Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2009, 03:03 AM   #16
YAWN
NBA All-star
 
YAWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,345
Default Re: Did you know that 98% of LCD HDTVs are only Standard Def for Moving Images?

my lcd looks better than my roommates plasma, so i dont give a shit
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:03 AM   #17
giantgonzolez
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 398
Default Re: Did you know that 98% of LCD HDTVs are only Standard Def for Moving Images?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
I've got two LCD's and a plasma, and I prefer my LCD's.

Refresh rates, as you seem to be saying have nothing to do with whether it is true HD or not.

You didn't read my post correctly. Motion Resolution has EVERYTHING to do with it being true HD. Most 60hz LCDs have about 300 lines of motion resolution. Most 120hz LCDs have 500 to 620 lines of motion resolution.
Only the Samsung 950 series LCD which costs like $5k for a 46" and 7K for a 55" had HD motion resolution because it had Local Dimming LED Backlighting.
The Sony XBR8 is probably also a true HD LCD, but that's even more expensive than the 950 series Samsung LCD.
The THIN Samsung LED LCDs are NOT LOCAL DIMMING LEDs, they're only LED EDGE LIT.

A CRT from the 1950s had 480 lines of motion resolution.
An average 2008 Plasma has about 850 lines of motion resolution.
An average 2009 Plasma has a FULL 1080 lines of motion resolution.
giantgonzolez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:07 AM   #18
hayden695
NBA lottery pick
 
hayden695's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: swimmin in Catz bongwater
Posts: 4,335
Default Re: Did you know that 98% of LCD HDTVs are only Standard Def for Moving Images?

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantgonzolez
You didn't read my post correctly. Motion Resolution has EVERYTHING to do with it being true HD. Most 60hz LCDs have about 300 lines of motion resolution. Most 120hz LCDs have 500 to 620 lines of motion resolution.
Only the Samsung 950 series LCD which costs like $5k for a 46" and 7K for a 55" had HD motion resolution because it had Local Dimming LED Backlighting.
The Sony XBR8 is probably also a true HD LCD, but that's even more expensive than the 950 series Samsung LCD.
The THIN Samsung LED LCDs are NOT LOCAL DIMMING LEDs, they're only LED EDGE LIT.

A CRT from the 1950s had 480 lines of motion resolution.
An average 2008 Plasma has about 850 lines of motion resolution.
An average 2009 Plasma has a FULL 1080 lines of motion resolution.
is that where the 1080i or 1080p comes in? i know mine has that just wondering
hayden695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:09 AM   #19
giantgonzolez
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 398
Default Re: Did you know that 98% of LCD HDTVs are only Standard Def for Moving Images?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
LOL, this is like your Shaq hate, but for LCD's I don't get it. Or are you just one of those people who looks for faults with the opposition, which in this case is the LCD, seeing as you have a plasma.

How can you notice, the difference in a micro or millisecond? That's lag?

Input lag on LCDs and their slow response time is VERY OBVIOUS.
It's easy to tell in First Person Shooters and in sporting events.
Sometimes it's so bad that the audio can be slightly out of sync with the video because the video can't keep up with the audio on LCDs if the action and the audio is fast paced.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqG1_FjpPqc
giantgonzolez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:10 AM   #20
giantgonzolez
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 398
Default Re: Did you know that 98% of LCD HDTVs are only Standard Def for Moving Images?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAWN
my lcd looks better than my roommates plasma, so i dont give a shit

Yeah, and people with Kias think it looks better than a Bentley so I guess that's your point.
giantgonzolez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:11 AM   #21
YAWN
NBA All-star
 
YAWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,345
Default Re: Did you know that 98% of LCD HDTVs are only Standard Def for Moving Images?

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantgonzolez
Yeah, and people with Kias think it looks better than a Bentley so I guess that's your point.

that analogy does not fit here, but nice try.
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:12 AM   #22
giantgonzolez
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 398
Default Re: Did you know that 98% of LCD HDTVs are only Standard Def for Moving Images?

I wouldn't even care if people said they prefered LCDs for the right reasons. They're irresponsible and like to leave a videogame on pause for 24 hours, They like to watch tv outside or their room is sunny enough that it may as well be outside, and that they can't afford a big tv, etc. Those would be legit reasons to prefer LCDs. My problem is people refuse to look at the facts. Plasmas especially good ones like Runcos, Pioneer Elites, etc run circles around the best LCDs and make average lcds look like dog poop in terms of picture quality. That's basically a FACT. Look at any reputable magazine or website that compares any LCD to Pioneer Elites and the Pioneer Elite will wipe the floor with said LCD in the comparison tests and the reviewer's opinion.

Last edited by giantgonzolez : 06-11-2009 at 03:17 AM.
giantgonzolez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:12 AM   #23
plowking
well DENG
 
plowking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: now taking over your radio
Posts: 23,392
Default Re: Did you know that 98% of LCD HDTVs are only Standard Def for Moving Images?

Wait lol. You're simply talking about pixels?

All you need is a (x720) to view full HD. For this all you need is a LCD over 32 inches and an full HD (1920 x 1080) signal.

The only reason your statistics are so one sided is because the smallest plasmas they make are around 40 inches. So due to plasmas being harder to make smaller, they are favored in this misleading statistic.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:14 AM   #24
plowking
well DENG
 
plowking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: now taking over your radio
Posts: 23,392
Default Re: Did you know that 98% of LCD HDTVs are only Standard Def for Moving Images?

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantgonzolez
Input lag on LCDs and their slow response time is VERY OBVIOUS.
It's easy to tell in First Person Shooters and in sporting events.
Sometimes it's so bad that the audio can be slightly out of sync with the video because the video can't keep up with the audio on LCDs if the action and the audio is fast paced.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqG1_FjpPqc

That's only if not inputted directly to the TV.

You could do that with any TV.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:23 AM   #25
giantgonzolez
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 398
Default Re: Did you know that 98% of LCD HDTVs are only Standard Def for Moving Images?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Wait lol. You're simply talking about pixels?

All you need is a (x720) to view full HD. For this all you need is a LCD over 32 inches and an full HD (1920 x 1080) signal.

The only reason your statistics are so one sided is because the smallest plasmas they make are around 40 inches. So due to plasmas being harder to make smaller, they are favored in this misleading statistic.

THIS IS THE TEST. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMIPi9bx1GE

Do you see how badly the Plasma is kicking the crap out of the LCD?
Can you see any detail in the Samsung LCD on the left compared to the Panasonic Plasma on the right?
Basically, on LCDs, the resolution wedges get ALL BLURRY when the pattern is moving. If the Pattern is a still image, the LCDS are HIgh DEF, but when the pattern is moving, they're standard def.

You're talking about STATIC resolution. Motion resolution is when a resolution test pattern is measured with the on screen pattern moving at a speed of 1 screen per 5 seconds. It's basically a MOTION BLUR TEST.
60hz LCDs get an F- in this test and the best 120hz LCDs usually get about a D-. 2008 model Plasmas usually got anywhere from a B to an A- on this test. Most 2009 model Plasmas get an A+ on this test.

Last edited by giantgonzolez : 06-11-2009 at 03:32 AM.
giantgonzolez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:23 AM   #26
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,085
Default Re: Did you know that 98% of LCD HDTVs are only Standard Def for Moving Images?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden695
honestly ive never found that, even when playiong guitar hero, maybe mines setup better like the input cables or w/e
...and you would think that with a game like guitar hero -- which is supposed to be 1080p, unless I'm mistaken and the screen moves very quickly -- you would notice the lag. Unless, of course, you are a lightweight playing on easy or medium... Then, maybe not.

I chose a Panasonic Plasma recently because the clarity was undeniably superior when I compared it to every LCD that I could find. But, it didn't have anything to do with 'lag.' I didn't notice anything, there. Plus, plasmas are inexplicably cheaper, probably due to the bad press that they have gotten with burn-ins and shelf life, which are no longer issues for the better plasmas.

How about rear projection sets? How do they compare in picture quality to LCDs and Plasmas? I've heard that, if you have the room, rear projections offer the best bang for your buck as far as specs are concerned... ?
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:36 AM   #27
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star
 
InspiredLebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Birthplace of basketball
Posts: 26,279
Default Re: Did you know that 98% of LCD HDTVs are only Standard Def for Moving Images?

My buddy has 2 LCDs and 1 plasma, all of them were comparably priced. The LCDs look much better. My brother's plasma's (that's still under warranty) bulb just burnt out yesteday. My 27" CRT is till awesome as ever.

Last edited by InspiredLebowski : 06-11-2009 at 04:39 AM.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:48 AM   #28
emsteez forreal
iWANNAgoHIGHER.
 
emsteez forreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: chicago, illinois.
Posts: 4,799
Default Re: Did you know that 98% of LCD HDTVs are only Standard Def for Moving Images?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
I hate it when I want something in a microsecond, but it takes a millisecond to get there.

****en lol'd
emsteez forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #29
hayden695
NBA lottery pick
 
hayden695's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: swimmin in Catz bongwater
Posts: 4,335
Default Re: Did you know that 98% of LCD HDTVs are only Standard Def for Moving Images?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
...and you would think that with a game like guitar hero -- which is supposed to be 1080p, unless I'm mistaken and the screen moves very quickly -- you would notice the lag. Unless, of course, you are a lightweight playing on easy or medium... Then, maybe not.

I chose a Panasonic Plasma recently because the clarity was undeniably superior when I compared it to every LCD that I could find. But, it didn't have anything to do with 'lag.' I didn't notice anything, there. Plus, plasmas are inexplicably cheaper, probably due to the bad press that they have gotten with burn-ins and shelf life, which are no longer issues for the better plasmas.

How about rear projection sets? How do they compare in picture quality to LCDs and Plasmas? I've heard that, if you have the room, rear projections offer the best bang for your buck as far as specs are concerned... ?
Nope, expert
hayden695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #30
BryantGasol89
6-time NBA MVP
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 542
Default Re: Did you know that 98% of LCD HDTVs are only Standard Def for Moving Images?

Thanks for that.
BryantGasol89 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:16 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy