Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-13-2009, 03:47 AM   #1
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
ROSE > THAN YOU

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong wayIN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Odom or Ariza 2010?

The Lakers could be faced with the decision to keep Odom or Ariza this offseason... I know this probably isn't the time to have this conversation, but it's going to come up very soon.... who would you rather have for the next 3-4 years if you had to choose one of Odom or Ariza?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...omariza-090613

Last edited by lakerfreak : 06-14-2009 at 12:54 PM.
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:56 AM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Odom or Ariza 2010?

That is a very tough decision and I will go with Ariza.

Ariza, like Odom, provides a lot of the "little things" whether he has a bad shooting game or not. The fact is Ariza is now a cemented starter also on this team and we are successful this way.

If we were to keep Odom, our starting Small forward would be Walton, and there isn't anything wrong with that, other than we wouldn't be as good.

So Ariza should be our first option over Odom, but after we sign ariza we should also do our best to keep Odom.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
That is a very tough decision and I will go with Ariza.

Ariza, like Odom, provides a lot of the "little things" whether he has a bad shooting game or not. The fact is Ariza is now a cemented starter also on this team and we are successful this way.

If we were to keep Odom, our starting Small forward would be Walton, and there isn't anything wrong with that, other than we wouldn't be as good.

So Ariza should be our first option over Odom, but after we sign ariza we should also do our best to keep Odom.

Well, there is a large possibility that we could see the Bynum/Gasol/Odom trio play together next season if Ariza is gone. I think Odom would be better at SF than Walton though in the long run.

On the other hand, Ariza provides TOO much to lose so I would personally rather have Ariza than Odom on my team if I had to choose between the 2. Lakers FIRST priority should be to get Ariza on-board for the future. Everything else can wait, including Odom and even Kobe if he opts out. Kobe's hands are bound by the Lakers whether he knows it or not since Lakers have the upper-hand once they win the championship this year. Odom also wants to stay in LA due to his businesses so his hands are semi-bound by the Lakers (not as much as Kobe) so I think Lakers front-office should be fine waiting for Odom.

P.S. This Odom/Ariza issue has been discussed MANY MANY times already and there were MANY threads over this. I think somebody needs to sticky 1 Odom/Ariza thread so we don't have 50 people starting a new thread over this every week.

Last edited by bladefd : 06-13-2009 at 02:11 PM.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:33 AM   #4
Erathia
Local High School Star

Erathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this board

Please keep ALLLLLLL these type of discussions until the offseason! The season isn't over until the last buzzer of the Lakers 4th WIN! Present the Trophy to whichever team is Champion and enjoy it for a day or two.
Erathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Okay I added a link to the OP's post so people can talk about the topic and not about the thread.

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is a fellow poster and should have his opinion valued like the rest of us. I'll worry about the many threads.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Lets talk about Ariza's value and compare it to other people who had great years.

Luke Walton: averaged 12 ppg, 5 rebounds, 4 assists

result: 5 year, 6 million per year

Sasha Vujacic: Averaged 8 ppg off the bench shooting over 45% from threes that year.

result: 3 year, 5 million per year

When I look at Ariza's performance, its not all about scoring, but its not all about defense. Every night he does something different based on what the team needs. I think It is fit to pay ariza 5 million. That seems only fair because this performance seems as valuable as Walton and Sasha's contract year performances.

It'll be fit to give Ariza a 4-5 year deal worth something between 5-6 million per year and lets not overrate him in fear of him regressing next season lol.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

I was watching the youtube of the lakers on the Jimmy Kimmel show.

Jimmy was joking of course asking "is lamar already a free-agent" and Kobe immediately responded with.

"No way Lamar isn't going anywhere hes stayin" and everyone else seemed to agree as they were murmuring and nodding their heads.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #8
laker4life310
I hit open 5-footers

laker4life310 has decent reputation

its a tough decison if i had to choose one. lakers better sign both so that we can our main players for several years. dynasty baby!
laker4life310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
I was watching the youtube of the lakers on the Jimmy Kimmel show.

Jimmy was joking of course asking "is lamar already a free-agent" and Kobe immediately responded with.

"No way Lamar isn't going anywhere hes stayin" and everyone else seemed to agree as they were murmuring and nodding their heads.

Here is the Kimmel Show if anyone wants to watch the Lakers segment (Make sure you hit HD next to volume):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9OkMq8oShg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Oj4D37VPg
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Several times now Kobe has come out and said the Lakers have to keep both. I love the Kobe propaganda machine in action. Mitch must be going nuts everytime Kobe says this. lol
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

I mean I think anyone including Mitch would agree that to repeat, we need both.

However Kobe seems to be clueless in the business aspect of things. If he wants to take a 2-3 million dollar paycut, that would be big of him, and those 2-3 million would make a huge difference.

I don't expect Shannon Brown to stay because we will have committed so much money, and a team that thinks of his potential could offer him something about 3 million or above a year.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Kobe won't opt out...that leaves his salary a 21 mill instead of going to 25 mill...sort of a paycut?
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
Kobe won't opt out...that leaves his salary a 21 mill instead of going to 25 mill...sort of a paycut?
When did Kobe say he wouldn't opt out? All he has said is he's not going anywhere. Business wise it's best for him not to opt out and go for a 3 year extension, but still he has not commitied himself either way.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #14
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily
When did Kobe say he wouldn't opt out? All he has said is he's not going anywhere. Business wise it's best for him not to opt out and go for a 3 year extension, but still he has not commitied himself either way.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Title of that...maybe it's misinformed.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #15
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Title of that...maybe it's misinformed.

aha it's something..lol the title is

"Kobe not planning to opt out of contract"

the first line is

"EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) -- Kobe Bryant said he plans to stay with the NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers even he if opts out of his contract this summer."
???

here's what he said yesterday

Quote:
While Bryant said signing Odom, Ariza and Brown was `` of the utmost importance'' he wasn't all that chatty about his own contract situation.

`` I've been deflecting that all year, I ain't going to stop now,'' he joked.

Our own Elliott Teaford followed up with, ``Why though?'' and Bryant said, ``Because y'all are going to make it a big ass story... I'm not going anywhere, I ain't going nowhere, we'd just waste our breath just talking about it.
http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: