Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
jrong
Revolution untelevised

Default Number of additional rings Kobe needs to win as the #1 option to surpass MJ: FOUR

Here's my logic: When we count rings to compare players, we usually compare the number of championships won by the #1 player on the team. For example:

Michael Jordan = 6 rings
Larry Bird = 3 rings

However, prior to last night, Kobe Bryant also had 3 rings. So did Bryant's 3 rings = Bird's 3 rings?

No. The reason is that Kobe's 3 prior rings were earned as the second option-- the #2.

So here's what I propose: each ring earned as a #1= 1; each ring earned as a #2= .5

So, Kobe has now earned one ring as a #1 (counting as 1) and three rings as a #2 (counting as 1.5). That gives him a 2.5 so far.

MJ, on the other hand, has six rings as the #1 which gives him a 6. So, Kobe actually needs four more rings as a #1 to get to 6.5, and thus pass Mike. (It gets confusing, because if Kobe won 3 more as a #1, he'd actually have a total of seven rings (one more than MJ overall), but to me, he'd still be behind him (with a 5.5). So he actually needs eight rings overall, if he wins five as the #1 and three as the #2 to pass Jordan.

In other words, it's probably not going to happen. Kobe is 30 now, right? Only Michael Jordan could win rings as a #1 at age 35 - 36....

(Anyway, that's my formula. Or do you think "sidekicks" should get more pts. than just .5?)

Last edited by jrong : 06-15-2009 at 12:47 PM.
jrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
23ajay
LA champions again

Default Re: Number of additional rings Kobe needs to win as the #1 option to surpass MJ: FOUR

i think sidekicks should get the same amount 0.5
23ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

Default Re: Number of additional rings Kobe needs to win as the #1 option to surpass MJ: FOUR

"Here's my logic: When we count rings to compare players, we usually compare the number of championships won by the #1 player on the team"

Why would you use a team acomplishment to compare individuals? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Last edited by daily : 06-15-2009 at 12:51 PM.
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Peter Griffin
Banned

Why does he NEED to pass MJ?!
Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
jrong
Revolution untelevised

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily
"Here's my logic: When we count rings to compare players, we usually compare the number of championships won by the #1 player on the team"

Why would you use a team acomplishment to compare individuals? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

No, it's not "the dumbest thing you have heard". In fact, it's one of the most common things you've heard if you follow sports talk AT ALL. Championships won are one of the most common measures to compare greatness among players in any team sport, but particularly basketball, where one player can have so much influence.

Quote:
Why does he NEED to pass MJ?!

He doesn't. It's a hypothetical discussion to pass time until draft talk heats up.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
KenneBell
What set you claim?

Yawn.
KenneBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

No one will ever surpass MJ. Please stop making these topics. What a disgrace to the legend they call Michael Jordan. Yes Kobe is a great player. Yes Kobe is even one of the greatest players of all time and he still hasn't finished his career yet! All that aside, please stop with the MJ and Kobe comparisons. Kobe is not better than MJ. Not now, not ever. Get over it.
Hoodlum Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
quasimoto
Banned

Some of you guys are obsessed. Really.
quasimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimoto
Some of you guys are obsessed. Really.

I know I wanted to konk the OP right upside the noggin'.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
jrong
Revolution untelevised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
No one will ever surpass MJ. Please stop making these topics. What a disgrace to the legend they call Michael Jordan. Yes Kobe is a great player. Yes Kobe is even one of the greatest players of all time and he still hasn't finished his career yet! All that aside, please stop with the MJ and Kobe comparisons. Kobe is not better than MJ. Not now, not ever. Get over it.

Dude, I'm not a Kobe fan. I'm an original-original Jordan fan. In fact, the reason I became such an Anti-LeBron Fan, as I'm well-known to be, is because of all the media's "he will be better than Michael Jordan talk,"....

It's just a subject to discuss. If you're not interested, avoid it. But, PLEASE don't put me in a box in which I don't belong.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #11
letsgolakers123
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science

someone will, it just the nature of sports. stop huggin mj's balls.
letsgolakers123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
cdbleb

If a players greatness were based on rings alone then Bill Russell would be the undisputed GOAT...But thats not the case.
cdbleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgolakers123
someone will, it just the nature of sports. stop huggin mj's balls.

I read your post, then I read your username. nuff said.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #14
Allstar24
NBA lottery pick

I'm so sick of these MJ talks.
Allstar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #15
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

See I'm a MJ fan. Always have been. Always will be. Now Jr., he's more of a Kobe fan. You should have seen him last night. I let him stay up late to watch the game and when the Lakers won he went 'boonshit. He told me "poppa, Kobe just as good as Jordan now!" I konked that little fu*ker right upside the noggin' and said "get to bed you little shithead!" he then ran off to bed in his nighties giggling. He knew it would piss poppa 'boon off.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: