signing team, because you don't want to see the talent you heavily invested to develop just leave to the US, other players I had seen falling into this were either:

a) Developing talents who weren't thought to be able to land soon in the NBA
b) Players in tough financial situations
c) Players with weak advisers who went for the $$ without second thoughts

(b) is unlikely to be the case as I've never heard he comes from a tough background.

The reason is probably a mixture of (a) and (c). Of course, he went for the $$ you'd say, as he is currently payed 160,000€ but that was an amount that Unicaja unilaterally raised until recently. Before that he was making 80,000 (half). And the hype surrounding him was already there at 16 (he had legendary performances in the U-16 euro tournament).

Still, rumors have that the 6 million Euro buyout for the 6 year deal he signed were right there from the beginning, independent from the salary raise (which was probably made to make Rubio happy and make look the 6 million buyout reasonable).

Which I find odd. He signed a 6 year deal when he was 16, with a 6 million buyout. He always have had his family as his advisers, and either if every one was in for the money, or if they were aiming at the NBA draft, you'd say a 6 million buyout isn't reasonable for a 80,000 € contract, nor signing a 6 year deal at 16, when there were NBA possibilities just 2~4 years ahead.

Last edited by artificial : 06-09-2009 at 12:40 PM.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #32
john_d
just read'n.

john_d has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
That's what I've been wondering for a while.

I've seen other euro-prospects falling in his situation. While it's really an obvious move from the standpoint of the signing team, because you don't want to see the talent you heavily invested to develop just leave to the US, other players I had seen falling into this were either:

a) Developing talents who weren't thought to be able to land soon in the NBA
b) Players in tough financial situations
c) Players with weak advisers who went for the $$ without second thoughts

(b) is unlikely to be the case as I've never heard he comes from a tough background.

The reason is probably a mixture of (a) and (c). Of course, he went for the $$ you'd say, as he is currently payed 160,000€ but that was an amount that Unicaja unilaterally raised until recently. Before that he was making 80,000 (half). And the hype surrounding him was already there at 16 (he had legendary performances in the U-16 euro tournament).

Still, rumors have that the 6 million Euro buyout for the 6 year deal he signed were right there from the beginning, independent from the salary raise (which was probably made to make Rubio happy and make look the 6 million buyout reasonable).

Which I find odd. He signed a 6 year deal when he was 16, with a 6 million buyout. He always have had his family as his advisers, and either if every one was in for the money, or if they were aiming at the NBA draft, you'd say a 6 million buyout isn't reasonable for a 80,000 € contract, nor signing a 6 year deal at 16, when there were NBA possibilities just 2~4 years ahead.

he probably matured faster than what his parent/advisers thought.
john_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #33
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Rubio Says Bye to Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
I don't really see it. He isn't strong or quick (meaning quick by NBA pg standards). What will make him a good defender on the perimeter?
I don't see it either. I just watched the Team USA v. Spain games again, and I think he's going to have physical problems matching up with starting point guards.

The Rubio debate reminds me of the polarized Oden pro and against camps. Hopefully, the truth will turn out to be kinder to Rubio than its been for Greg.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #34
Lakas Fan Yo
Banned

Lakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputation

http://www.in-the-game.org/?page_id=779

His salary is 300,000 euros NET. That's like $800,000 a year in the NBA. ESPN should be sued by his club already for the endless lies they write about his salary.
Lakas Fan Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #35
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

Maybe that's just how deals work over there. Teams won't sign you unless you take on that massive buyout clause. Idk.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #36
Jonelo
I brick open layups

Jonelo has decent reputation

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4246467

Quote:

Ricky Rubio now must deal with the Spanish government if he wants to play in the NBA.

The guard has been trying to get out of his contract with Spanish league team DKV Joventut but has met resistance. On Tuesday, according to the Spanish news agency EFE, Rubio sued the team after learning that it had transferred the rights to his buyout to Hacienda, the Spanish version of the Internal Revenue Service. The rights were sold to satisfy a debt Joventut had with Hacienda.

Leopoldo Hinjos, Rubio's lawyer, claims that the team did not inform his client that his rights were about to be ceded to a third party. The team says that representatives of Hacienda went to Joventut's offices and demanded a guarantee to cover the outstanding debt.

Rubio has challenged the 4.75 million Euro (approximately $6.6 million) buyout, which climbs to 5.75 million Euros after June 30. Rubio made 70,000 Euros last season (about $97,000) and is scheduled to make 125,000 Euros next season (about $175,000). Rubio's father Esteban told ESPN's Chad Nielsen on Monday that the buyout is disproportionate to his salary.

Rubio had refrained from filing a lawsuit and instead had asked an arbitrator to settle the case. The transfer of his buyout to the government appears to have changed that.

Bad news . Ricky has to negotiate or start the a lawsuit directly with "Hacienda" , and everything is quite complicated. Probably will only get to a big market in the NBA for take a good contracts with Nike or another marks for pay almost 6 million euros. Maybe Ricky will be one more year in Europe, but the current situation is very tense with his team. His team needs that Ricky for pay the money to survive, but Ricky can not easily pay that amount. Nobody knows what will happen, but everything is going very badly for all parts.

Last edited by Jonelo : 06-10-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Jonelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #37
GoldMedallist
Great young streetballer

GoldMedallist has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Maybe that's just how deals work over there. Teams won't sign you unless you take on that massive buyout clause. Idk.

Exactly. Specially with young players and promises. It's sad but it's true.
GoldMedallist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #38
gcfeldma
Can barely lace up my sneakers

gcfeldma has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Rubio Says Bye to Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
I am glad to hear its official that Rubio will be in the NBA next year.

I think Rubios NBA comparison is more like Jason Williams. Kirk Hinrich will never be able to pass the ball like Rubio. On the other hand, Kirk is about 10 miles better at shooting than Rubio.

I think Rubio will be pretty good when it's all said and done, probably somewhere around Steve Nash with a bad jumper. Or maybe a bad rebounding version of Kidd.

These are pretty solid comparisons. Rubio is not a speical type like Kidd or Nash, but he is only 18. That is a long time to improve a jump shot. He plays great defense (7 steals against Russia in FIBA tournament, DPOY in Spain), and he has excellent vision. The problem that he will run into is the athleticism of other guards. Rubio could be one of two things: a complete and total star or a complete and total bust. It depends on how hard he is willing to work on strength and conditioning, and his on-court shortcomings such as shooting.

Check out this blog. Hilarious stuff. Great NBA section.

http://popcornmuscles.com/
gcfeldma is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: