Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 06-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #16
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 76ers Get Their Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixersFan76
Evans was traded for an equivalent player at a different position with a worse contract. Which is consistent with my post a while back that guys like Evans and Green have negative value. That was in response to a poster who suggested we could package Evans and our first round pick to move up in the draft. Such a move is entirely unrealistic because Evans has negative value because of his contract - no one in the NBA was going to give up a higher pick for the right to absorb $10 million and 2 years of a guy who should be playing for near the minimum. That doesn't mean that we couldn't trade him for a worse contract - that's exactly what we did. Fact is, we needed a shooter off the bench and Toronto needed a rebounding PF off the bench and Toronto got to save $2.8 million in the process. Both teams filled a limited bench need, but it was the Sixers who at $2.8 million to do it.

I just dont see how Evans and Green contracts have no value and are terrible. Especially when this time next year they will become expirers.

And I suggested the 17th pick and Evans or Green in a move up.

I'm trying to understand terrible contracts and ones with no value. Like if Evans is a terrible contract with negative value then Jason Kapono is as well? Yet Toronto made a move to save $$$$. How can a deal be terrible with no value if it saved a franchise cxlose to $3mil?

Quote:
As for Curry, he can't play with Brand - you can't have two guys who play in the low post - would be similar to Randolph and Curry. Brand is a much better defender, but both players have similar offensive games. This not to mention what a terrible rebounder and defender Curry is. All that being said, if you offered the Knicks Dalembert for Curry, they tell you NO. Curry has a smaller contract and they want as much salary cap space as possible for 2010and they wouldn't sacrifice it for the right to add Sammy. I'm guessing their hope is that Curry comes into camp in shape and plays well, and someone takes him off their hands - either for an expiring contract, a worse player with a slightly smaller contract, or in a package where the Knicks give up a young player to go along with Curry, but get to save salary cap money in the process. At least that's the impression I get from the Knicks. It seems like they are trying to free as much cap space as possible for 2010.

Nah you read into the post wrong. I was asking is there a player Sixers could have (in the NBA) that is worse all things considered? Not so much can Brand fit here. Or would Knicks trade him to the Sixers.

Last edited by GOBB : 06-10-2009 at 01:55 PM.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #17
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

SixersFan76 has an OK reputation so far

That's the point though - Evans and Green don't expire until after 2010. A team trading for them would not only be giving up a higher draft pick, but eat their salary for two years and reduce their cap flexibility for a class of 2010? Not a chance. The reason Toronto traded Kapono for Evans was to free up $2.8 million. Money is tight and everyone wants to have as much cap space as possible for the free agent class of next season. Sixers had to give up a first rounder just to get rid of Booth and Carney, both expiring contracts that combined were worth under $2.5. How in the world were they going to get a higher pick AND have someone take Evans and $10 million or Green and $7 AND take either a luxury tax hit or a cap hit for them? Not only is the salary cap figure going down, but the luxury tax figure is now smaller and with this economy and the class of 2010 situation, no one wants an extra penny on their books unless it's a difference maker. Green and Evans are marginal role players who should be playing for the league minimum.

You think the Sixers would miss either one if they are gone and wouldn't be able to get comparable players on one year deals for the minimum? I doubt it. Teams find guys like that all the time. That was my point.

Now after this season and next off-season are over, and the 2010-2011 season starts, Evans and Green, along with Kapono, might have some value as they will be expiring contracts. But guys like that have negative value now because everyone is trying to get under the luxury tax, have cap flexibility to make moves, save money in tough economic times, and open up as much cap space as possible for 2010 free agent class. That was why Toronto made the move - we had to eat nearly $3 million.
SixersFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #18
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

From what I have heard, they are going to be moving Iggy to the Wing and put Kapono at the 2 guard....Being a Toronto fan, watch out for Kapono's defense because this is what he lacks...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #19
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

You heard that the Sixers plan to start Jason Kapono at SG, Iggy at SF and bench Thad Young? I'm going to go out on a limb and say your source is wrong and that Kapono will play both SG and SF, will come off the bench, and will be a role player who averages no more than 24 minutes a game unless a whole bunch of guys are injured.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #20
ppierce34
High school junior varsity star

ppierce34 has an OK reputation so far

God I hope Kapono isn't their projected starter right now. It's nice to have a shooter like that, but he's as one-dimensional as you can get.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #21
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

Unless there are serious injuries, he has no chance of being a starter. Iggy, Young and Brand are the most likely guys to man the 2, 3 and 4. Unless something changes, at least at the beginning of the season, Dalembert is the likely 5.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #22
ppierce34

I would expect that as well. Kapono starting gives me the shakes.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #23
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

If we had Howard or Shaq in his prime or Duncan, Brand was at 100% and we got a stud perimeter defender at the point, he could start and give 25 to 28 minutes without killing us, but not with a hole at PG, questions about Brand, Dalembert and Thad Young on the roster. There will be times when Sixers go small, especially if match-ups are favorable, and play Brand at 5, Young at 4, and Iggy at 3, but they aren't doing it to start the game. That rules out Kapono starting right there. Neither Iguodala nor Young will be brought off the bench to start the season if they are healthy.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #24
ppierce34

I honestly can't think of a good situation to start and give Kapono significant minutes. He's a role player, a guy that can come off the bench and hit big shots and create momentum or kill the other teams.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #25
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Offtopic I really really hope Lou Williams and Thad Young improve thier shot by working with Mark Price again this offseason. I think both especially Lou can be better perimeter threats from last season. Agree? Disagree?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #26
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Offtopic I really really hope Lou Williams and Thad Young improve thier shot by working with Mark Price again this offseason. I think both especially Lou can be better perimeter threats from last season. Agree? Disagree?
Thad's jumper improved a lot from his rookie year. And how many lefties you know who can't shoot?
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #27
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

Styles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

call me crazy but i want to see lou start this year. hopefully he is working on his jumper and passing this summer. but i think givin more time at the point he will develop into a decent starter.
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:01 AM   #28
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

Thad is supposedly a gym rat so I hope to see marked improvement in his game. Often time, the third season is when you see the big jump in the game of a young player, although Thad is so young that he likely will have 3-4 years of steady progress before he is more or less a finished product. He needs to keep working on his jumper, but perhaps just as importantly, he needs to learn how to run off screens and how to create spacing for himself and spot up. Being able to create some more open looks or a little more space for himself can in and of itself allow him to become a more efficient jump shooter.

Williams needs work. He has the talent and the potential, but he's wildly inconsistent and I noticed that he actually shoots pretty well when he manages to get himself free for a spot up jumper, but he tends to take a lot of bad shots and also to drift when shooting without being completely set, which causes a lot of mis-fires. If he can get himself more squared up, he'll be a much better shooter.

Finally, my big hope is that Iggy finally works on his jumper. Because of his muscular build and taking his age into account, it's probably safe to say he'll never become a great shooter. But if he can just be a bit more consistent and develop some mid-range game, his numbers should improve. He might never be a guy who can take a lot of 3's and hit 38 to 42%, but he can be a guy who can take less 3's than he does now and hit them at 35% to 37% clip and improve his jumper by learning how to get spacing and pull up from 18 feet or so.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #29
ppierce34

Lou needs to slow down at times. He's gotta find that middle gear, going a 100mph all the time leads to those rushed shots and off balance shots.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #30
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

He needs to work on a lot of things. Right now, he is basically a totally one dimensional player whose sole value is his amazing speed and ability to get in the lane and finish or draw some fouls. He doesn't shoot consistently, he doesn't have a good set 3 point shot, he doesn't run off the ball well, lacks a mid-range pull up game, can't play a lick of defense, and isn't a true PG. If he can work out a few of those issues, he could take a huge leap forward this year. He is still young and he's immensely talented so there is hope for him yet. Does he want to be like Mo Williams or like Eddie House is the question he should be asking himself.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: