Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #16
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Default Re: Need help buying a new computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-_-b
Be smart, go to walmart and get your dad the whole bundle for around 600-700.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=11038073
For 600 you get the whole bundle with a 20inch flatscreen
AMD Athlon Dual-Core Processor, 3GB system memory, and NVIDIA GeForce graphics deliver speed, power, and performance. SuperMulti DVD burner with LightScribe technology lets you create DVDs and CDs with custom labels on LightScribe-enabled discs.
AMD Athlon X2 4850e+ Dual-Core Processor delivers speed, power, and performance for your most demanding applications
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium edition with Service Pack 1
Get superb performance with 3GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM memory
500GB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive stores up to 105,000 songs or 85,000 photos
SuperMulti DVD burner with LightScribe technology lets you create DVDs and CDs with custom labels etched on the disc
NVidia GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with 128MB dedicated graphics memory
Front-panel 15-in-1 memory card reader makes it easy to tranfer digital photos and other files between your PC and peripheral devices

Awful, don't waste your money.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #17
rawimpact
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsic
A lot? Absolutely, false. Take a look at the mobo and processor you rec'd in this thread. The amd 9500 doesn't fit the needs of the op. Why are you looking at quad core based machines? Actually, the "lowest-grade" quad if you will. The mobo is extremely limited along with the BIOS (obviously, you've never owned a gateway)

The machine you suggested is very poor value.

Wow, i dont think i've ever read someone post something with no facts... Thanks!

BTW, i am on a gateway as we speak moron.

And instead of criticizing people that are trying to help, why not post a computer "worth something", instead of the useless trash you posted above.
rawimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #18
rawimpact
Banned

Quote:
This is the best answer. Buy a cheap tool kit, strap a spoon(or any metal object) to your wrist, and you're ready to go.

You really read the op right... anyone can tell the dude doesn't know much about a computer because he stated he wanted a computer that can play a dvd. Any computer can do this.... Also, i previously asked if he had the knowledge to assemble his own.

You stated a quad core isn't what the op needs, let me ask how do you know that?

He has given little information in regards to what this computer is going to be used for. So again, STFU unless you're going to be any help to the OP. You've provided NOTHING to him or her.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #19
intrinsic
Local High School Star

Quote:
Why tho, when he jsut needs a basic setup for his dad, why would he build a new system when he could for less money buy a bundle and save time. The most his dad is going to do is email, watch some movies and spank it to anorexicchickswithbigtits.com

The rig you posted isn't cheaper than what he could build for LESS money. In fact, considering the components of that machine, 600 is way way way too high of a price.

amd2 socket motherboard: 2x pcie16, 4gb max ddr2 ~ 50$
amd x2 processor - maybe 50$.
500gb hdd, sata300, 7200rpm - 50-75$
standard case, 3,5 bays(3), 5.25 bays(2) - 25$
gpu: worthless
ram: if you don't go mushkin, you'll get away under 50$ for 4gb.

This leaves 350-400$ to grab the gpu, os, and peripherals of preference(keyboard/mouse/monitor).

Time concerns? Really? For me it is a much greater hassle removing all of the garbage freeware than actually building the rig. Now, factor in the acquisition of knowledge, and the confidence to repair/upgrade components.

Note: If you're looking at online retailers, tigerdirect sucks. Newegg has the better pricing and return policy by far.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #20
rawimpact
Banned

Quote:
The rig you posted isn't cheaper than what he could build for LESS money. In fact, considering the components of that machine, 600 is way way way too high of a price.

This leaves 350-400$ to grab the gpu, os, and peripherals of preference(keyboard/mouse/monitor).

Time concerns? Really? For me it is a much greater hassle removing all of the garbage freeware than actually building the rig. Now, factor in the acquisition of knowledge, and the confidence to repair/upgrade components.

Note: If you're looking at online retailers, tigerdirect sucks. Newegg has the better pricing and return policy by far.

You're a ****ing retard... of course it's cheaper to build a computer, but not everyone can do it. If you want prebuilt name brand computers, prices are going to be higher.

Newegg is nice as well, but i've been using tigerdirect for a long time, no complaints.

Who's computer are you looking at? The one i posted is a x4 AMD (not like it's much higher in terms of price, but worth mentioning), it has 750GB HD, and 8GB ram... stop downgrading it. Also, LEGAL version of vista you fail to mention as well as a dvd burner and a PSU.

Last edited by rawimpact : 06-17-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #21
d-_-b
Look Of Dissaproval

Quote:

Factor in the time and labor costs too genius. Oppurtunity cost.
d-_-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #22
intrinsic
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawimpact
You really read the op right... anyone can tell the dude doesn't know much about a computer because he stated he wanted a computer that can play a dvd. Any computer can do this.... Also, i previously asked if he had the knowledge to assemble his own.

You stated a quad core isn't what the op needs, let me ask how do you know that?
Read the op. Cost is a major concern, but the computer will not be designated for intensive cpu tasks. Why on Earth would you suggest a quad core? If you have little to no understanding of cpu function, that's fine. There's no reason to become so defensive over it. He should be looking to spend more money on the gpu; that's where he will notice performance.

Quote:
He has given little information in regards to what this computer is going to be used for. So again, STFU unless you're going to be any help to the OP. You've provided NOTHING to him or her.

Why so angry?
Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #23
rawimpact
Banned

That dude is retarded man, no one is arguing the fact that building it is cheaper lol... he doesn't realise not everyone is capable of this.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #24
rawimpact
Banned

Quote:
Read the op. Cost is a major concern, but the computer will not be designated for intensive cpu tasks. Why on Earth would you suggest a quad core? If you have little to no understanding of cpu function, that's fine. There's no reason to become so defensive over it. He should be looking to spend more money on the gpu; that's where he will notice performance.

Why so angry?

The reason why i am giving a quad core is because it is able to multitask. I dont see a dad gaming but i could be wrong, OP has presented little to no information.

Cost is a major concern? I am still 50 dollars short of his range with a 24'' dell monitor....
Old 06-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #25
intrinsic
Local High School Star

Quote:
Factor in the time and labor costs too genius. Oppurtunity cost.
First build? Minimal components without a huge concern for the appearance of the wiring? I'd estimate 3-6 hours.
What are the labor costs? A tool kit for 10$? The motherboard, hdd, and psu will come with the necessary cables.

Your alternative is to head down to walmart for instant gratification. Of course, you pay for this convenience.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #26
intrinsic
Local High School Star

Quote:
The reason why i am giving a quad core is because it is able to multitask. I dont see a dad gaming but i could be wrong, OP has presented little to no information.

Cost is a major concern? I am still 50 dollars short of his range with a 24'' dell monitor....
Don't remember mentioning anything about the montior, but the name calling really solidifies your arguments. Well done.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #27
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Not only is building a computer yourself much cheaper, you could have the local computer shop guy build it for you, and it would still be cheaper than the in-store PC's you can buy. Win-win situation, you save money, and still don't have to do it yourself.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #28
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

Look here.
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #29
rawimpact
Banned

BTW, i'm not the only one who thinks greatly for tiger direct

Old 06-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #30
intrinsic
Local High School Star

Quote:
Dude you are stupid, just quit. No one is saying it's hard...

BTW, i'm not the only one who thinks greatly for tiger direct

That doesn't address my statement which was a direct comparison to the egg.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: