Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #31
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year
 
tontoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,886
tontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this board
Default Re: I should of became a professional poker player

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Uh, no, I didn't. You said tournaments are simpler than cash games. I disagree with you.


This part is true. However, you've neglected to mention how the blind structure constantly makes you make plays you are uncomfortable with.


You've given one example of how tournament play is "simpler," and that is being short-stacked and having to go all in pre-flop. As I alluded to before, you've ignored things like having to make certain plays you aren't familiar or comfortable with with certain cards, which is extremely difficult. If you're in a cash game and you only have 3 times the big blind left with pocket nines, chances are pretty damn high your stack is going to be in the pot anyway. There isn't "a lot" of different ways to play nines if you only have barely enough to make a standard raise, the situation you outlined.

In cash games, you have the freedom to play only the cards you want, only make plays you are comfortable with, and generally play exactly how you want to play.

You seem to be confusing the words comfortable and simple. I suggest you look them up in the dictionary. They aren't the same thing.

The bigger the blinds are relative to your chip stack the fewer options you have available and the simpler your decisions become. That is a fact. Whether or not you are familiar or comfortable with this is irrelevant.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #32
qrich
King Heno
 
qrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson/520!
Posts: 18,589
qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: I should of became a professional poker player

Quote:
Originally Posted by wTFaMonkey
we have to find a site where we can do private tourneys thoe

Not really. We can just sit at a regular table with everyone having the same buy-in and seeing who is the last one left. Whoever runs out of chips stays on the table and just sits out to ensure no other people join th etable.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #33
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,620
johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: I should of became a professional poker player

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontoz
The bigger the blinds are relative to your chip stack the fewer options you have available and the simpler your decisions become. That is a fact. Whether or not you are familiar or comfortable with this is irrelevant.
Uh, no it isn't, because when you start playing cards you wouldn't normally play because of chip issues, it gets you into difficult decision making territory. Just because it's a tournament and the blinds get high doesn't mean you're going all in every time there's a pot. You start playing cards you wouldn't normally play or make plays you wouldn't normally be comfortable with, the decisions get more difficult. It's not like every hand you make one decision and that's it. If you start playing outside of your comfort zone, it isn't just "all in" and you don't have to think every time. You still have to play pots, and seeing how as anything can happen in poker, the decisions you have to make during a hand become more difficult because you aren't familiar with them; you have no frame of reference because in a cash game you'd never ever even be in the hand.

You are right to a degree, but again, you are focusing on one aspect of it while completely neglecting the rest. You're tunnel visioning bigtime.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #34
tastystaci
Local High School Star
 
tastystaci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,337
tastystaci has decent reputation
Default Re: I should of became a professional poker player

I do play professionally,(I have four tables up right now in the background) and believe me, it's not easy at all. What job do you know that you could put an 8 hour day in, and lose money? When they say poker is an easy way to make a tough living, that's no joke. I have bad months, and it's really stressful on you and your family. It takes a certain type of person to handle the ups and downs, the bad beats, the bad runs, etc. When your playing against fields of 4-5K, luck is a big factor in the short term. One bad card can cost you thousands of dollars.
tastystaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #35
YAWN
NBA All-star
 
YAWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,346
YAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: I should of became a professional poker player

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
Not really. We can just sit at a regular table with everyone having the same buy-in and seeing who is the last one left. Whoever runs out of chips stays on the table and just sits out to ensure no other people join th etable.

the concept sounds easy, but the execution for whatever reason im sure will be a pain in the ass.

id like to throw my name in the hat in for this though
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #36
YAWN
NBA All-star
 
YAWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,346
YAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: I should of became a professional poker player

im coming to terms that im just jealous that its him and not me

YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #37
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year
 
tontoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,886
tontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this board
Default Re: I should of became a professional poker player

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Uh, no it isn't, because when you start playing cards you wouldn't normally play because of chip issues, it gets you into difficult decision making territory. Just because it's a tournament and the blinds get high doesn't mean you're going all in every time there's a pot. You start playing cards you wouldn't normally play or make plays you wouldn't normally be comfortable with, the decisions get more difficult. It's not like every hand you make one decision and that's it. If you start playing outside of your comfort zone, it isn't just "all in" and you don't have to think every time. You still have to play pots, and seeing how as anything can happen in poker, the decisions you have to make during a hand become more difficult because you aren't familiar with them; you have no frame of reference because in a cash game you'd never ever even be in the hand.

You are right to a degree, but again, you are focusing on one aspect of it while completely neglecting the rest. You're tunnel visioning bigtime.

Again you show that you don't understand what the word simple means.


"Comfort zone" is irrelevant when judging the complexity of a decision. it doesn't matter whether you are comfortable or not. There may only be one possible play in certain scenarios. Just because you aren't comfortable with it doesn't make it any less simple.

In cash games you have far more options available therefore the decisions are more complex.

You are looking at it only in terms of someone who plays cash games all the time and isn't familiar with tournaments. If we assume that a player is familiar with both forms of poker all of your "points" go out the window.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #38
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,620
johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: I should of became a professional poker player

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontoz
Again you show that you don't understand what the word simple means.


"Comfort zone" is irrelevant when judging the complexity of a decision. it doesn't matter whether you are comfortable or not. There may only be one possible play in certain scenarios. Just because you aren't comfortable with it doesn't make it any less simple.

In cash games you have far more options available therefore the decisions are more complex.

You are looking at it only in terms of someone who plays cash games all the time and isn't familiar with tournaments. If we assume that a player is familiar with both forms of poker all of your "points" go out the window.
And I see you've proven you don't read so well. Is there a reason you completely (and I do mean completely) ignored the part about putting yourself in situations where you are forced to make DIFFICULT decisions you aren't really all that familiar with because you were forced to play something you didn't want to? Sometimes there may only be one play. Sometimes there may not be. And if you've just put yourself in a sh*t situation because of chips, you are faced with very tough choices. It's not like just because you have x amount of chips that every play in a hand is BANG BANG BANG BANG, that easy. If you have a tiny stack and get a pair, you're gonna push. This is what's going to happen in a cash game, too.

When I play a cash game, I know what cards I want to play. I know when I want to play them, and I know how I want to play them. The only example you've given about how a tourney is simpler is by saying when you're short stacked you've gotta push with no option of folding. That's been the entire meat of your argument so far.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #39
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe
 
wTFaMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: COOGS HOUSE
Posts: 4,941
wTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: I should of became a professional poker player

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
Not really. We can just sit at a regular table with everyone having the same buy-in and seeing who is the last one left. Whoever runs out of chips stays on the table and just sits out to ensure no other people join th etable.

we tried that idea already... and it failed miserably.

1. blinds don't increase
2. random people get in
3. afkers

it will fail, unless we find a site where we can do a private tourney
wTFaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #40
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year
 
tontoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,886
tontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this board
Default Re: I should of became a professional poker player

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
And I see you've proven you don't read so well. Is there a reason you completely (and I do mean completely) ignored the part about putting yourself in situations where you are forced to make DIFFICULT decisions you aren't really all that familiar with because you were forced to play something you didn't want to?

Again you still don't get it.

Fewer possible options = simpler decision

I can't make it any simpler than that. Your "familiar" nonsense is just that, nonsense. Whether you are familiar with tournament play is irrelevant when judging the complexity of a decision. And you are looking at it SOLELY from the perspective (obviously your own) of someone who is "familiar" with cash games but isn't "familiar" with tournaments.

If a guy plays a lot of tourneys and a lot of cash games he is "familiar" with all of the options in both. Therefore your entire "familiar" argument gets flushed down the toilet.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #41
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year
 
tontoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,886
tontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this board
Default Re: I should of became a professional poker player

Here is the definition of the word simple.

Quote:
1sim·ple
Pronunciation: \ˈsim-pəl\
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): sim·pler \-p(ə-)lər\ ; sim·plest \-p(ə-)ləst\
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Medieval Latin simplus, alteration of Latin simplic-, simplex single, having one ingredient, plain, from sem-, sim- one + -plic-, -plex -fold — more at same, -fold
Date: 13th century
1: free from guile : innocent
2 a: free from vanity : modest b: free from ostentation or display <a simple outfit>
3: of humble origin or modest position <a simple farmer>
4 a: lacking in knowledge or expertise <a simple amateur of the arts> b (1): stupid (2): mentally retarded c: not socially or culturally sophisticated : naive ; also : credulous
5 a: sheer, unmixed <simple honesty> b: free of secondary complications <a simple vitamin deficiency> c (1): having only one main clause and no subordinate clauses <a simple sentence> (2)of a subject or predicate : having no modifiers, complements, or objects d: constituting a basic element : fundamental e: not made up of many like units <a simple eye>
6: free from elaboration or figuration <simple harmony>
7 a (1): not subdivided into branches or leaflets <a simple stem> <a simple leaf> (2): consisting of a single carpel (3): developing from a single ovary <a simple fruit> b: controlled by a single gene <simple inherited characters>
8: not limited or restricted : unconditional <a simple obligation>
9: readily understood or performed <simple directions> <the adjustment was simple to make>
10of a statistical hypothesis : specifying exact values for one or more statistical parameters — compare composite 3
— sim·ple·ness \-pəl-nəs\ noun
synonyms simple, foolish, silly, fatuous, asinine mean actually or apparently deficient in intelligence. simple implies a degree of intelligence inadequate to cope with anything complex or involving mental effort <considered people simple who had trouble with computers>. foolish implies the character of being or seeming unable to use judgment, discretion, or good sense <foolish stunts>. silly suggests failure to act as a rational being especially by ridiculous behavior <the silly antics of revelers>. fatuous implies foolishness, inanity, and

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/simple

Please show me where the words "familiar" and "comfortable" appear in this definition.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #42
qrich
King Heno
 
qrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson/520!
Posts: 18,589
qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: I should of became a professional poker player

Quote:
Originally Posted by wTFaMonkey
we tried that idea already... and it failed miserably.

1. blinds don't increase
2. random people get in
3. afkers

it will fail, unless we find a site where we can do a private tourney

Didn't know about that, and I don't think there are any sites which we can besides crappy ass pogo which only allows 4 players at a table.

Guess best we can do is get as many people and enter a S&G and see who lasts the longest or some ish
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #43
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 11,893
~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: I should of became a professional poker player

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAWN
im coming to terms that im just jealous that its him and not me


Jacob Kalb?

http://www.worldseriesofpoker.com/pl...playerID=58560

It says nothing about him winning $99k though and that site updates on the fly???
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #44
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe
 
wTFaMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: COOGS HOUSE
Posts: 4,941
wTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: I should of became a professional poker player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
Jacob Kalb?

http://www.worldseriesofpoker.com/pl...playerID=58560

It says nothing about him winning $99k though and that site updates on the fly???

hmm...

try this one..

http://www.pokerpages.com/players/pr...jacob-kalb.htm
wTFaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #45
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 11,893
~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: I should of became a professional poker player

Quote:
Originally Posted by wTFaMonkey
ohh...

I guess that "Deep Stack" deal is at the Venetian...not part of the WSOP...


wow...that should be a good buddy to have when he comes home YAWN...

drinks on him...
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:30 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy