Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #31
d-_-b
Look Of Dissaproval

d-_-b has decent reputationd-_-b has decent reputation
Default Re: Need help buying a new computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsic
First build? Minimal components without a huge concern for the appearance of the wiring? I'd estimate 3-6 hours.
What are the labor costs? A tool kit for 10$? The motherboard, hdd, and psu will come with the necessary cables.

Your alternative is to head down to walmart for instant gratification. Of course, you pay for this convenience.
The point is that he is asking on ISH for help on buying a computer, if he knew how to build his own system he would'nt be asking, for you or me who have some prior knowledge, your option would be wiser but in his case buying a basic bundle is best for him because I doubt the dude would know where to start.
d-_-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #32
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-_-b
The point is that he is asking on ISH for help on buying a computer, if he knew how to build his own system he would'nt be asking, for you or me who have some prior knowledge, your option would be wiser but in his case buying a basic bundle is best for him because I doubt the dude would know where to start.

Bold is a good point, and I don't dispute this entirely. However, it was my objective here to encourage the OP to build his own computer(following the lead of ShannonElements). This task is not as intimidating as it seems to a novice user.

Maybe I give the average fella too much credit?
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #33
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsic
Bold is a good point, and I don't dispute this entirely. However, it was my objective here to encourage the OP to build his own computer(following the lead of ShannonElements). This task is not as intimidating as it seems to a novice user.

Maybe I give the average fella too much credit
?

Probably. What do most average computer users know about building one? They don't even know reliable manufacturers. They'd be hard pressed to even start researching what they want.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #34
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It was cheaper to build a cheaper computer in the past but if you know where to look you can get one prebuild and save a lot of money. I built my last 2 rigs but picked this up for 544 after CA tax.

Studio XPS Desktop - 435 Mini Tower
4 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (4 DIMMs)
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
500 GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM) 2nd Drive
19 in 1 Media Reader with Bluetooth
Processor: Intel Core i7-920 Processor (8MB L3 Cache, 1MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz)
Single Drive: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)
512MB ATI Radeon HD 4850

I like to see someone build that for cheaper. The bare mobo and CPU already runs you 400-450$
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #35
rawimpact
Banned

rawimpact is a pretty well-respected posterrawimpact is a pretty well-respected posterrawimpact is a pretty well-respected posterrawimpact is a pretty well-respected poster

oh man, nice rig. If you want to do that x-crossover (or whatever ati is calling it), another 4850 video card is on sale for 90 shipped

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=10009306

20 dollar rebate:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/rebate/gigabyte_0615_CO.pdf
rawimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #36
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

^ it's called crossfire, but I don't do much gaming on the PC. I also leave it it on 24/7 and don't want to waste so much electricity.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #37
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
3gigs of ram AND it needs to be able to play DVD's for $800?

Woa, slow down. You don't get a Bentley for the price of a Toyota.

you could get it cheaper actually
Meticode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #38
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Remix has decent reputation

Alright, so yeah I don't know that much about computers... Are acers any good?
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:14 PM   #39
YAWN
NBA All-star

YAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

mac mini for $500 then get the rest for a couple hundred.

Or just go to best buy, walmart, dell.com and order some crappy computer but that will probably do the job your dad wants it to do
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #40
rawimpact
Banned

rawimpact is a pretty well-respected posterrawimpact is a pretty well-respected posterrawimpact is a pretty well-respected posterrawimpact is a pretty well-respected poster

Dude that's a sick setup
rawimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:40 AM   #41
soadrules
Good High School Starter

soadrules has decent reputation

As a long time computer builder and a member of multiple computer-building websites, I'm going to have to go with Newegg on this one. I've never had problems with their customer service, and they will go out of their way to help you (give you warranties when your warranty is over if the company does not honor it, etc.). They will help you with rebates, and plus, many of the actual companies do lurk there and if you leave them a comment that you have with their product, they will answer you and help you along the way.

As far as computer goes: I like the quad core because it future proofs the computer. Obviously, the dual core is going to be cheaper (to an extent), but for what he's (probably) going to do, a low-end quad will be fine, hell, a mid-range dual core would probably be fine. However, if he was going to keep it for a long time, a lot more applications are starting to use more than two threads and will move slowly into 4-6 threaded applications making good use of his quad. Is it overkill for now? Yeah, it'd be overkill for most users, but if he ever needed to use it in the future, it's there.

As far as BIOS goes, either way, unless you build it yourself, most, if not all, manufacturers lock their BIOS so you cannot overclock unless you do something called a pin mod (Don't mess with that at all if you aren't experienced).
soadrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:43 AM   #42
soadrules
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
It was cheaper to build a cheaper computer in the past but if you know where to look you can get one prebuild and save a lot of money. I built my last 2 rigs but picked this up for 544 after CA tax.

Studio XPS Desktop - 435 Mini Tower
4 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (4 DIMMs)
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
500 GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM) 2nd Drive
19 in 1 Media Reader with Bluetooth
Processor: Intel Core i7-920 Processor (8MB L3 Cache, 1MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz)
Single Drive: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)
512MB ATI Radeon HD 4850

I like to see someone build that for cheaper. The bare mobo and CPU already runs you 400-450$

Sorry for the double post, but that is an amazing deal. i7 are the top - of the line CPu's right now (Latest and greatest from Intel), and for that cheap...hell...I don't even know what to say. I'd definitely go for that. It's overkill, but for the price, that's really good.

If you lurk over at www.slickdeals.net deals will sporadically pop up, and at their forums they have a coupons section for companies like Dell and HP where you can get 10-20% off coupons.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:45 AM   #43
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remix
Alright, so yeah I don't know that much about computers... Are acers any good?

No. They're crap. Most factory-bought computers are crap and overpriced. You need to find you someone to help you build a computer from scratch. You get so much more bang for you buck and save so much more money if you don't want that bang.

Are there any privately owned computer stores in your area? Usually they can help you build a computer and do it for you.
Meticode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #44
canadianballer
Banned

canadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

computers r all the same b just get n e one u think looks bomb
canadianballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:50 AM   #45
soadrules
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
No. They're crap. Most factory-bought computers are crap and overpriced. You need to find you someone to help you build a computer from scratch. You get so much more bang for you buck and save so much more money if you don't want that bang.

Are there any privately owned computer stores in your area? Usually they can help you build a computer and do it for you.

Well, that's not overly true. Like BigKingsFan said, if you look for the right deals, some amazing things will come along. Though you don't get the option of overclocking, I doubt his dad will take advantage of it, and it does require prior knowledge and time and patience - something I doubt his dad will want to sit around and do.

For the most part, yes, the prebuilt stuff won't really be that good, but for his dad? Come on.

Also, you guys also have to remember there's support. A lot of the reason people get Dells, HP's, etc. is for support purposes. Companies do it so they don't have to deal with someone fixing their computers when they can just send it off to Dell and get a new one in a few days. I think this is also the same for the common people. They don't want to spend their own time tinkering for something that's 'just supposed to work out of the box.' As far as companies go, Acer is fine. It's not 'Dell', or 'HP', but most of the time they aren't priced that high anyway. If you post the specs here I'm sure you'll get more than adequate feedback from the people.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: