Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 06-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
qrich
King Heno

qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here
Default 76ers Get Their Shooter

Quote:
Just a quick heads-up while I write the quick story but the Raptors have made a trade, league sources tell me.

Jason Kapono's gone to the Philaelphia 76ers for Reggie Evans.

Now, off to figure the financial repercussions; will be back with a story in a little bit.

Doug Smith, Raptors Blog
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: 76ers Get Their Shooter

Good look.

Kapono's got 2 three point shootouts in the bag and this opens up more room at PF for Speights and the return of Brand. Kapono's deal is shorter than Reggie's too.

I approve.

edit: I'll miss the "REG-GIE! REG-GIE!" chants at the games though. He was a fan favorite. Toronto should appreciate him.

Last edited by Posterize246 : 06-09-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
nicsman
UK Philadelphian

nicsman has an OK reputation so far

Not sure what he'll be like, we will lose some D but it would get everything else generally equalled out. Free up more room etc.

Miller/Williams
Iggy/Kapono
Thad/-
Brand/Speights
Sammy/Smith

Hmmm, still don't like Sammy at C nor Iggy at the 2.

I'm sort of coming around to the idea that we might have to trade Thad? This Iggy at the 2 experiment really didn't work and Young is a hot prospect we could fix a lot of problems by dealing him. I would prefer to trade Iggy but his contract kinda makes it impossible to move him...
nicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Nice trade. That is just one shooter tho. Wish we could get rid of Willie Green for an actual "shooting" guard.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

SixersFan76 has an OK reputation so far

Kapono's deal is not shorter than Reggie's unfortunately. He has the same number of years and he is due a roughly an extra $2.8 million, which is why Toronto made the deal. They are trying to get as much under the cap as possible for summer of 2010 and they are the ones who get savings in the deal.

Regge is due $4.96 and $5.08 the next two years. Kapono is due a little over $6.2 and $6.64 in the next two years.

Kapono is coming off a somewhat down shooting season by his standars, but he's still an elite 3 point shooter in the NBA. However, let's not get carried away - he is not "the" shooter we need, he is "a" shooter. He is a guy who brings absolutely nothing other than his 3 point shooting. Because he is a huge liability on defense, doesn't rebound, is not a good ballhandler or passer, doesn't put the ball on the floor, and has no post game, he is a limited player. He is a guy who should not play more than 20 minutes a game.

That being said, he is a more valuable player for the Sixers than Evans. Reggie becomes redundant with a healthy Brand, emerging Speights and Jason Smith coming back. Fact of the matter, we can get a guy to provide energy and some rebounds for the league minimum - Admundson filled that role given a chance with Phoenix this past season and guys like him are widely available every single season. Shooters are a little harder to come by, even limited ones like Kapono.

He is vastly overpaid, but at least he only has a 2 year contract. Since we don't have the cap space the next two seasons to sign any free agents, and at the same time are not in the luxury tax territory and won't have to re-sign any of our youngsters until after Kapono's contract expires, adding on $2.8 million in extra salary over the next two years for another limited, bench player is not as big a deal, especially considering he provides something we need.

However, Sixers desperately need to be able to add another shooter - someone who can start and play regular minutes in all situations - be it a PG or a SG. Ideally, it would be a PG because we could stick with Iggy and Young in the starting line-up at SG and SF respectively. Presuming that Dalembert is likely to either be traded (less likely) or phased out (more likely), we'll also have a bit more shooting from the C spot as both Speights and Smith are solid mid-range shooters. I'm also hopeful that Young will continue to improve and will become a much better outside shooter in his third season in the league, which is often when you see the biggest jump in young players.

Needless to say, Green should not be starting for us next season. However, unless Dalembert becomes a back up center, there will be a serious defensive concern with our second unit - particularly if our perimeter defenders are Lou Williams, Willie Green and Jason Kapono.
SixersFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Kapono's deal is not shorter than Reggie's unfortunately. He has the same number of years and he is due a roughly an extra $2.8 million, which is why Toronto made the deal. They are trying to get as much under the cap as possible for summer of 2010 and they are the ones who get savings in the deal.

What you mean Reggie Evans terrible contract that has no value actually has...value?

But I agree with your post for the most part. Its a "nice" addition but goes under "minor" in my book. I got other concerns but any good news is welcomed.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

No, his terrible contract has no value. We got a worse contract of an equivalently limited player for him. Both Kapono and Evans are 18 to 20 minute a game, limited role players. Evans has the better contract. His value is negative - hence we had to absorb a worse contract of an equivalent player. It happens that this player has more value for us because we are deeper at one position than another, but he's not a guy we could have traded to someone and gotten a higher draft pick as a result or who could be moved for a shorter contract or a better player.

Look at our progression by the way. First, we sign a highly limited back up center in Hunter and pay him $3.7 a year. Then we trade him for a higher paid highly limited back up with an extra year on his deal who makes $4.9 million a year in Evans. We now trade Evans for an even higher paid limited back up who makes even more at $6.4 million a year on the same length of contract. I just hope they don't trade Kapono for another bum with an even longer deal or an even higher contract.

It starts innocently enough - you badly overpay for a role player you probably don't need or could have gotten for the minimum. Then as a need at different position opens up, you deal him for negative value by getting another role player with a worse contract just to fill a need. Later, you do it again. At some point, you end up with either no cap space, no flexibility, or a bunch of very limited players making starter money. That's Billy King's legacy.

Last season, Minnesota likely would have taken Carney for a second rounder, but we had to give them a first so they also take Calvin Booth and his one million. Why? Because for some bizarre reason, BK gave Booth, a minimum one year 12th man if there ever was one, an option year with a player as opposed to a team's option - that cost us a first rounder down the road when we needed to free up cap space.

Fact is, you can't look at any trade in the NBA without looking at salary and number of years. Circumstances change and nothing is more valuable than salary cap and fiscal flexibility.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I'm in full support of Ed Stefanski. Building a title contender in the NBA isnt simply by any means. Especially when you take over from a GM like Billy King. I see Ed's track record and I'm patient enough to give him a shot. He's starting to hear a buzz about getting Elton Brand and his contract. But prior to Elton Brand the cry was we needed an Elton Brand here. Its like (speaking in general) if fans arent satisfied overnight then they wake up grumpy as hell. Too impatient when sometimes it takes time.

I really wanna see how this offseason plays out and the Sixers roster for next season. Should be interesting.

Quote:
No, his terrible contract has no value

So a terrible contract to you is one where a player gets paid to a point you dont think they are worth?

If it had no value then why is Toronto saving $$$ from this deal? Curious.

And it had enough value to get the Sixers a shooter while clearing room for Marreese Speights to get minutes and develop as a player. a 2 for 1 special. It eliminates any intention for Eddie Jordan to play Evans over Speights. I love it.

Quote:
Fact is, you can't look at any trade in the NBA without looking at salary and number of years. Circumstances change and nothing is more valuable than salary cap and fiscal flexibility.

True but moves are made where you have no other choice but to sacrifice salary cap space in order to improve an area or areas. While you get rid of 1 contract that is slightly higher but isnt longer (if it were a year or two longer then I'd have an issue) that provides one of many needs? You also in adding this contract free up room to benefit your young stud and allow him to develop and progress where Reggie limited how much we could have seen from Speights.

There are so many reasons and methods to the madness when trading player for player when you factor in contracts.

There simply wasnt a move where you could add a shooter like a Kapono where you also got back in return financial flexibility. Especially when all you're offering is Reggie Evans.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
donsanchez306
High School Varsity 12th Man

donsanchez306 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Nice trade. That is just one shooter tho. Wish we could get rid of Willie Green for an actual "shooting" guard.
lets put all our "good energy" into happy thoughts like gettin rid of dalembert. willie green is next in line for the boot.
donsanchez306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

how many of us have been to a game and hear this from the guy behind you?

"Ahhhhh SAMMY!"

"Damnit Sammy what the hell was that?"

"they need ta get his ass outta there"

My favorite is the "noooooooooooo!" all in unison as Sam decides to shoot a long jumper
Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #11
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

My friend has season tickets and hates Sammy. He text me from games saying "Why does Andre Miller have just as many rebounds as Dalembert???". I dont know if I found a Dalembert fan anywhere. Is there a player Sixers could have (in the NBA) that is worse all things considered?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
My friend has season tickets and hates Sammy. He text me from games saying "Why does Andre Miller have just as many rebounds as Dalembert???". I dont know if I found a Dalembert fan anywhere. Is there a player Sixers could have (in the NBA) that is worse all things considered?
Eddy Curry. He gets paid a lil less though.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #13
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Eddy Curry. He gets paid a lil less though.

I thought about him when making my post. But i ended up calling it a wash. Then again what exactly could Eddy have done as a Sixer? Rebound? No. Block shots? No. Pass? No. interior defender/low post defense? No. Help defense? Ok I'm telling jokes now. He can score thats about it. But a couple Philly cheesesteaks he might add on 40lbs then opt out because the doctor advised him too. Thus we open up cap space.

Curry > Sammy.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #14
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

Evans was traded for an equivalent player at a different position with a worse contract. Which is consistent with my post a while back that guys like Evans and Green have negative value. That was in response to a poster who suggested we could package Evans and our first round pick to move up in the draft. Such a move is entirely unrealistic because Evans has negative value because of his contract - no one in the NBA was going to give up a higher pick for the right to absorb $10 million and 2 years of a guy who should be playing for near the minimum. That doesn't mean that we couldn't trade him for a worse contract - that's exactly what we did. Fact is, we needed a shooter off the bench and Toronto needed a rebounding PF off the bench and Toronto got to save $2.8 million in the process. Both teams filled a limited bench need, but it was the Sixers who at $2.8 million to do it.

As for Curry, he can't play with Brand - you can't have two guys who play in the low post - would be similar to Randolph and Curry. Brand is a much better defender, but both players have similar offensive games. This not to mention what a terrible rebounder and defender Curry is. All that being said, if you offered the Knicks Dalembert for Curry, they tell you NO. Curry has a smaller contract and they want as much salary cap space as possible for 2010and they wouldn't sacrifice it for the right to add Sammy. I'm guessing their hope is that Curry comes into camp in shape and plays well, and someone takes him off their hands - either for an expiring contract, a worse player with a slightly smaller contract, or in a package where the Knicks give up a young player to go along with Curry, but get to save salary cap money in the process. At least that's the impression I get from the Knicks. It seems like they are trying to free as much cap space as possible for 2010.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #15
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Just to throw it out there...does the fact that we added a bit more to our payroll affect the Andre Miller situation?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: