Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 06-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Luigi has decent reputationLuigi has decent reputation
Default 2009 Draft

I saw a Tyler Hansborough prediction for our 20th pick. Not bad.

So do we own both our 1st and 2nd round 20ths?
Plus, with NY's pick on the way next year, should we be thinking of moving up, or trading away this year's picks?
Luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: 2009 Draft

Depends on the deal that comes along. I'm neither for or against trading picks. I probably wouldn't worry about trading up in this draft, but if they can get a piece and they have to give up a #1 for it, then i'd do it.

What does everyone think of B.J. Mullens? I doubt he'd drop to 20, but I have seen him around that area in some mock drafts.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way

How does Hansborough make any sense though? Even if Okur, Boozer and Milsap all leave which is highly unlikey you still have AK and Koufos at the 4. They have bigger needs. Upgrades at combo guard and center would seem to be their biggest needs and with a center in Europe and Fesenko's option picked up combo guard should be the top concern. Jeff Teague sounds like he might fit the bill best and possibly be available when they pick.

I'm all for trading picks too. Probably more teams looking to trade picks than trade for them though with teams looking to save money for next summer. Might be able to move up.
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
lowblok
High School Varsity 6th Man

lowblok has an OK reputation so far

Also next year might be the best time to draft a power forward out of Nth Carolina.
lowblok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
Yung D-Will
Utah Jazz (6-6)

Yung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation here

If we're going big we can always pick up Thorton/Kamen/Camby. The Clippers are stacked with big men. Honestly There are alot more problems this team needs to address.
Yung D-Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:03 AM   #6
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Thornton is a swing man and I doubt he's available.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Drafting Hansborough makes sense if we are parting with Boozer. He's a big with a work ethic and would back up the rotation nicely if called upon. We have young 2/3s, good drafts that improve with time. The backup point position isn't going to be immediately helped with a draft pick. I don't know of any great centers to go for.

If its going to be Millsap and Okur, there is room for Hansborough next to Koufos and Fesenko. Makes sense by position, makes sense for team fit, and makes sense for talent at that point in the draft. Who do you like more?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
lowblok
High School Varsity 6th Man

lowblok has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi
Drafting Hansborough makes sense if we are parting with Boozer. He's a big with a work ethic and would back up the rotation nicely if called upon. We have young 2/3s, good drafts that improve with time. The backup point position isn't going to be immediately helped with a draft pick. I don't know of any great centers to go for.

If its going to be Millsap and Okur, there is room for Hansborough next to Koufos and Fesenko. Makes sense by position, makes sense for team fit, and makes sense for talent at that point in the draft. Who do you like more?

Will it make sense to the coach?
lowblok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #9
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowblok
Will it make sense to the coach?

With hustle like his, I don't see how it can't.

The problem is, he won't be available for the 20th pick.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:49 AM   #10
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi
With hustle like his, I don't see how it can't.

The problem is, he won't be available for the 20th pick.
I've read that the Jazz are "enamored" with Sam Young. He should be around the 20 mark although i've also seen the Bulls being interested in him at 16.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

According to Chad Ford:

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Utah

Tyler Hansbrough
Position: PF
Height: 6-10
Weight: 234
School: North Carolina
Confidence level: 85 percent

Analysis: The Jazz and Hansbrough seem like a match made in heaven. If Hansbrough falls this far (he's getting a look at 11, 13, 16 and 19), I don't see them passing on him. With Carlos Boozer heading out the door, they need more toughness in the paint. But if he's off the board, they likely will be deciding among Young and Toney Douglas.

Young is the type of tough veteran the Jazz love. He is ready to step in and play right now, and would give them minutes at both the 2 and the 3.

Douglas is the type of combo guard the Jazz currently lack. He shoots, plays defense and could be a credible backup at both positions for Utah.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:46 AM   #12
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Drafting Hansborough makes sense if we are parting with Boozer.

With or without Boozer it's their deepest position. Makes little sense as do the two picks they made other than preparing for Deron's departure in 3 years which is what's going to happen if they don't put talent around him. He's not going to stay for money like Karl or out of loyalty like Stockton.

Quote:
We have young 2/3s

And young 4's.

Quote:
Who do you like more?

A combo guard and a center. The 2 positions they most need an upgrade at.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:49 AM   #13
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
With or without Boozer it's [the 4] their deepest position.
No its not. The 2 and 3 are deeper (Brewer, Korver, AK, Harpring, Miles).

At the four we have a possible Boozer, and Millsap. Maybe Koufos if he isn't playing 5 or for the Flash.

Quote:
And young 4's.
Millsap will get his minutes. Brewer and Miles shouldn't be sacrificing minutes for yet another rookie. It took a few drafts to find those two talented swingmen, and that is the talent we should be developing into 24+ mpg guys.

Quote:
A combo guard and a center.
I asked who...not what.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:29 AM   #14
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

beasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected poster

I think Eric Maynor was a sleeper in this draft. I really wanted the Heat to trade up to try and get him. He's a solid passer, has 3PT range, and a solid defender.

It's a shame Sloan is from the old school, and isn't big on giving rookies minutes. Hopefully the Jazz don't re-sign Knight or Brewer and he's forced to give him a chance.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:40 AM   #15
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
I think Eric Maynor was a sleeper in this draft. I really wanted the Heat to trade up to try and get him. He's a solid passer, has 3PT range, and a solid defender.

It's a shame Sloan is from the old school, and isn't big on giving rookies minutes. Hopefully the Jazz don't re-sign Knight or Brewer and he's forced to give him a chance.
Brewer? Do you mean Ronnie Price? I'd be very pissed if they let Brewer walk.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: