Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
Robster89
Serious playground baller

Robster89 has decent reputationRobster89 has decent reputation
Default Re: Can Lakers keep BOTH Ariza and Odom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod
they can, they have the bird rights to both which means they can go over the cap to resign them.

I think Kobe, Ariza, and LO really want to keep this together, so I think Kobe opts out and takes a paycut (20 mil per salary), Ariza gets the midlevel, and LO gets a reasonable deal done. Around 8 mil per

Mark it down!

I agree.
They can get this done.
Kobe takes 5 year 100 mil (or maybe 110)
20 mil per or with slight escalations.
Basically trades a few mil this year and next for an extention.
Remember, with a championship now and a sacrifice to keep this team together, his marketing ability becomes as high as its ever been.
Trev takes around MLE money (unless another team does something crazy).
And LO takes in the 8 range to start, maybe escalating to the 10 range. (Again, unless another team gets crazy).
The thing is, very few attarctive franchises have cap room. Detriot being an exception.
Plus, Boozer will probably be ahead of anyone in the big money game.
A lot of very good and popular palyers are going to end up with MLE money.
(Sheed, AI, and countless others.
The Lakers can maintain this team with a payroll of around 90.
The bonus is that after next season, both Fish and Morrison come off the books, dropping over 12 mil off the payroll.
If we keep Shannon, and Farmar continues to develope, we may be able to simply let those contracts go and not need to replace.
Oviously, I think Fish retires and hopefully becomes a Laker coach, he's family.

I think we're in an excellent position.
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #17
Crash
Its Showtime

Crash is popular on this boardCrash is popular on this boardCrash is popular on this boardCrash is popular on this boardCrash is popular on this board

The real question is...

Do we need to add? Do we need to "reload" so to speak? With a Vet that wants a ring and will have the hunger?

Sometimes its tough to repeat when players are happy they got their first.
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #18
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

LA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation here

Yes, Jery Buss could keep both Ariza and Odom but, overall this current lakers squad needs to improve to repeat next year.

Now, lets not forget how bad certain players played from mid-season leading up to our Championship drive. Only Derek Fishers/Luke/Farmar came out of their slumps while players like Sasha couldn't hit the ocean..D/F time is up as a starting PG no disrespect fisher role is to mentor Farmar to take the PG spot for next year.

Sorry I'm getting to deep into the Question at hand.
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #19
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Man it would be much easier to sign Ariza or Odom if we dumped Sasha to some team or better yet Luke...Then our back up SF can be Grant Hill on vet min?
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:00 AM   #20
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Ariza Hopes To Remain With Lakers
Quote:

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Trevor Ariza said Tuesday he would love to return to the Los Angeles Lakers next season.

The fifth-year forward becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1, along with teammate Lamar Odom, who made $14.1 million this season and turns 30 in November.

The downtrodden economy, however, could play a part in how much other teams are willing to offer free agents this summer.

Ariza

Ariza earned $3.1 million this season and he raised his price considerably during the postseason, when he averaged 11.3 points, 4.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists during the Lakers' run to their 15th NBA championship.

One of the lasting impressions Ariza left on Lakers' management is shutting down Orlando's Hedo Turkoglu in the Game 5 clincher on Sunday. Ariza turns 24 in late June.

Ariza had his individual season-ending interview with coach Phil Jackson and general manager Mitch Kupchak on Tuesday.

"I definitely felt a lot of love," Ariza said about the atmosphere at the meeting. "They definitely told me I improved a lot and they're happy with the way that I played and how much I was able to help our team.

"I'd love to come back. Money is important, this is our job here, but I built a bond with my coaches and my teammates. We have a really good team and I think we'll be good for a long time."

Ariza stressed that the sense of belonging he feels among his teammates is a critical factor in where he plays next season.

"The most important thing for me is to feel like I'm part of something," he said. "Throughout this process, I'm going to take into consideration a lot of different things, but that's probably the most important thing."

With veterans Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol and Derek Fisher leading the way, Ariza said, "They made me feel as equally important as they are."

He was acquired by the Lakers in a trade from Orlando in November 2007.

"I didn't really get a chance to play or I was too young or I didn't fit into other people's systems the way they would like me to," he said.

The 6-foot-8 forward left UCLA after one season and was drafted by the New York Knicks with the 43rd overall pick in 2004.

Coach Phil Jackson has yet to confirm whether he'll return after winning his record 10th NBA title, moving him past Boston's Red Auerbach. But some of his players believe he'll be back.

"I didn't get the feeling leaving that he wasn't going to be my coach next season," Fisher said.

"I could be wrong, but I just think that we have a collection of players with the veteran leadership of Kobe and myself, he can feel good about the ability to coach and manage this team. All the work is not just on him to try to continue to get this team to grow."

Gasol said he got the feeling Jackson wants to continue coaching.

"I really hope he can coach us again, not just for one year, for as long as he wants or can," he said.

Luke Walton said the way Jackson spoke led him to believe there won't be a coaching change next season.

"He was saying what he expects for next year," Walton said. "Everything he said was with the intention he will be back, but obviously I can't read him, not many people can."

Also having exit interviews Tuesday were Jordan Farmar and Sun Yue. The Lakers hold a $736,000 option on Yue for next season.

Bryant, who can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, Odom and others will meet with Jackson and Kupchak later this week.

Fisher has another season at $5 million on his contract, as does Farmar at $1.9 million. Walton has four years and $21.6 million remaining.

."

Be surprised if Ariza does leave L.A.

Last edited by All Net : 06-17-2009 at 02:10 AM.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:04 AM   #21
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Sh!t...

They better.

WE need both of those guys!
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:20 AM   #22
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I really hope we get both...BUT

If Ariza leaves...Grant hill on Vet min and re-sign Odom.

If Odom leaves...McDyess on Vet min and re-sign Ariza.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:58 AM   #23
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose

Grant's defense is terrible and Ariza's defense single handedly won us a considerable amount of games in both the regular season, as well as 2 crucial games in the WCF and his amazing finals performance.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:15 AM   #24
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Grant's defense is terrible and Ariza's defense single handedly won us a considerable amount of games in both the regular season, as well as 2 crucial games in the WCF and his amazing finals performance.
I know, but at least it would be a back-up at that position. He averaged 12 PPG in PHX this season...Luke would go back to starter. Hill=vet leadership. Also a healthy vet putting it all on the line to win it all ala Payton, Zo, Malone.

Though of course I want Ariza back at all costs.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #25
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Whats the max you think Buss and Mitch would pay to keep them both?
Old 06-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #26
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose

I say the Laker attempt to gain McDyess for the Vet min... even if they sign both L.O. and Ariza...
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #27
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

LA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

We've got a lot of work to do this summer... and yet a move here and there could make this team a potential dynasty.

The front office needs to decide if Jordan Farmar is going to be the Lakers starting point guard next season. He's in a contract year, and he probably thinks he deserves to start.

Ariza or Lamar Odom? I'm probably one of the few who would pick Lamar. He allows our team to play "big-small ball" in that he can defend quicker 4's but we don't lose anything on defense. Plus I like veterans over younger players.

Can you guys imagine how good the Lakers will be if Andrew Bynum returns to form?
LA_Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #28
Elgin Baylor
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Elgin Baylor is considered somewhat coolElgin Baylor is considered somewhat coolElgin Baylor is considered somewhat cool

A similar, but shorter article from my local paper:
Quote:
LAKERS: Trevor Ariza would like to return to Los Angeles next season. The fifth-year forward becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1, along with teammate Lamar Odom, who made $14.1 million this season and turns 30 in November.
Looks like it's in your hands whether you want to keep this team together Lamar.
Elgin Baylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #29
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

Lamar has stated he wants to return too.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #30
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
We've got a lot of work to do this summer... and yet a move here and there could make this team a potential dynasty.

The front office needs to decide if Jordan Farmar is going to be the Lakers starting point guard next season. He's in a contract year, and he probably thinks he deserves to start.

Ariza or Lamar Odom? I'm probably one of the few who would pick Lamar. He allows our team to play "big-small ball" in that he can defend quicker 4's but we don't lose anything on defense. Plus I like veterans over younger players.

Can you guys imagine how good the Lakers will be if Andrew Bynum returns to form?

That is particularly what has been on my mind lately. He always seems to start slow, but then when he gains comfort and confidence.. he busts out of his solid play and becomes great. Maybe third years the charm and he will no longer injure himself midseason.. If this occurs, the Lakers will be even better than this playoff version of them.

So while it may be presumtious for me to say.... I really believe that the Lakers will go back-to-back....
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: