Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-03-2009, 02:12 AM   #1
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far
Default Every one was arong about Hansbrough.

After the combine in chicago. Hansbrough proved everyone wrong. He was more athletic than everyone assumed he was in college. How much more athletic? His drills for speed and agility were better than tyreke evans and equal if not better than Blake griffin. Not only that but he proved to be a legit 6'10'' in shoes and his reach was above average. He will not be out muscled either in the pros by looking at the fact that he benched the 185lb 18 times.

So my question is this. Was all the hate on hansbrough because of hype or because he is white?
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:48 AM   #2
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Every one was arong about Hansbrough.

Everyone was not wrong about Tyler.

Measurables are not always indicators of how athletic someone is...just look at the NFL combines and yuo can see about 3 or 4 workout warriors a year that are overrated and over ranked.

Tyler's workouts were not better or equal to Griffin's you are reaching.

My question to you would be is all the hype surrounding a player not ranked in the top 20 because he is white?
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:55 AM   #3
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

dab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation here

If you look 2 years ago, Kevin Durant had one of the least impressive workouts and look at him. How you workout does not translate into how you play. Off the top of my head, Durant couldn't bench 185, he only had a 32 inch vertical and did bad on the agility drills.

Last edited by dab0yech0 : 06-03-2009 at 04:58 AM.
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:14 AM   #4
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter
Everyone was not wrong about Tyler.

Measurables are not always indicators of how athletic someone is...just look at the NFL combines and yuo can see about 3 or 4 workout warriors a year that are overrated and over ranked.

Tyler's workouts were not better or equal to Griffin's you are reaching.

My question to you would be is all the hype surrounding a player not ranked in the top 20 because he is white?

Your wrong. Tyler's workouts were better. He has a faster sprint time and better time in the agilitly drills. Tylers reach was a little farther. But griffin has an inch higher vert and his reach at max vert is a half an inch higher. Go to www.draftexpress.com

I think if tyler was black and Blake griffin was white. Then blake would not go top five. Tyler would definitely be lottery as opposed to going top 20.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:16 AM   #5
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab0yech0
If you look 2 years ago, Kevin Durant had one of the least impressive workouts and look at him. How you workout does not translate into how you play. Off the top of my head, Durant couldn't bench 185, he only had a 32 inch vertical and did bad on the agility drills.

Youre right that durants agility and speed drills were only "ok". How ever his reach was insane, along with his height and max vert reach.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #6
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hansbrough was definitly impressive in the workouts. When I looked at his measurements I was shocked at how close he was to Griffin.

Also, people like to hate on greatness (just look at Jordan, Bird, Magic and now today you have the hate on Kobe and Lebron, etc) and let's face it, Hansbrough was an absolutely great college player.

Whether that will translate to the NBA though, is something we'll have to wait and see and is one of the main reasons that he gets ranked low in mock drafts and why GM's are a little skeptical. Although his measurements and results from the combine can only help his stock.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
BigTicket
Cavs for life

BigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
I think if tyler was black and Blake griffin was white. Then blake would not go top five. Tyler would definitely be lottery as opposed to going top 20.

Blake Griffin is white, and he is top 5, so there goes your little theory(yes I know his father is black, but his mother is white and so is his skin).
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:20 AM   #8
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
Your wrong. Tyler's workouts were better. He has a faster sprint time and better time in the agilitly drills. Tylers reach was a little farther. But griffin has an inch higher vert and his reach at max vert is a half an inch higher. Go to www.draftexpress.com

You're so heel bent on this black and white thing--it's unhealthy.

Blake Griffin is half white too, lol, don't forget that.

"-Tyler Hansbrough’s no step vertical leap of 28” is a pretty good indication of why he tends to have his shot blocked at the rim quite often. The same can be said about the likes of DeJuan Blair, Luke Harangody, and Taj Gibson. His lane agility time of 11.12 seconds and his ¾ court sprint time of 3.27 were consistent with the rest of the players at his position, though, if not slightly above average."

Tyler beat Griffin by .01 in the speed test and now he's a better or equal prospect than Griffin?
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTicket
Blake Griffin is white, and he is top 5, so there goes your little theory(yes I know his father is black, but his mother is white and so is his skin).

No he isnt considered white. What does his mother being white have to do with anything? The mother is never used to determine race.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
BigTicket
Cavs for life

BigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
No he isnt considered white. What does his mother being white have to do with anything? The mother is never used to determine race.

The labels white and black only make sense as a description of skin color, and his skin is white, thus he is white.

Or do you consider Jason Kidd a black guy as well ?
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #11
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:

His skin is white?
Old 06-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #12
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter
You're so heel bent on this black and white thing--it's unhealthy.

Blake Griffin is half white too, lol, don't forget that.

"-Tyler Hansbrough’s no step vertical leap of 28” is a pretty good indication of why he tends to have his shot blocked at the rim quite often. The same can be said about the likes of DeJuan Blair, Luke Harangody, and Taj Gibson. His lane agility time of 11.12 seconds and his ¾ court sprint time of 3.27 were consistent with the rest of the players at his position, though, if not slightly above average."

Tyler beat Griffin by .01 in the speed test and now he's a better or equal prospect than Griffin?

Didnt say they were equal. I was saying thateveryone and their mother talked about how athletic blake was and how un-athletic tyler was. And after both of them have done their drills they are arent that different. Blamke has a better vert, but not by much.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #13
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
The labels white and black only make sense as a description of skin color, and his skin is white, thus he is white.

I actually think of kidd being a black guy.

Im not saying that race matters in whether or not your good or not. But I do think that perceptions change based on the color of your skin. If oden, griffin, durant, beasley, or rose where white, I dont think they would of been drafted as high. Hansbrough has straight up destroyed the college game at every possible angle. No one has sustained this type of domination for their entire college career in a long time. In the last three drafts out of the top five picks only two players come to mind that actually had a good college pedigree of success. Al horford and Shelden Williams, maybe you could say adam morrison( but I wouldnt). But those guys got the respect they deserved. Horford look to have alot of potential and he was dominant. But you can't tell me that shelden williams deserved to be a much higher pick over Hansbrough.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #14
jailer
MillionDollarException

If I offend anyone talking about race I apologize. That is not my intention. Race is a very sketchy topic. I in no way am trying to say one race of people is better than the next. I simply am stating my opinion about how being from certain backgrounds can help you status.

On another note this is chad ford's latest column about the draft. Hansbrough is his key topic. And how he was wrong for doubting him.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...ftWatch-090604
Old 06-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #15
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

You are wrong. And yes Kidd and Bibby are black. Do yourself a favor and bow out of this argument. You're better off making the politically correct label. I'd reccommend it.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: