Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Orlando Magic Forum

Orlando Magic Forum Orlando Magic forum - Orlando Magic message board

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 01:22 AM   #1456
chopchop20
National High School Star

chopchop20 has decent reputation
Default Re: June 11: Lakers @ Magic, Game 4 (NBA Finals)

Nick Anderson firing the crowd up before the game? WTF -- no wonder Orlando choked!
Old 06-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #1457
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
I'd LOVE to see the refs let someone play D on Kobe the way they let Ariza play Turk. It'd be hysterical.

refs have historical let players play rought with Kobe...Raja Bell was allowed to handcheck Kobe and push him all over the court.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #1458
justin43
Good High School Starter

justin43 has decent reputation

Quote:
Ariza should have been fouled out in the first half of EVERY game so far with the way he's been allowed to play Turkoglu, and Gasol should have had foul trouble too with the way he's leaning and pushing with both arms on Howard's back and chest all the time. So don't talk about the refs, please.

I'd LOVE to see the refs let someone play D on Kobe the way they let Ariza play Turk. It'd be hysterical.

You can say the same for Dwight's numerous elbows on Gasol, so you don't bring up the refs either.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #1459
Mor'Fiyah
High School Starter

Mor'Fiyah has decent reputationMor'Fiyah has decent reputation

As big as derek Fisher's plays were ... Kobe also had a monster play in the fourth quarter than no one is talking about. Earlier in the fourth Howard got a ball under the basket and Gasol gave him a weak touch foul and he got the and 1. You could see Kobe telling Gasol to foul him hard if he is going to foul. Then late in the fourth same thing happens and Kobe gives Howard absolutely no chance to put that ball in the basket! This game was more than just FG% as Derek Fisher's three point FG% can attest to!

Oh... and Howard missed the free throws too!
Old 06-12-2009, 01:24 AM   #1460
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mor'Fiyah
It isn't always about stats. I think he actually shot decently in the fourth and overtime. I think what most people are seeing was how difficult it was for the Lakers to get a good shot off when Dwight Howard hunkered down and defended the crap out of the paint. I mean we couldn't get anything inside. They went to Gasol a couple times and he couldn't convert because Howard pushed him out and it was getting physical in there. But Phil said it himself... the turning point in this game came when Kobe ripped the ball out of Howards hand on that rebound. Kobe just got it done... it wasn't pretty... it wasn't efficient... but it was grimey and raw and pit-bullish. There is more than one way to win a game!

And he got it to the right guy when it counted! Go Fisher!

I feel ya man but I'm just frustrated by his offense. I know he was hacked a bunch of times (and got away with the elbow for the haters) but a lot of those shots were forced, often early in the clock. It wasn't smart decision making, it was too old-kobe decision making for my taste. Almost every time he gave the ball up at the end it resulted in a big play for us. Trust the team...they have not let him down yet.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:24 AM   #1461
amfirst
Great college starter

amfirst has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
This game was a travesty. Howard sucks, and I knew he would blow both of them at the line at the end of regulation. I also knew LA would tie it and win in OT. It was just fated to be that way. Ridiculous.

Kobe had a very poor shooting night, but more than that, I felt he made several VERY bad decisions. Like, taking long, contested shots with 18+ seconds left on the shotclock and no rebounders underneath. One play in particular, in semi-transition when LA was making a run, was just perplexing for that reason. Felt he was trying to prove too much in the 4th and got carried away.

Magic choked this game away, even though Fisher and Ariza were HUGE in the second half (Ariza had like 13 points in the first 7 minutes of the 3rd to cut the lead, and of course Fish's shots at the end of regulation and OT.

Kobe's elbow to Nelson's face wasn't intentional, but I have no idea how that isn't called. You can't just elbow somebody in the face and get away with it. Oh, wait, that's right -- you can if your name is Kobe (see: Mike Bibby). That's the only reason Fish was uncontested for that 3. Nelson would have been running at him, but at least it would've been challenged. Terrible.

Kobe was trying to pass the ball to Fisher, knowing Nelson was going to double him, too bad Nelson had to run into his elbow, it wasn't called because it wasn't intentional and it was somewhat Nelson's fault for sticking his face there.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:25 AM   #1462
Indian guy
Very good NBA starter

Indian guy has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mor'Fiyah
I think he actually shot decently in the fourth and overtime.

He shot 4-13(31%) in the 4th + OT. Not "decent".

Let's face it, Fisher and Orlando's incredible choke job saved Kobe's legacy tonight.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:25 AM   #1463
chopchop20
National High School Star

chopchop20 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
Warning anti-kobe rant/essay:
Is it me or is Kobe
a) an idiot?
b) just not gonna deliver in the finals when it counts?

He's had his one good offensive game in the finals (game 1) so far; he had one good offensive game in each of the previous two finals, and based on that it scares me that he won't have anymore the way he's playing. Let me clarify...yes he's putting up the numbers, but he's doing it horribly inefficiently and mostly because he's playing incredibly forced offense, especially in the 4th.

Ariza and Fisher saved the Laker's butt today (in game 3 Odom and Gasol almost did). When it mattered most Kobe was nowhere to be seen except chucking up bad shots. To his credit he gave the ball up near the end which lead to big shots (two fisher plays and the Gasol dunk). But the fact remains...the guy nearly gave the game away again thanks to his incessant chucking. Is it too much to ask a guy not to shoot four straight possessions in a row and move the ball a bit to keep his team mates in the game and also to make his own life easier?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a hater. I want Kobe to do well. I love watching his game when he plays smart, team ball. But in the finals we're not getting that guy. If his shot's on you get game 1. But if its off, you get most of his games this year (same as '04 & '08). And don't anyone tell me about the assists. AI averaged about a ton too, so did LeBron. And both those guys dominate(d) the ball too much on their teams.

So I have just one wish besides LA winning it all. In the remaining games can we please run our God damned offense.

What game are you watching? Only MJ has had 4 straight games of 25 points and 8 dimes. He's taking shots and distributing the ball.

It looks bad when shots don't go in, but they are makeable by Kobe standards. Kobe is doing work IMO.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:25 AM   #1464
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop20
Nick Anderson firing the crowd up before the game? WTF -- no wonder Orlando choked!

I saw that, and the exact same thing crossed my mind. Orlando's due to choke.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:25 AM   #1465
Bodhi
Local High School Star

Bodhi has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfirst
Kobe was trying to pass the ball to Fisher, knowing Nelson was going to double him, too bad Nelson had to run into his elbow, it wasn't called because it wasn't intentional and it was somewhat Nelson's fault for sticking his face there.

I agree. If anything it was a foul on Nelson for hitting Kobe's elbow with his face.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:26 AM   #1466
don juan de marco
Local High School Star

don juan de marco has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Thornton
Yeah your right NBA is rigged. They obviously won't follow their own rules for Kobe but its okay to for Dwight.

why are you still crying? did u see the free throw difference?
i repeat
Lakers 20 foul shots
Magic 37 foul shots

And the lakers still won

you should be worried about the Clippers making the playoffs next year
Old 06-12-2009, 01:26 AM   #1467
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

2009 NBA Finals game 4 post-game discussion is here:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=135249
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Closed Thread