Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #31
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Lakers Offseason Thread: Transactions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
Sammy went one-on-one too and did worse. If we didn't have Bynum this series, we would have lost. There would be too much foul trouble for Odom/Gasol, and we'd have to bring Mbenga off the bench.
Bynum had 30 points, 21 rebounds total in the series. He also had 18 personal fouls. He did help on some level but his production could easily be replaced by alot of players in the league.

Don't misunderstand, I like Bynum and am fine with him as a Laker. But there comes a point when you look at his actual contributions on the floor and balance it against his paycheck and you have to wonder if this money could be better spent?
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #32
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily
Bynum had 30 points, 21 rebounds total in the series. He also had 18 personal fouls. He did help on some level but his production could easily be replaced by alot of players in the league.

Don't misunderstand, I like Bynum and am fine with him as a Laker. But there comes a point when you look at his actual contributions on the floor and balance it against his paycheck and you have to wonder if this money could be better spent?
His overall performance in the playoffs and the dollars don't matchup, that's for sure. But if he stays healthy and gives us 15/10 at age 21, that's great and worth the money, good now, better later.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #33
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

"But if he"

That's a 12 million dollar "if", usally guys pulling down that type of money have shown more than streaks of potential after 4 years in the league
Old 06-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #34
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
"But if he"

That's a 12 million dollar "if", usally guys pulling down that type of money have shown more than streaks of potential after 4 years in the league

Not really. There are plenty of guys who get paid alot with less flashes than what Bynum has shown. The amount of 7 footer's who had potenial and got paid too much is very high....
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #35
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Net
Not really. There are plenty of guys who get paid alot with less flashes than what Bynum has shown. The amount of 7 footer's who had potenial and got paid too much is very high....
Examples?
Old 06-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #36
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Examples?

Jerome James is the main one I can think of...I'm sure I will research it and see there are quite a few others who got big contracts for play that was hardly considered great. The amount is higher than you think.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #37
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Examples?

Kwame was makin almost 9 mill.

Theo Ratliff almost 12 mill. (before)

Z-Bo & Eddy Curry.

Raef LaFrentz 12 mill.

Dampier 9 mill.

Dalembert 9 mill.

Some big men contracts are very ugly now like JO or Shaq or Ben Wallace.

Quote:
From USA Today
Position Avg. salary

Point guard $3,672,966

Shooting guard $4,504,900

Small forward $3,767,771

Power forward $4,273,758

Center $4,666,934

Someone would have definetly paid Bynum more and we probably would have to match that. Looks like a great deal to me if he doesn't keep getting injured.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #38
laker4life310
I hit open 5-footers

laker4life310 has decent reputation

i do have to agree with daily on this, i think a lot of people over estimated and over hyped bynum. i think the media and bynum showing spurts for couple of games of averaging good numbers led everyone to believe that he was a young center on the verge of becoming a decent or great center.

in addition, due to his injuries and his age the laker fans have been patiently waiting and still waiting for him to to become a great or decent big BUT......

how many years or games did it take for a great/good centers (yao, shaq, duncan, the players coming out of high school such as dwight, al jefferson, jermaine o'neal which took a while because the guy simply didnt get playing time with the blazers until he was traded to the pacers) for them to reach their potential status and consistent night in and night out putting up the numbers?

i think we have to look at bynum as just a decent/ subpar center and someone who is expendable because i clearly do not see him becoming a center like the players i have mentioned before.
laker4life310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:42 AM   #39
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodeathgrip
A package like Walton Morrison Sasha!! For a back-up center or good pg!!!

Powel Mbenga bye bye

Farmar Yue and even Fisher should be consider as a possible throw in trade!!!!
Also Draft picks I always want to throw in draft pick in trade!!! Bad habit!!!

Morrison Walton Farmar are getting like 5 mil each throw in Fisher and we equal Shaq 20 mil!! I hate that the Cav's are about to trade nothing and get Shaq for a year!!! That makes the Cav's as good as the Laker's maybe even better!!! Considering they still could pick up another good-player through trade or Mid-level!!!

The Cavs are not about to get Shaq. That deal is not going to happen as rumored. PHX cant afford to trade Shaq for cap space and throw away the season before it starts. IF Shaq is getting traded it wont be until the allstar break.

Just like all the rumors last year, the deal doesnt make sense for PHX and thats why it didnt happen. Getting Wally Z's contract would have been much more attractive than anything CLE can offer this year.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:47 AM   #40
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker4life310
i think we have to look at bynum as just a decent/ subpar center and someone who is expendable because i clearly do not see him becoming a center like the players i have mentioned before.

Its still to early to make a judgement on the kid. He was starting to play the best basketball of his life both times he went down. He hasnt played a full season as a starter yet. I want to see him make it though the whole season next year and then we will get a better idea.

He is a very young 21. Dont forget he didnt play basketball his whole life.

As far as the contract goes, the Lakers gambled by doing up a contract early so they could make it shorter just in case he doesnt pan out. He got a 3 year deal instead of the 6 year max deal he was looking for.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #41
The Magic Man
Gots Ta Be Li Showtam!

The Magic Man is a pretty well-respected posterThe Magic Man is a pretty well-respected posterThe Magic Man is a pretty well-respected poster

Aaaarrrgggg!! Come on guys, tell me you aren't this crazy?!! This kid was balling out of his mind before the injury. Both injuries! I witnessed it with my own eyes at Staples. The lobby was filled with Bynum merchandise. The boy was moving around the lane freely and gracefuly. His teamate fell into his damn knee. He came back from the injury too early. This kid is the real deal man. Let him heal up this summer. Watch, he will be the truth. the thing that's dumb is that people are on his case for not averaging like 20/10. He's like the 4th option! At 21, if he can average 10/9/2 blocks for a few years, what more do we need from him? He is the future. Bynum for Sam?!! Philly would do that deal in a millisecond. Bynum for Scola? I may be wrong, but isn't Scola like 28 or something like that?

I don't get it. Why are some of you dowing this kid when he was putting up good number pre-injury (wich wasn't even his fault so stop labeling him injury prone)?
The Magic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #42
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

It's foolish to be so down on Bynum at this stage, he is still 21 years old and if he stays healthly watch him become a force. I just don't see anyway he won't be really good next year if he suffers no injury problems...the guy is so talented, he will get it togeather next year which what most realistic fans expect out of him
Old 06-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #43
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

it's not a question of being down on Bynum it's just that he has made himself somewhat tradeable.
he wanted the big paycheck and he got it. once he got that big contract expectaions rose and that contract will always be part of any discussion when it comes to bynum's true value.

i understand he is coming off an injury and such but that's two years in a row he's been hurt. both incidents were not his fault but the fact is players fall into other players every night and twice it's taken bynum out for half a season, this is not good, it's not like he took shots from LT out there, players just fell into him and they were season ending injuries.

the thing is with pau on board, bynum is not needed to win games. we have a team that is built to win now and did so without alot of production from bynum.

so is it wise to keep him and his salary or move him for a player or players that could really solidify the roster and help build a team that is going to be able to make runs at titles for the next few years?

i'm actually fine with bynum for one more try at it, but i can see and certainly understand the view that this team could get deeper and stronger if he was moved for the right players.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #44
barbaroi
Local High School Star

barbaroi has decent reputationbarbaroi has decent reputation

I think you guys are crazy for thinking that trading Bynum away would be worthwhile.

The dude had a 42/15/3 blk game. Only 11 Centers since 1986 have managed 40+/15+, and he was the second youngest behind only Shaq to perform that feat.

For the 15 games before his first injury he averaged 18ppg/12rpg/2.5 blk on 65% shooting as a 3rd option. Average centers don't do that at age 20.

For the 11 games before his second injury, he averaged 22ppg/10rpg/2.5 blk on well over 60% shooting as a 3rd option. Average centers don't do that at age 21.

He came back early from his injury so that he could help the team; he did help, not greatly but he helped. He was also on the recieving end of some of the pettiest foul calls on the Lakers or he would have been able to help more. Once he has this summer to heal up fully and round back into shape I have no doubt we'll be seeing the Bynum we love. It may not be right at the start of next season, but with some playing time he will regain his confidence. We don't need him to be a monster for us right now, just a decent C. He can definitely provide atleast that, and probably much more.

We would be insane to trade him away because we are good enough to win it now even if he struggles a bit as he develops as a player, and it will pay dividends in the future.
barbaroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #45
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
For the 15 games before his first injury
For the 11 games before his second injury

Entering his 5th season as a Laker and after playing 215 games these are not high points. When after that many games all we can rest our hopes on is a combined 26 games over a two years span don't you see a pattern here?

At this time I don't thik we are looking at an elite talent here, what we see is another journey man center who will have some good games and some bad ones and a truckload of mediocre ones

I may be 100% wrong. I hope I am but after all this time I think we'd have more than 26 games or so of decent play to look at if he was going to live up to the hype
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: