Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 06-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Would you be opposed to someday having an AI statue at the Wachovia Center?

We have this one of Dr. J at the Spectrum...

I've always disliked that statue. Just seems like they did a ****ty job on it. Michael Jordan's statue in Chicago just kills it. And when they knock the Spectrum down where are they going to move this statue?

But anyway would anybody be opposed to someday having an Allen Iverson statue after his retirement? Tattoos and all? I think both of these pics would be great turned into statues....

Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Would you be opposed to someday having an AI statue at the Wachovia Center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Heck, if the statue is based on that pic I wouldn't mind Lue immortalized.

Seriously, Iverson probably deserves a statue when he retires. He was the franchise's best & most popular player for over a decade.

And yes, the statue would have to go with cornrows and tattoos, but without the spandex in the arm.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Would you be opposed to someday having an AI statue at the Wachovia Center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
Heck, if the statue is based on that pic I wouldn't mind Lue immortalized.

Seriously, Iverson probably deserves a statue when he retires. He was the franchise's best & most popular player for over a decade.

And yes, the statue would have to go with cornrows and tattoos, but without the spandex in the arm.
I say leave the headband off, best years were before it, you?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

SixersFan76 has an OK reputation so far

How many championships did he win for the city of Philadelphia? His number of statutes should = the number of championships he brought to Philly.
SixersFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
I say leave the headband off, best years were before it, you?
I would also leave the headband off, although I think he wore it sparingly even through his first seasons.

To be honest I can't remember when exactly the headband became a constant.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
Abraham Lincoln
Decent college freshman

Abraham Lincoln is considered somewhat coolAbraham Lincoln is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
I would also leave the headband off, although I think he wore it sparingly even through his first seasons.

To be honest I can't remember when exactly the headband became a constant.

Sometime in the 2001-02 season, after the Finals defeat.
Abraham Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixersFan76
How many championships did he win for the city of Philadelphia? His number of statutes should = the number of championships he brought to Philly.
So do you disagree with this?

I wouldn't be shocked if Reggie Miller got a statue too.

Last edited by Posterize246 : 06-18-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

Are you honestly comparing Iverson's contributions to Philadelphia with those Karl Malone and John Stockton made to Salt Lake, both on the court and in the community? Remind me, how many times did Malone and Stockton get accused of skipping practice, getting arrested, getting coaches fired, making their teammates worse, etc.? They do anything for the community other than get arrested, pack heat, hang with a posse of criminals, get pulled over with drugs and guns?

There are any number of guys who played for the Sixers who would deserve a statute before AI. What a joke. Give me a break. Wilt. Moses. Barkley. Sixers missed the playoffs more than they made it with Iverson at the helm. Went to the finals once. Never made it past the second round outside 2001. The guy was a poor member of the community and a nightmare for the coaches. He is the quintessential underperformer. Stockton and Malone squeezed every ounce out of their talent. They were mid-round picks. What did Iverson do other than disappoint for all but one year? Iverson was always about Iverson. You are comparing him with winners like Miller, Malone and Stockton (even if they never won titles)?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Your original point was that the number of statues should represent how many titles brought. So I guess your answer is a no?

And Wilt is the only guy you mentioned I would put a statue up of before Iverson.

I'd like to know how you feel about us having a statue of a fictional character
Old 06-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

Actually, my original point was nothing of the sort. It was specific to Iverson - hence I said that "his number of statues" not a player's number of statues. There is no argument that some guys in some cities have accomplished so much for their franchises that they become the franchise. Yet LA will never build a statute to Kobe Bryant, in spite of his 4 championships. He doesn't define the Lakers. Stockton and Malone are the Jazz. Magic and Kareem are the Lakers. Jordan is the Bulls. Iverson is not the Sixers.

You don't put up statues of players unless those players represent the franchise. Iverson doesn't represent the Sixers. Thankfully, far from it. Dr. J does. Wilt arguably does and he's a Philly guy, Overbrook highschool and all, so he has that going for him.

Athletes rarely deserve statues. They should be representatives of not only the franchise, but the city and the community to get that honor. Iverson never was. If anything, he gave us a black eye and was a terrible role model for the kids. Popularity and points might warrant a retired number, but not a statue.

As for Rocky, he's done more for the city of Philadelphia, fictional as he might be, than Iverson could ever dream of, so he gets to stay, along with all the tourist dollars he brings in.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixersFan76
Actually, my original point was nothing of the sort. It was specific to Iverson - hence I said that "his number of statues" not a player's number of statues. There is no argument that some guys in some cities have accomplished so much for their franchises that they become the franchise. Yet LA will never build a statute to Kobe Bryant, in spite of his 4 championships. He doesn't define the Lakers. Stockton and Malone are the Jazz. Magic and Kareem are the Lakers. Jordan is the Bulls. Iverson is not the Sixers.

You don't put up statues of players unless those players represent the franchise. Iverson doesn't represent the Sixers. Thankfully, far from it. Dr. J does. Wilt arguably does and he's a Philly guy, Overbrook highschool and all, so he has that going for him.

Athletes rarely deserve statues. They should be representatives of not only the franchise, but the city and the community to get that honor. Iverson never was. If anything, he gave us a black eye and was a terrible role model for the kids. Popularity and points might warrant a retired number, but not a statue.

As for Rocky, he's done more for the city of Philadelphia, fictional as he might be, than Iverson could ever dream of, so he gets to stay, along with all the tourist dollars he brings in.
Better reasons. Repped for that. Still can't say that I, personally, would be opposed to it. Iverson is not the Sixers you're right. But he was the Sixers for a whole decade. It doesn't bother me either way but I see your point, very well put.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

No questio in my mind his number will be retired one day and that he should go into the hall of fame and hopefully, will go in as a Sixer.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: