Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-19-2009, 01:06 AM   #16
YAWN
NBA All-star

YAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: So i just saw Gran Torino....

it was really good.
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:50 AM   #17
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

ConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Awesome movie. I love Clint Eastwood and this one did not disappoint. I saw it at the show and bought it on DVD last saturday.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:53 AM   #18
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Obviously, those Asian kids weren't good actors. Clint wanted to use real people so he casted regular folks and not necessarily actors. That movie was their first for those Korean kids.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:31 AM   #19
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

yep great movie. Very well done. I didn't mind the Asian kids' acting too much. The film as a whole made up for any little flaws it had.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:22 AM   #20
takeittothehoop
ISH Lurker

takeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation here

If I remember correctly I didn't like it all that much. It's a pretty uneventful movie..Eastwood is pretty funny though
takeittothehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:48 AM   #21
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Lamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

man, i didn't hate it but 10/10 is nutso. the bad acting has been well documented. there were some corny setups, clint rolls up on group of guys harassing the couple was karate kid-esque. f*cking banana peels in the clown's path. "He's a bigot but he's got a big heart and he's learning..." after school special themed poopla. you know, whatever, i like popcorn sh*t too but 10/10?
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #22
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation here

As someone that lives in Detroit, let me just say the ending was total bull****, no way would the police have showed up and arrested the entire gang so conveniently.

Get real. This movie has gotten so overrated its ridiculous. Its decent and will probably make quite a few people cry that didn't want or expect to, but its simply not a believable story.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #23
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastystaci
Agreed. Not to be racist, but all of the oriental actors in this film were horrible. And the dialogue was awful. 7/10 for me, and that's coming from a huge Clint fan.
Basically what I thought of it. A fairly mediocre Clint movie, meaning it was still better than 98% of everything else released that year.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #24
Moose

Watch it last week, though it was alright. The acting outside of Clint were awful.

I'd give it a 7.5/10.

"Get off my lawn" ---- loved that part
Old 06-19-2009, 12:47 PM   #25
depletedW
I Rep Mavs

depletedW has decent reputation

I liked it, but it wasn't a 10.

The acting outside of Clint sucked, I believe it's because Clint wanted people who weren't actors to make it more realistic/save a little $.

Very cheesy at times, like rolling up on thugs left and right with his old ass. The whole grumpy, racist old man suddenly making a magical transformation almost overnight is so corny. And the dialogue at times was like listening to nails on a chalkboard.

Last edited by depletedW : 06-19-2009 at 12:49 PM.
depletedW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #26
Big Al All day
lol lmao wtf? : |

Big Al All day has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
don't see how it was horrible acting... calm down SNOBS
Clint was awesome, and Toad and his sister were pretty decent. But those asian gangstas were ****ing horrible.

And the scene where Toad gets locked in the basement is pretty bad.
Big Al All day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #27
Clifton
talk less, say more

Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool

It was basically Unforgiven, only a little less good in every aspect, except the aspects of acting and screenwriting, which were drastically less good.

It was, however, an hilarious gift to Clint fans. The racial invectives he hurles throughout were enough to put it somewhere on my top 30 list.

It had some hints of greatness, like the end when he locks the kid in the basement and the screen he uses to lock him in there looks like the screen in a confessional. But overall? Come on, the movie was great if Snakes on a Plane was a fine film. GT was Snakes on a Plane plus Unforgiven, with the same aspirations and failures as Crash.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #28
twolvesfan
Banned

twolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
As someone that lives in Detroit, let me just say the ending was total bull****, no way would the police have showed up and arrested the entire gang so conveniently.

Get real. This movie has gotten so overrated its ridiculous. Its decent and will probably make quite a few people cry that didn't want or expect to, but its simply not a believable story.
good thing this movie wasnt set in detroit
twolvesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #29
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

yeah it was good, indulgent clint eastwood fare, i enjoyed it greatly. i would however like to know exactly how he managed to find two actors that bad. he must have scowered the entire globe. they may have been first timers but still we are talking about 1 and 2 on the list of all time worst performances. those 2 actually made paris hilton look competent.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #30
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

great flick. it's about as realistic as D.harry or one of his cowboy movies. 8/10

c.eastwood is talented, man. d.hoffman once said that eastwood used to make directors quit a couple weeks into shooting. then he'd take over and direct the rest of the movie. dude is a prick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
the ending was total bull****, no way would the police have showed up and arrested the entire gang so conveniently.

Get real.

maybe. but they opened up on him at the same time. w/a whole bunch of witnesses.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: