Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
Bush4Ever
Local High School Star

Default How Should We Judge ABA Players or ABA Years for NBA Players?

I posted this in another thread. The ABA player in question is Dr.J:

People who claim the ABA is a joke are misguided.

The statistics are going to be inflated in the ABA, due to the pace of the game. But the teams and players were on par with the NBA players at the time, so accomplishments and ranks are still valid.

In a series of exhibition games (155 games total), the ABA went 79-76 against the NBA in interleague games.

In the year following the merger, roughly half of the All-star players had ABA roots. The competition was absolutely legitimate.

So, I think it makes sense to adjust his raw statistics from the ABA, but hold his ranks (like leading the league in scoring 3 times), and his hardware (3 MVPs and two playoff MVPs) as they are.

My question is: How should we judge ABA players or the ABA years for NBA players? Should they be considered directly? Not at all? Somewhere in between? Should only some parts be considered? Etc....

Thoughts?

My opinion:

1. Adjust statistics to reflect the differences in pace between the leagues.

2. Keep all ranks (leading the league in something) as legit, because his peers are playing under the same fastened pace as the player in question.

3. Keep all hardware, such as MVPs, because those are context irrelevant, at least their is no contextual difference between an ABA MVP and a NBA MVP. They both mean the exact same thing.
Bush4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Default Re: How Should We Judge ABA Players or ABA Years for NBA Players?

I'm a firm believer that the stats/records should be counted towards all time NBA history.

Some of the greatest players played in the ABA and it's unfair to automatically discount that. Especially since the leagues merged, they're both American, players crossed over between leagues. It's not like it was a minor league.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Bush4Ever
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
I'm a firm believer that the stats/records should be counted towards all time NBA history.

Some of the greatest players played in the ABA and it's unfair to automatically discount that. Especially since the leagues merged, they're both American, players crossed over between leagues. It's not like it was a minor league.

Do you think the statistics should be considered in the same manner as the NBA statistics during the time?

I say they have to be adjusted downward somewhat for the insane pace of the game, combined with the three-point shot, which the NBA did not use until the 1979-80 season I think.

EDIT: Although now that I look at the pace statistics on basketball reference, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the leagues for pace, at least during the years when the stat was kept.
Bush4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
CarpeDiemKJ
I hit open layups

I think it's a damn shame that Artis Gilmore isn't in the HOF.
CarpeDiemKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

ABA also used a 30 second shot clock for much of their run. So there's another wrench to throw in there.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

People continue to perpetuate the myth that the pace was much faster in the ABA than in the NBA. There were several years where the league average pace was around the same, if not faster for NBA teams.

Last edited by Showtime : 06-11-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
Tainted Sword
World Champion WOOOO~!

You count DR. J's aba career and he's a top 10 player with an argument for top 5.

ABA-

2 Championships, 3 MVPs, 3 scoring titles. That's all in 5 years.

Combine that with his NBA career and you're looking at a player with 3 titles (2 finals MVP's), 30,000 points, 4 MVP's, and 16 allstar appearences.

That's amazing.
Tainted Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: