Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

Default Kupchak Gets Some Respect!!!

Jerry is very proud of you Mitch as are many of us Laker fans!!
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

Default Re: Kupchak Gets Some Respect!!!

Are Jerry and I the only ones congratulating Mitch? Come on!!!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

I agree that Mitch is probably going to be one of the best gms now.

Jerry and the whole Buss family seem to love this guy. Phil also seems to trust him a lot more than he trusted Jerry West even.

Seems to me Mitch is patient, and he's also unfairly criticized for his past moves when Buss was controlling a lot of the trades Mitch was trying to accomplish, i.e. the shaq trade, mitch was trying to get Wade, who people are now saying is better than Kobe. Jerry forced Mitch to just get it done either way though.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
EllEffEll
Local High School Star

Jerry Buss and Mitch Kupchak were very close to having me question my LFL status and that goes back a long time. The debacle that ensued in the middle of this past decade was unlike any period in Laker history that I can ever recall.

It's not just that they were struggling through a rebuilding period, but the way they were handling it. The LAL had always been a destination that many if not most players would love to land, yet then, we were like a lepper colony.

Buss and Kupchak didn't really begin to get it back together until after Kobe's parking lot outburst regarding Bynum.As much as I detested the way Kobe handled the situation, I agreed with his sentiment that things were not being handled poorly and too slowly to take advantage of Kobe's talent while he was still on top.

We'll never know for sure if it was the fire lit under their collective asses that made things turn around, but that was the time when things started happening faster and for the better. Much better than the previous few years.
EllEffEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllEffEll
Jerry Buss and Mitch Kupchak were very close to having me question my LFL status and that goes back a long time. The debacle that ensued in the middle of this past decade was unlike any period in Laker history that I can ever recall.

It's not just that they were struggling through a rebuilding period, but the way they were handling it. The LAL had always been a destination that many if not most players would love to land, yet then, we were like a lepper colony.

Buss and Kupchak didn't really begin to get it back together until after Kobe's parking lot outburst regarding Bynum.As much as I detested the way Kobe handled the situation, I agreed with his sentiment that things were not being handled poorly and too slowly to take advantage of Kobe's talent while he was still on top.

We'll never know for sure if it was the fire lit under their collective asses that made things turn around, but that was the time when things started happening faster and for the better. Much better than the previous few years.

Well to respond to the bolded area, Whether Kobe was right or not, he really killed our leverage and God bless the grizzlies for being "open minded" about what we needed and what they wanted.

After Kobe's little outburst, Larry Bird was trying to make us trade them Bynum, LO, and Kwame as well as 2 first rounders. Look today at what would have happened if Kobe had pressured mitch into making that deal.

We would have had an overpaid JO who was averaging under 15 ppg, injured a lot, terrible rebounding, and little defense.

Instead, we used Kwame and the picks to land us Pau who averaged 18/10 on 60% in the finals, LO who rebounded well and I think averaged a double double in the finals, and Andrew Bynum who helped a lot in limiting Dwight Howard. Andrew also keeps showing promise and I expect him to be back to full strength next year.

Magic Johnson was quoted to say "Even if Kobe didn't demand a trade we were going to make moves". This was said shortly after Kobe's outburst and I don't think Magic is going to lie about something like that. Buss had been a winner all his life, same with Magic. They deserved the benefit of the doubt from Kobe.

Without the FO, Kobe would have nothing to be proud of.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Kobe4life
Banned

* finds 30 topics of kubchak bashings
Kobe4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllEffEll

100% Agree!!!!!!!

I LOVE Magic but he is a company man who is great at spin politics, I don't take much stock in what he says because he is covering their a$$es.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

^^^^GREAT to have you back brother..Where have you been lately? Welcome back you were well missed.
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA.MJ&KB#1
^^^^GREAT to have you back brother..Where have you been lately? Welcome back you were well missed.

Thanks Bro I've been out raising $$$$$$$ for business projects....and enjoying my LAKERS!!!!!!
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

This CupCake does taste Sweeeet!
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
alexthegod
Local High School Star

Mitch's has done an outstanding job really. He's never waivered from his path, not even when Kobe blew up and demanded a trade. That right there would be enough to derail most GMs.

He's really put his stamp on this team:
PG DFish - Free Agent
C Bynum - 10th pick in 2005.
PF/C Gasol - Trade in 2007 (Kwame, McKie, Marc Gasol, J-Critt, 2 1st round picks).
SF Ariza - Trade in 2007 (Cook and Evans for Ariza)
SG Brown - Trade in 2008 (Vlad for Morrison and Brown)
PF Odom - Trade in 2004 (LO, Butler, Grant, 1st round pick for Shaq)
SG Sasha - 27th pick 2004
PG Farmar - 26th pick 2005
PF Powell - Free Agent
C Mbenga - Free Agent
PG Yue - 2nd round pick 2007

He built every part of this team except for Kobe. Thats an outstanding job!
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:08 AM   #12
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod
Mitch's has done an outstanding job really. He's never waivered from his path, not even when Kobe blew up and demanded a trade. That right there would be enough to derail most GMs.

He's really put his stamp on this team:
PG DFish - Free Agent
C Bynum - 10th pick in 2005.
PF/C Gasol - Trade in 2007 (Kwame, McKie, Marc Gasol, J-Critt, 2 1st round picks).
SF Ariza - Trade in 2007 (Cook and Evans for Ariza)
SG Brown - Trade in 2008 (Vlad for Morrison and Brown)
PF Odom - Trade in 2004 (LO, Butler, Grant, 1st round pick for Shaq)
SG Sasha - 27th pick 2004
PG Farmar - 26th pick 2005
PF Powell - Free Agent
C Mbenga - Free Agent
PG Yue - 2nd round pick 2007

He built every part of this team except for Kobe. Thats an outstanding job!
He's done a great job since taking over the helm. He guided this team through some really rough times and I don't think he gets enough credit for it. The whole Shaq mess, then Kobe's trade demands. Mitch never "Waivered from his path" like you said, he just kept his head down and stuck to the plan, never got involved with the wars of words, never took a shot at any of the main players. He just would decline to comment and kept on going.

I remember when Kobe made his demands to be traded, Mitch said "you never trade a player of Kobe's talent" Kobe had just been on every radio station that day talking about playing on Pluto, demanding out of LA and all Mitch could or would say is "you never trade a player of Kobe's talent" Kobe must have been fuming. lol
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:51 AM   #13
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily
He's done a great job since taking over the helm. He guided this team through some really rough times and I don't think he gets enough credit for it. The whole Shaq mess, then Kobe's trade demands. Mitch never "Waivered from his path" like you said, he just kept his head down and stuck to the plan, never got involved with the wars of words, never took a shot at any of the main players. He just would decline to comment and kept on going.

I remember when Kobe made his demands to be traded, Mitch said "you never trade a player of Kobe's talent" Kobe had just been on every radio station that day talking about playing on Pluto, demanding out of LA and all Mitch could or would say is "you never trade a player of Kobe's talent" Kobe must have been fuming. lol

Lol that was my second favorite mitch comment next to "enough has been said".

He did say that quite a few times.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:51 AM   #14
Fedor - Laker
Local High School Star

totally agree, you must tip your hat off to Mitch, he's done an excellent, excellent job for this team, and thank ****ing God that we didn't get Jermain Overated Oneal.
Fedor - Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #15
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

thanks everyone!!! some excellent points!!!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: