Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #46
west_tip
Truth > PC

Default Re: The World Cup is exactly one year away ... who's the favourite?

I think Argentina will win it all, it should be Messi's year.

US to me are dark horses and I could see them get to the semi's, what will work in their favour is that they will have experience playing in SA courtesy of the Confederations Cup this summer and this is not a home tournament for the UEFA or CONMEBOL teams so that should be a leveller. I expect good things from the US next summer. Also I like the make up of the US team, world class goalkeeping, Donovan will have to play to his potential.

Last edited by west_tip : 06-11-2009 at 03:45 PM.
west_tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #47
GUUS
Banned

Beasley, Dempsey, Altidore, Donovan, Adu, that's actually a decent attack, Michael Bradley and Maestroni in midfield, decent as well, keeper that's our strength, the one area we are world class, but our defense??

Seriously lacking. Alot.
GUUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #48
bada bing
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianballer
canada fa sho

...but noe one really gives a sh!t about soccer

no one gives a **** about canada you damn penguin dildo inserter. stick to your bull**** in your irrelevant country.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #49
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I am incredibly uneducated when it comes to soccer being an America, but I get excited for the World Cup. Me and my buddies, who all hate soccer for the most part, always get really into it. We even get pick-up soccer games going lol.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #50
west_tip
Truth > PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUUS
Beasley, Dempsey, Altidore, Donovan, Adu, that's actually a decent attack, Michael Bradley and Maestroni in midfield, decent as well, keeper that's our strength, the one area we are world class, but our defense??

Seriously lacking. Alot.

You know who I don't rate at all is Bradley (midfielder). What do you think? your defense is onyewu and hedjuk and who? what about the fella that was at reading convey he's back in the mls now right? Coul not believe that he couldnt get a game in the Championship and what hapenned to the Yank keeper reading had?

does altidore get a game in spain? i think that the us might struggle for goals but if they could get a goal poacher a la inzaghi or trezeguet us could be contenders. US have never really had a natural goalscorer.
west_tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #51
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:

Seriously lacking. Alot.

Altidore wasn't good enough to warm the bench in Villareal, and Adu has sucked donkey balls wherever he's played in Europe. How is Mastroeni + Bradley midfield decent? How is Tim Howard world class?
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #52
GUUS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky
Altidore wasn't good enough to warm the bench in Villareal, and Adu has sucked donkey balls wherever he's played in Europe. How is Mastroeni + Bradley midfield decent? How is Tim Howard world class?
look jack ass. Compare that attack to nations like South Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia, and it is better.

Yes the US is not even better than the weakest European team that will make the world cup finals, infact US isn't even better than Poland, but compared to nations outside of Africa, South America and Europe, US is the best.

Michael Bradley has great determination and the mentality of a leader, but average technical skills. However he is known to come up big in big games.

Donovan is known to get scared in big games and disappear.

Dempsey is a great player though.

Howard ok he is not world class, calm down, but he is the strongest player the US has lol, and for Everton he is immense, they are a big club.

Altidore, while bad in Spain, is still young, and also huge, high work rate, useful with his head and great internationally.

Adu is also not great, but comparable to guys like Park or Nakamura.

Relatively, apart from the top football nations of course, US is decent.

Our defense is garbage. Onyewu is trash. I can't even remember our fullbacks, I hope Cherundolo and Bocanegra aren't still back there.

US team is really quite shit now that I think about it Lebowsky, you are right-however we did achieve a great result tying 1-1 against Italy the tournament that they won the whole thing. Probably the best result US will ever get in our history lol.

Adu is still young, he's not terrible.

All in all Howard and Maestroni are our best players probably.

And Michael Bradley and Maestroni is a decent midfield because both have high work rate and tackle hard, and high determination, what they lack in skill they make up for with effort, size and stamina, it doesn't work against the good teams, but it works well against the teams that are our level, like Mexico and South Korea
Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #53
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
look jack ass. Compare that attack to nations like South Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia, and it is better.

Yes the US is not even better than the weakest European team that will make the world cup finals, infact US isn't even better than Poland, but compared to nations outside of Africa, South America and Europe, US is the best.

Michael Bradley has great determination and the mentality of a leader, but average technical skills. However he is known to come up big in big games.

Donovan is known to get scared in big games and disappear.

Dempsey is a great player though.

Howard ok he is not world class, calm down, but he is the strongest player the US has lol, and for Everton he is immense, they are a big club.

Altidore, while bad in Spain, is still young, and also huge, high work rate, useful with his head and great internationally.

Adu is also not great, but comparable to guys like Park or Nakamura.

Relatively, apart from the top football nations of course, US is decent.

Our defense is garbage. Onyewu is trash. I can't even remember our fullbacks, I hope Cherundolo and Bocanegra aren't still back there.

US team is really quite shit now that I think about it Lebowsky, you are right-however we did achieve a great result tying 1-1 against Italy the tournament that they won the whole thing. Probably the best result US will ever get in our history lol.

Adu is still young, he's not terrible.

All in all Howard and Maestroni are our best players probably.

I don't think they're all terrible, I even used to like Beasley and I think Dempsey is a good player. However, it's often your midfield what dictates how good you are as a team, and if your midfield is Mastroeni and Bradley I'm afraid you're not going far.
Adu may be a victim of out-of-control hype. I remember when he was something like 13 or so and he signed a big deal with Nike. People were saying he was the second coming of Pele and stuff. Now look at him: absolute non-factor in Benfica 2 years ago. 0 games as a starter and 9 as a starter, 0 goals in Monaco last season. You're right, he's young and he still has time to become someone, but you can't live off hype forever.
Altidore's case is different. I kind of his game and I believe he could become a very good player. I really don't know why he didn't get any significant playing time last season. Not only so, but he might even be leaving on loan to a 2nd division team next year, if rumours are true. Villareal is a small town, the kind of place where a young player has no shining lights to distract him from his career. I hope he manages.

EDIT: Howard is terrible as a goalkeeper.

Last edited by Lebowsky : 06-11-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #54
GUUS
Banned

Quote:
I don't think they're all terrible, I even used to like Beasley and I think Dempsey is a good player. However, it's often your midfield what dictates how good you are as a team, and if your midfield is Mastroeni and Bradley I'm afraid you're not going far.
Adu may be a victim of out-of-control hype. I remember when he was something like 13 or so and he signed a big deal with Nike. People were saying he was the second coming of Pele and stuff. Now look at him: absolute non-factor in Benfica 2 years ago. 0 games as a starter and 9 as a starter, 0 goals in Monaco last season. You're right, he's young and he still has time to become someone, but you can't live off hype forever.
Altidore's case is different. I kind of his game and I believe he could become a very good player. I really don't know why he didn't get any significant playing time last season. Not only so, but he might even be leaving on loan to a 2nd division team next year, if rumours are true. Villareal is a small town, the kind of place where a young player has no shining lights to distract him from his career. I hope he manages.

EDIT: Howard is terrible as a goalkeeper.
Yes Howard was terrible at United, and the first year at Everton, but the past two seasons he has improved alot into one of the top keepers in the EPL.

I don't know much about Villareal, they have Rossi I know that and I'm not sure who else at striker, so I have no idea why Altidore couldnt get game time. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they want a more technically gifted player at the head of the attack in Spain, rather than the battering ram type without the best technical Altidore is? Or maybe he's just having trouble adapting. Who knows.

Altidore is the closest thing we have to a natural goal scorer btw. Guisseppe Rossi might have been, he was born and raised in New Jersey so he could have played for the USA team, however he decided to ditch the country of his birth for Italy.

As it is, I dont see US getting out of the group stage unless we get an extremely easy one. Michael Bradley is also not so old and has shown alot of improvement already, hopefully he will develop much more.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #55
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
Yes Howard was terrible at United, and the first year at Everton, but the past two seasons he has improved alot into one of the top keepers in the EPL.

I don't know much about Villareal, they have Rossi I know that and I'm not sure who else at striker, so I have no idea why Altidore couldnt get game time. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they want a more technically gifted player at the head of the attack in Spain, rather than the battering ram type without the best technical Altidore is? Or maybe he's just having trouble adapting. Who knows.

Altidore is the closest thing we have to a natural goal scorer btw. Guisseppe Rossi might have been, he was born and raised in New Jersey so he could have played for the USA team, however he decided to ditch the country of his birth for Italy.

As it is, I dont see US getting out of the group stage unless we get an extremely easy one. Michael Bradley is also not so old and has shown alot of improvement already, hopefully he will develop much more.

You should definitely check Villareal out, they play some of the most beautiful football in the continent when their important guys are healthy.
Along with Rossi they have Nihat, who is a great player but had lots of injuries last season, and Joseba Llorente, old school striker and a very good player himself.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #56
GUUS
Banned

Quote:
You should definitely check Villareal out, they play some of the most beautiful football in the continent when their important guys are healthy.
Along with Rossi they have Nihat, who is a great player but had lots of injuries last season, and Joseba Llorente, old school striker and a very good player himself.
Yeh I've seen Villareal a few times this year, they were one of my favorite teams to watch when they had Riquelme.

And that explains why Altidore isn't getting games, they just play one up top right, atleast they did with Riquelme, and they have Nihat and Rossi ahead of him, as well as that Joseba Llorente guy.

They did pay 7 million for Altidore though, and they aren't really a club known for splashing the cash, so hopefully they haven't given up on him yet.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #57
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jordan
I'm also looking out for those teams. TnT took down mexico this week didn't they?

Nah, T&T lost 2-1 to Mexico and they are on the bottom of the group, don't think they'll make it.

I hope Honduras made it. Costly-Palacios-Pavon-Nunez-Guevara are players I enjoy watching.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:46 AM   #58
big baller
(-_-)(X_X)BB(9_9)(^_^)

my favorites are:

France
Turkey
Ghana
Bosnia
Brazil

Spain is probably going to win though...
big baller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: