Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
ROSE > THAN YOU

Default Can Lakers keep BOTH Ariza and Odom?

Can they keep both Ariza and Odom or is that impossible with cap restrictions?
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
alexthegod
Local High School Star

Default Re: Can Lakers keep BOTH Ariza and Odom?

they can, they have the bird rights to both which means they can go over the cap to resign them.

I think Kobe, Ariza, and LO really want to keep this together, so I think Kobe opts out and takes a paycut (20 mil per salary), Ariza gets the midlevel, and LO gets a reasonable deal done. Around 8 mil per

Mark it down!
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
djwhizard
drum & bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod
they can, they have the bird rights to both which means they can go over the cap to resign them.

I think Kobe, Ariza, and LO really want to keep this together, so I think Kobe opts out and takes a paycut (20 mil per salary), Ariza gets the midlevel, and LO gets a reasonable deal done. Around 8 mil per

Mark it down!

If Kobe opts out to take a pay cut, that would be the most impressive thing he has ever done, and the biggest sign of his maturation as a player and a leader.

He has said publicly he would never take a pay cut, it isn't his job to take less money (Its the Laker Org's job to take the necessary steps to make the numbers work).... So, I don't see it happening, would be the best thing for the team if he would though.
djwhizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

Buss has stated he would pay if the Lakers won it all...no reason why he won't go through with signing both.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
djwhizard
drum & bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Net
Buss has stated he would pay if the Lakers won it all...no reason why he won't go through with signing both.

Lets hope so!
djwhizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
mariodeathgrip
incoherent!!!!

Cool Re: Can Lakers keep BOTH Ariza and Odom?

No they have to trade Odom now for Shaq before he goes to the Cavs!!! trust me it has to be done now!!! lol
mariodeathgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Droth24
Gonna kick cancers ass

This postseason Ariza has become my favorite laker.... love this guy to death if we lose him i will be on suicide watch! haha
Droth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodeathgrip
No they have to trade Odom now for Shaq before he goes to the Cavs!!! trust me it has to be done now!!! lol

lol for about 1.3 secs, I almost believed you.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
akts
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhizard
If Kobe opts out to take a pay cut, that would be the most impressive thing he has ever done, and the biggest sign of his maturation as a player and a leader.

He has said publicly he would never take a pay cut, it isn't his job to take less money (Its the Laker Org's job to take the necessary steps to make the numbers work).... So, I don't see it happening, would be the best thing for the team if he would though.

I agree on Kobe Taking a paycut to keep his team he so publicly stated he loved stay together... but I am afraid they will simply lowball Lamar. Why? They are intent that Bynum will be returning to his pre injured play. As such he should fill the void Lamar would leave. Lamar was/is Bynum's Insurance policy/Blanket.As Odom slipped into the PF slot allowing Gasol to be the Ctr. As we all know. I would hope they would be as intent on keeping Lamar in case Bynum gets hurt or Ariza goes down.

I would rather they let Sasha walk, save his cash resign Ariza, Odom and S. Brown to a smaller contract .. maybe a 1 year as Morrison can stroke the three and Ariza's new range should compensate that as well. S. brown's size and defense can make up for Sasha's loss at that end also.
If it gets worse for cash I can see us letting Mbenga go. The core needs to stay intact. I Hope Kobe realizes this as do our free agents considering the market.
akts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

I'm all for keeping both. Maybe if they play the poker game...telling Kobe we have to let Ariza go and if Kobe wants another 2 ring opportunities, he has to get imaginative on his own in suggesting to the Lakers he get a paycut so they can keep Ariza. Cuz chemistry takes time to build.
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
Thethirdguy
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droth24
This postseason Ariza has become my favorite laker.... love this guy to death if we lose him i will be on suicide watch! haha

Ariza has been my favorite player since a couple months after we traded for him. Ive seen his potential all along and while everyone was talking about how much better we would have done with Bynum in the lineup last year during the playoffs i was constantly talking about how much Ariza would have helped us.

Before Ariza came to the Lakers, Odom was far and away my favorite Laker. I dont know what it is but I have a thing for players who go unnoticed by everyone. Theres no way in hell we win this championship without either Odom or Ariza...and over the past few years, first Odom then Ariza, in my opinion, have been the most underated players in the league.

I honestly am praying to god every day that we can end up keeping both of them. I dont care much for the financial side of the game because I hate doing math and id rather not bother with it. But if we end up losing either of them it changes everything and we go from being a unquestionable championship calibur team to a team that just has a chance to win it all and nothing more

Either way, if we lose either of them, its a significant downgrade in our lineup imo,

Last edited by Thethirdguy : 06-15-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Thethirdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #12
Droth24
Gonna kick cancers ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thethirdguy
I dont know what it is but I have a thing for players who go unnoticed by everyone.
dude exactly, like everyone just sees kobe and pau and thinks thats why LA is soo good but its so untrue its sad, these guys make us
Droth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:24 AM   #13
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

Anyone got a link to Lamar Odom talking about getting traded for Shaq & Pau getting traded for Kwame?
LA_Showtime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:22 AM   #14
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

I hope we can keep both of them. I keep hearing Buss will pay the luxury tax etc. Maybe Kobe and others will take less?
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

I hope we don't make the CHI mistake of blowing this winning team up...

Give them the chance to repeat!!! Please!!!

If Bynum can improve, if Sasha gets his shooting touch back, if
Odom and Ariza keep playing well, if we stay healthy, if if if if....
we will have another great shot at the ring next year. It takes so
long to build a contender, why blow it up?
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: