Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Gani Lawal withdraws from draft

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4257782

Quote:
If Georgia Tech harbored hopes of going from last place in the ACC to the NCAA tournament in one season, then the Yellow Jackets probably needed sophomore forward Gani Lawal to withdraw from the NBA draft.

Sunday afternoon he did.

Lawal told ESPN.com that he was sending in his paperwork to the NBA to meet Monday's 5 p.m. ET deadline. The 6-foot-9 Lawal averaged a team-second-best 15.1 points and a team-high 9.5 rebounds for the Yellow Jackets last season (12-19 overall, 2-14 ACC). Lawal played well in two of the highest-profile games for the Yellow Jackets last season, scoring 25 points and grabbing 10 boards in a two-point win over Wake Forest and then scoring 20 points and grabbing 14 boards in an ACC tournament win over Clemson in Atlanta.

"I'm going back to school," Lawal said. "I sat down with my family and after going through this positive experience, where I learned a lot and got a lot of exposure, I realized the best thing for me to do was to go back."

Lawal said he discovered how much he has to polish his skill set and continue to understand the nuances of the game.

"You don't get that in two or three years," Lawal said.

And weaker we get...

Lawal and Favors in the same frontcourt

Last edited by Posterize246 : 06-14-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Gani Lawal withdraws from draft

This kind of surprised me. I don't think NBA teams love him, especially after his performance late in the season, but this was a weak draft for big men. Unless his stock was worse than I thought, he was competing with Hansbrough and maybe another guy like Taj Gibson for a 1st round spot. Next year you start looking at guys like Craig Brackens, Patrick Patterson, Stanley Robinson, Deon Thompson, Ed Davis, and Samardo Samuels who should be competing for spots between 10 and 30.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

A.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Gani Lawal withdraws from draft

Kind of a stupid decision. Next year's draft is going to loaded with big men, including guys like Ed Davis, Cole Aldrich, Greg Monroe, Pat Patterson, Craig Brackins and Jerome Jordan who could have easily all gone first round this year. Not to mention that some of Lawal's stats are going to go down with the arrival of Derrick Favors, another big man who will be in next years draft.

Probably good news for Taj Gibson, Josh Heytvelt, and Jeff Pendergraph, one or more of whom will almost certainly be a first rounder now.

Last edited by A.M.G. : 06-15-2009 at 02:31 PM.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: