Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Orlando Magic Forum

Orlando Magic Forum Orlando Magic forum - Orlando Magic message board

Old 06-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #346
tontoz
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Post-game discussion of Lakers-Magic NBA Finals Game 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mor'Fiyah
What is the last point of contact for a player who steps with one foot inbounds and then lifts his other leg in the air?

Is there any part of him in contact with something? Yes. His one leg is in contact with the inbounds floor. So then... whats the last point of contact... you know what... never mind... LOL

You are obviously confused.

The rule he quoted said only one point of contact had to be out of bounds to be considered out of bounds.

Please show any rule that says only 1 point of contact is needed to be consiered inbounds.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #347
vert48
Can You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontoz
Not true. If the other foot was out of bounds before he went into the air the player is out of bounds. The rule stated clearly that the last point of contact was used in determining whether a player is out of bounds.

You are just making stuff up. Please show anywhere the rule states that only 1 foot has to be in bounds for a player to be in bounds. what it said is that only one foot had to be out of bounds to be considerted out of bounds.
You are officially the most retarded poster on the site today. They are in bounds because that is where they are currently touching the floor. Your scenario only matters if they jump with both feet. In that case, which ever foot or body part was touching last is the point of reference, and as soon as any body part touches the floor again, that is the new point of reference.
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #348
Mor'Fiyah
High School Starter

Quote:
LOL link please. Looks like you just made that up. And i certainly don't see the significance of "voluntarily" in this.

Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules

This is a list of basketball rules that are often misunderstood by coaches, players, and parents. I developed this list over the past twenty-five years, officiating thousands of basketball games, listening to erroneous comments from players, coaches, and mostly from fans, and thinking to myself, "I wish I could stop the game and explain the real rule to them". This list is not meant to train officials, but rather, it is meant to educate players, coaches, and fans.

12. If a player's momentum carries him or her off the court, he or she can be the first player to touch the ball after returning inbounds. That player must not have left the court voluntarily and must immediately return inbounds. That player must have something in and nothing out. It is not necessary to have both feet back inbounds.
Mor'Fiyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #349
tontoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert48
You are officially the most retarded poster on the site today. They are in bounds because that is where they are currently touching the floor. Your scenario only matters if they jump with both feet. In that case, which ever foot or body part was touching last is the point of reference, and as soon as any body part touches the floor again, that is the new point of reference.

So if Ariza jumped from out of bounds, touched in bounds with his hand, and tipped the ball to his teamate while his feet were in the air he would be considered in bounds, right?
Old 06-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #350
Mor'Fiyah
High School Starter

Quote:

The rule he quoted said only one point of contact had to be out of bounds to be considered out of bounds.

Please show any rule that says only 1 point of contact is needed to be consiered inbounds.

Going out of bounds and inbounds is the same exact thing in reverse silly
Old 06-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #351
vert48
Can You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derman
ariza didnt return inbounds before jumping for the rebound; he jumped for the rebound with one foot touching from out of bounds;
If he touched the ball while touching the floor out of bounds, then the ball is out of bounds.
If he jumped with one foot out of bounds, and one foot in bounds, and was in the air when he touched the ball, then which ever foot left the floor last is the point of reference.
If he jumped with one foot in, and one foot out, and one of his feet landed in bounds before he touches the ball, then the point of reference is the inbounds foot, and he is in bounds.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #352
Mor'Fiyah
High School Starter

Quote:

http://www.gcboa.org/rules.htm

MOMENTUM
If a player's momentum carries him or her off the court, he or she can be the first player to touch the ball after returning inbounds. That player must not have left the court voluntarily and must immediately return inbounds. That player must have something in and nothing out. It is not necessary to have both feet back inbounds.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #353
vert48
Can You?

Quote:
So if Ariza jumped from out of bounds, touched in bounds with his hand, and tipped the ball to his teamate while his feet were in the air he would be considered in bounds, right?
If he somehow managed to touch the floor in bounds with his hand while still in the air from jumping from out of bounds, then yes, he is in bounds.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #354
Jenna J
I hit open 5-footers

Im glad I missed watching this game live cause it would have really sucked to watch the magic blow it like that.
Jenna J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #355
tontoz

Quote:

Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules

This is a list of basketball rules that are often misunderstood by coaches, players, and parents. I developed this list over the past twenty-five years, officiating thousands of basketball games, listening to erroneous comments from players, coaches, and mostly from fans, and thinking to myself, "I wish I could stop the game and explain the real rule to them". This list is not meant to train officials, but rather, it is meant to educate players, coaches, and fans.

12. If a player's momentum carries him or her off the court, he or she can be the first player to touch the ball after returning inbounds. That player must not have left the court voluntarily and must immediately return inbounds. That player must have something in and nothing out. It is not necessary to have both feet back inbounds.

So in other words in determining whether on not the player is out of bounds the refs would have to figure out

1) whether or not he left voluntarily
2) must come back in immediately (how many seconds in an immediately?)

So i say again if Ariza had jumped back in bounds, touched the floor with his hand, and tapped the ball to a teamate while his feet were in the air he would be considered in bounds, right?
Old 06-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #356
don juan de marco
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derman
actually you =

howard was the only one getting really hacked out there; the magic got the calls just like the fakers got the calls in game 2; did you watch game 2 ? did you watch when kobe got 3 bs calls in a row in the last 5 of regular time of that game? magic getting the benefit of the doubt on a few plays is payback for game 2.

show me a gif when lakers were getting hacked in the last 5 min of regular time of this game, but didnt get the call.

huh how am i mad when the Lakers are up 3-1?

Look at game 2
Magic had 27 ft attempts
Lakers had 28 ft attempts
Pretty even called game to say the least
You Failed!!

You=
Yes i seen what you seen but in a nonbais fashion. did u also see Howard Goal tend no call in the first quarter?
don juan de marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #357
tontoz

Quote:
http://www.gcboa.org/rules.htm

MOMENTUM
If a player's momentum carries him or her off the court, he or she can be the first player to touch the ball after returning inbounds. That player must not have left the court voluntarily and must immediately return inbounds. That player must have something in and nothing out. It is not necessary to have both feet back inbounds.

You are quoting rules from a Gulf Coast Florida league?
Old 06-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #358
vert48
Can You?

Quote:
So in other words in determining whether on not the player is out of bounds the refs would have to figure out

So i say again if Ariza had jumped back in bounds, touched the floor with his hand, and tapped the ball to a teamate while his feet were in the air he would be considered in bounds, right?
Yes, as long as you are not currently touching anywhere out of bounds, and you are either touching somewhere in bounds, or the last place you touched was in bounds, you are considered in bounds.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #359
Jenna J
I hit open 5-footers

up 3 points with 2 shots at the line....Howard misses both and they give Fisher a open 3 instead of fouling....the Magic simply blew it.
Jenna J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #360
Mor'Fiyah
High School Starter

Quote:

In most cases of basketball play, unless a player is checking out of the game then he is never deemed to be going out of bounds voluntarily. Coming back in immediately is subjective, but rarely comes into question because its really meant to prevent players from waiting out of bounds or running along the out of bounds line and returning into play at some convenient moment. Ariza did none of these things.

And, yes, if Ariza was athletic enough to jump in bounds and do a head spin with both feet in the air and make a three it would be legal. Yes. Yes Yes.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: