Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Energy guys

Why is it the league is so void of high energy players? Im' not talking about the big names or broderline all stars, I"m talking about bench players that don't have great skills but just through effort they shine.

Chris Andersen is one of those guys, comes off the bench and gives max effort everytime. Scola, Rodman, Madsen and Rambis to name a few.

It's the one thing even mediocre players can do to make an impact, just hustle flat out for the 15 minutes you're on the floor and even a subpar player can make an impact on some level. I'm not saying that the guys listed above are subpar, but they all make or made themselves much better than they really are just by playing hard.

So why is it there are so few of these guys in the game? There were over 450 players in the NBA this season yet we can probably count on 10 fingers max the role players that give 100% and make the most of their time on the floor. It's such an easy concept yet applied so rarely.
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Energy guys

Turiaf, Reggie Evans, Battier, Prince, Matt Harpring, Sasha are a couple of guys that come to mind who give it 100% when out there.

But yea, I am a bit perplexed too. If you have some talent and are a 100% energy type of guy, there is no reason a team wouldn't at least want you on the roster. But I do think that you can't really learn to be high energy or give it your all on every possession. You either are that type of player or you are not. Many of these guys, even the scrubs, coasted through their young lives relying heavily on their natural given talent. Many of them were probably never forced to exert so much effort and never developed that killer instinct.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I personally think that showing energy is very underated.. because the NBA game is already a competitive intensive game.. so to step it up above others.. it really shows inner desire.

I think the reason why you see very few of these types, is because I think its something that has to be in you, not really something you can readily learn.

Take Mark 'Mad Dog' Madsen for example.. the high energy is in him, just look up his parade dancing on youtube.... you cant teach that stuff..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
cotdt
Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan

cotdt has not been impressing people

Sasha seems to play with all his energy yet he doesn't seem to be very effective.
cotdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt
Sasha seems to play with all his energy yet he doesn't seem to be very effective.

Presently its true.. however he has been able to do in the past.. Last season he was very effective while displaying a bountiful amount of energy.

However he have often learned that Contract Season = High Energy Effectiveness
Old 06-18-2009, 11:45 PM   #6
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Presently its true.. however he has been able to do in the past.. Last season he was very effective while displaying a bountiful amount of energy.

However he have often learned that Contract Season = High Energy Effectiveness

I don't really like when people bring up how sasha was effective in his contract year. He still brings a lot of energy, but his shot is not dropping. You dont make your 3's just because you are trying to get a contract. You either make your shots or you dont, money doesnt change that
Old 06-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #7
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
I don't really like when people bring up how sasha was effective in his contract year. He still brings a lot of energy, but his shot is not dropping. You dont make your 3's just because you are trying to get a contract. You either make your shots or you dont, money doesnt change that

Sasha has only had one good season, and it came in a year where he was up for a contract. In previous years he was a husstle player, who while giving energy.. would shoot poorly. Thus the name 11 O' Clock Player.

He has returned to the habits he had before his stellar shooting. Do you suppose that it is just a coincidence??
Old 06-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #8
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Sasha has only had one good season, and it came in a year where he was up for a contract. In previous years he was a husstle player, who while giving energy.. would shoot poorly. Thus the name 11 O' Clock Player.

He has returned to the habits he had before his stellar shooting. Do you suppose that it is just a coincidence??

I just dont think you can hit a switch and turn on your jumper. Yes you can turn up the energy, but you cannot do that with your shot. You cant just decide to make your shots in your contract year. You can step up in other ways though
Old 06-19-2009, 12:09 AM   #9
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

Quote:
I just dont think you can hit a switch and turn on your jumper. Yes you can turn up the energy, but you cannot do that with your shot. You cant just decide to make your shots in your contract year. You can step up in other ways though

But I do believe that it speaks alot about focus.. There is something connecting salary up'ing seasons, with scoring..

Walton also in his contract season was shooting the best 3 point shot percentage in the league, for a major portion of that season. (I believe until his ankle got injured).

Now I am equally puzzled over not being able to 'turn on' your shot, and concede that you are likely correct. Yet looking at many, many players in the league in that are in contract seasons.. offensively it seems that the focus is turned up to a different level. There is some type of correlation between the two.

I dont speak only of Sasha in this estimation, I see it in many players, outside of Lakerland.

Last edited by ZeN : 06-19-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:19 AM   #10
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
But I do believe that it speaks alot about focus.. There is something connecting salary up'ing seasons, with scoring..

Walton also in his contract season was shooting the best 3 point shot percentage in the league, for a major portion of that season. (I believe until his ankle got injured).

Now I am equally puzzled over not being able to 'turn on' your shot, and concede that you are likely correct. Yet looking at many, many players in the league in that are in contract seasons.. offensively it seems that the focus is turned up to a different level. There is some type of correlation between the two.

I dont speak only of Sasha in this estimation, I see it in many players, outside of Lakerland.

I see where you are coming from. I've noticed this too. Luke to me is a huge confidence guy. His jumper was rolling during that stint a few years back and he was our starter. There was no one who was going to take it away. Now when you get limited minutes, you have to walk on egg shells. Not to mention he has been in and out of the lineup ever since he got his contract due to injuries. Hard to get a rhytm but his jumper looks god awful at times.

I guess its just difficult for me to grasp that you can turn on your long ball shot when contracts come up. But I certainly agree this happens around the league. Just look at my username. The KING of contract years. But we all know he is at least capable of shooting.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:25 AM   #11
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

Quote:
I see where you are coming from. I've noticed this too. Luke to me is a huge confidence guy. His jumper was rolling during that stint a few years back and he was our starter. There was no one who was going to take it away. Now when you get limited minutes, you have to walk on egg shells. Not to mention he has been in and out of the lineup ever since he got his contract due to injuries. Hard to get a rhytm but his jumper looks god awful at times.

I guess its just difficult for me to grasp that you can turn on your long ball shot when contracts come up. But I certainly agree this happens around the league. Just look at my username. The KING of contract years. But we all know he is at least capable of shooting.

I think you bring up an excellent point when speaking about playing time. If there is one constant about these players being focused, its that they were able to do it, while receiving a good amount of playing time. Luke was starting and Sasha was even spending some time at the point position...

and when it comes to Timmy.. I cant tell you how happy I was to see him leave the clipps, because he frustrated the hell out of me..
Old 06-19-2009, 05:48 AM   #12
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Basketball is all mental.

If you go in with confidence, you will shoot expecting them to go in, and they will go in.

Sasha probably felt pressure after signing the pretty big contract. However I expect him to be completely normal next year. Normal being that he knocks down most of his shots and we'll forget about last season.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:04 AM   #13
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

LA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

No, money don't change a player Shot but, it does change their foscus on the shot. Sasha, is out of control and overrated in this forum....
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #14
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

LA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Basketball is all mental.

If you go in with confidence, you will shoot expecting them to go in, and they will go in.

Sasha probably felt pressure after signing the pretty big contract. However I expect him to be completely normal next year. Normal being that he knocks down most of his shots and we'll forget about last season.

I'm not sure about that Lakerfreak he went all season cold on offense. I'm sure he will be back next year because lakers won't be able to move him after this season proformance. So, I hope you are right on with Sasha...If it was up to me his A$$ would be ship out in so kind of packets deal....
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #15
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA.MJ&KB#1
I'm not sure about that Lakerfreak he went all season cold on offense. I'm sure he will be back next year because lakers won't be able to move him after this season proformance. So, I hope you are right on with Sasha...If it was up to me his A$$ would be ship out in so kind of packets deal....

Its the same story with Kwame Brown.

I don't know if you remember how terrible he was when he first arrived, because lakers had signed him to a huge deal and he was expected to play like a young and healthy Jermaine O'Neal.

After stinking it up, Phil told him "look, don't worry about offense because that will come, what you can do to help us, is play defense and get some rebounds". After that happened, Kwame Brown started averaging 15 points and 10 rebounds after the all-star break and we almost upset the phoenix suns because of how well Kwame was playing.

So why did Kwame go back to playing bad after that? Because he was not ready to endure the higher expectations. So once again he went back to trying to score and be Jermaine O'Neal all over again.

The problem is Sasha knows his role is to be a shooter on this team. What he thinks is he has to keep shootin and making everytime he gets the ball. He will have a defender in his grill and still shoot it.

If he relaxes, and lets the open shots come to him, he will be absolutely phenomenal like in his contract year.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: