Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #16
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Who do you want to Coach the Lakers if Phil retires?

Byron Scott is my first choice. I know he is under contract but didn't they allow the Kings to talk to him? Kurt Rambis would be up there, but let's not forget he wasn't amazing in 99 when he was the coach, and Phil came in the next year and made a team that was pretty much the same players an amazing team. That's what scares me about Rambis. That team had a lot of talent and didn't do what they should have with it. I think he is just more of a fan favorite now because he's under Phil and people forgot about that season.

It may take someone like that again who can be fired after the fans get upset they don't have Phil anymore because when you think about it, he's the greatest coach there is, and he really can't be replaced. Even without Jordan that one season (I think 95) he was basically a bad call away from going to the ECF and having a legit shot at going to the finals. The Bulls had a very similiar roster from when Doug Collins was the coach to when Phil took over and Phil had much more success. I think it's just going to be very tough to replace him. It's hard to imagine someone else on the sideline right now.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #17
laker4life310
I hit open 5-footers

laker4life310 has decent reputation

Byron Scott would be a good decision if pjax decides to retire and hang up it up from coaching....to have a former lakers player or an assistant to pjax, certainty b.shaw and hamlen would be a formidable coach. not too sure with rambis though, from his previous lakers coaching.
laker4life310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #18
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

SourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i'm not impressed with scott at all. his offense is basically give the ball to chris paul and let him do something.

also i heard the players had started not listening to him. no clue if that is the truth but the team really quite on him in the playoffs during that epic loss to denver.

no thanks for me
SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #19
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

One guy who always seems to take a group of ball players and make them better than what they should be is Nate McMillan. Even those he's the Blazers coach he is one of my favorites in the league right now. He'd be someone worth looking at too.

The other one that will be in the rumors is coach K too even though it probably wouldn't ever happen.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #20
djwhizard
drum & bass!

djwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourGrapes
i'm not impressed with scott at all. his offense is basically give the ball to chris paul and let him do something.

also i heard the players had started not listening to him. no clue if that is the truth but the team really quite on him in the playoffs during that epic loss to denver.

no thanks for me

Agree. Thought about Scott, but I do think he is overrated as coach, and also has way too much ego and pride - and puts that above team interests. He does not get along with players that well, and once you are in his doghouse, you aren't coming out. Bad for chemistry. I do think he wants the job though.

I am not going to judge Kurt Rambis from a coaching stint in '99, because I think he has learned so much more since then with his years under Phil. I'd probably prefer Shaw, but Rambis wouldn't be terrible.

Jeff Van Gundy would be terrible though. I would hate listening to that guy at the press conferences after the game, haha.

Also, Rambis didn't take the Kings job because it wasn't a good job, or a good situation. It paid much less than what a standard NBA coach makes/should make... And also, its not stable - you don't even know if the team will be in Sacramento next year or the year after. Rambis not taking the job is not really an indication of anything - except knowing a bad job when you see one.
djwhizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #21
JJ81
Good college starter

JJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this board

Phil has no intention of leaving yet (according to his agent).
JJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:42 AM   #22
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ81
Phil has no intention of leaving yet (according to his agent).

Thats great news
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:02 AM   #23
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would like to see erik spoelstra, Larry Brown or MAYBE JVG.

MAYBE.
MJ(Mean John) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #24
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I wouldn't want Larry Brown anywhere near a guy like Bynum...last thing you need is for Bynum to lose more confidence. That said I expect a big season next year out of Drew.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:30 AM   #25
dd24
College superstar

Very good news on Phil potentially staying. I don't like Spolestra or Brown. I hated what he did in Detroit and he certainly didn't do any better in NY. I really think he held Detroit back from maximizing their potential even though they still won a championship.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:34 AM   #26
djwhizard
drum & bass!

djwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected poster

Man, lets get phil a cup from a fountain of youth so he can coach another dozen years.
djwhizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:37 AM   #27
dd24
College superstar

I don't just think about it as a loss for the Lakers when Phil finally decides to retire. That's a big loss for basketball. There aren't too many coaches that make you want to watch a basketball game. Phil has always been one of those few that make teams more interesting. So hopefully he does get his drink on from the fountain of youth...
Old 06-17-2009, 03:52 AM   #28
Mgamer20o0
Great young streetballer

Mgamer20o0 has decent reputationMgamer20o0 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhizard
I am not going to judge Kurt Rambis from a coaching stint in '99, because I think he has learned so much more since then with his years under Phil. I'd probably prefer Shaw, but Rambis wouldn't be terrible.

Jeff Van Gundy would be terrible though. I would hate listening to that guy at the press conferences after the game, haha.

Also, Rambis didn't take the Kings job because it wasn't a good job, or a good situation. It paid much less than what a standard NBA coach makes/should make... And also, its not stable - you don't even know if the team will be in Sacramento next year or the year after. Rambis not taking the job is not really an indication of anything - except knowing a bad job when you see one.
didnt he take over that year in 99? it wasnt that he was there from the start or i could be remembering right. rodman came on and gave him a hard time.

turns out it was the lowest paid coaching job out there also no wonder why he turned it down.
Mgamer20o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:55 AM   #29
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker4life310
Byron Scott would be a good decision if pjax decides to retire and hang up it up from coaching....to have a former lakers player or an assistant to pjax, certainty b.shaw and hamlen would be a formidable coach. not too sure with rambis though, from his previous lakers coaching.
looool my opinion differs from everything you said about all of them.

From watching Byronn, he will get a new star point guard or go to a new team, and then a year later he will be very predictable. Hamblen has had a terrible coaching experience with the bucks and with us when Rudy T retired.

I dont know much about Shaw but when I see him, he's talking to players about what they can do better on a next possession rather than drawing up X's and O's.

Rambis on the other hand coached the lakers through the WCF where they eventually lost to the Jazz so he definitely has a better track record. He seems to be doing well with all the players. Seems very well liked as well.

There is a reason that Kurt Rambis was offered a job every single year while the other guys, not so much lol.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:16 AM   #30
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
looool my opinion differs from everything you said about all of them.

From watching Byronn, he will get a new star point guard or go to a new team, and then a year later he will be very predictable. Hamblen has had a terrible coaching experience with the bucks and with us when Rudy T retired.

I dont know much about Shaw but when I see him, he's talking to players about what they can do better on a next possession rather than drawing up X's and O's.

Rambis on the other hand coached the lakers through the WCF where they eventually lost to the Jazz so he definitely has a better track record. He seems to be doing well with all the players. Seems very well liked as well.

There is a reason that Kurt Rambis was offered a job every single year while the other guys, not so much lol.
Agreed, I'd want Rambis and hopefully the triangle or some of it stays.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: