Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #1366
LJJ
Extra Cheese
 
LJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 16,366
Default Re: OT: What are you listening to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Nice one. I can't escape Kind of Blue. It has been on heavy rotation for me... for over a decade (not exaggerating). I think it is the greatest album ever created, any genre. I know every note by heart... Even transcribed some of it onto my acoustic.

I know what that's like. I listened to one record every day for a year. That can't be normal.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #1367
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 22,916
Default Re: OT: What are you listening to?

I hardly ever listen to 80s music but I listened to Husker Du for a whole night after watching Less Than Zero a couple weeks ago.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #1368
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,548
Default Re: OT: What are you listening to?

one of my favorite 80's songs at the moment, check it out jail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sx-CAsiw8c

and yes it was on the awesome adventureland soundtrack
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #1369
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 30,143
Default Re: OT: What are you listening to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
i mentioned this the other day in a music thread, but i am REALLY getting into the 80's lately

for example, i'm getting into INXS, listened to their first album, it had 3-4 REALLY good songs that would be in my permanent rotation

the 80's gets a bad rap me thinks, it's chock full of great hooks and melodies, the "one hit wonders" were the best of all time IMO
The 80s definitely gets a bad rap... Probably due to the fashion of the time and the androgynous nature of a lot of the popular bands. But, yeah... Some killer pop tunes were made in the 1980s.

INXS is one of those bands that was actually highly popular and really respected by much of the underground scene. They were a great band.

Then, if you are more into the folk thing, you had Springsteen doing some great stuff in the 80s.

For prog rock, Dream Theatre was pretty much killing it...

Metallica's best stuff was happening in the 80s...

Duran Duran is another one of those good bands that gets lumped in with a lot of mediocre 80s stuff.

Then, you had Prince...

And, the band that I would nominate as the probably the 'best' 80s band... The Police. Those guys in their primes were making some of the best pop music of all-time. Very heavily influence by reggae and just nasty rhythms in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-dNVXwhkns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbv-L...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXzFCS72QIA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jSl-...eature=related

Killer.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #1370
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 22,916
Default Re: OT: What are you listening to?

I never lump Prince in to the mix when I think "80s music" for some reason. I actually do listen a quite a bit just because of him. Prince is just .

Oh and The Police are also worthy of a few bows. Regatta de Blanc is one of my favorite albums from any group.

That INXS song is nice pete. I need to look into their stuff more and watch Adventureland again. I only saw it in theaters when it first came out and I was so high that I thought I was watching the previews for the first half hour of the movie.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #1371
Maniak
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 25,096
Default Re: OT: What are you listening to?

Quote:
And, the band that I would nominate as the probably the 'best' 80s band... The Police. Those guys in their primes were making some of the best pop music of all-time. Very heavily influence by reggae and just nasty rhythms in general.

Yeah. I love the Police. need to redownload their stuff soon. I really prefer them over the Beatles
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #1372
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,548
Default Re: OT: What are you listening to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
The 80s definitely gets a bad rap... Probably due to the fashion of the time and the androgynous nature of a lot of the popular bands. But, yeah... Some killer pop tunes were made in the 1980s.

INXS is one of those bands that was actually highly popular and really respected by much of the underground scene. They were a great band.

Then, if you are more into the folk thing, you had Springsteen doing some great stuff in the 80s.

For prog rock, Dream Theatre was pretty much killing it...

Metallica's best stuff was happening in the 80s...

Duran Duran is another one of those good bands that gets lumped in with a lot of mediocre 80s stuff.

Then, you had Prince...

And, the band that I would nominate as the probably the 'best' 80s band... The Police. Those guys in their primes were making some of the best pop music of all-time. Very heavily influence by reggae and just nasty rhythms in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-dNVXwhkns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbv-L...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXzFCS72QIA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jSl-...eature=related

Killer.

I completely agree in every sense. There was a lot of great music that people forget about. Even the rock bands that were releasing stuff tend to get overlooked, like they didn't release shit in the supposed worst era for music. Van Halen? ACDC? Not to mention 90% of the grunge era released awesome stuff in the 80's.

I mean really, both of us could go all night on the greatness that is the 1980's!

@jail, my favorite movie of that year i think, one of the best soundtracks in recent memory, is also has some husker du
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #1373
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 22,916
Default Re: OT: What are you listening to?

It's even more shameful that I remember nothing about that movie because I've been to the places they filmed it at dozens of times. A lot of my friends didn't like it but they all suck and have horrible taste in almost everything lol.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #1374
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,548
Default Re: OT: What are you listening to?

forgot to address the police

just look at their five album run, do they have a bad song? i cant think of one

every album is quality from top to bottom, not a filler song to be found

when i listen to them, i start from the beginning and listen to every album until im finished

i do that sometimes because copelands drumming is just f*cking breathtaking

just brilliant stuff he does
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #1375
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,548
Default Re: OT: What are you listening to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
It's even more shameful that I remember nothing about that movie because I've been to the places they filmed it at dozens of times. A lot of my friends didn't like it but they all suck and have horrible taste in almost everything lol.

oh really? i dont even know where it was filmed, never thought to look that up

must be the pit area then im assuming
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #1376
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 22,916
Default Re: OT: What are you listening to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
oh really? i dont even know where it was filmed, never thought to look that up

must be the pit area then im assuming

Kennywood Park was the theme park it was filmed at and the rest was around Pittsburgh.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #1377
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,548
Default Re: OT: What are you listening to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Kennywood Park was the theme park it was filmed at and the rest was around Pittsburgh.

hey well Pittsburgh has got that going for it!





whats a guy to do? cmon that was a softball
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #1378
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence
 
Cowboy Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ...smells good man
Posts: 4,034
Default Re: OT: What are you listening to?

80s ftw
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #1379
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 30,143
Default Re: OT: What are you listening to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
forgot to address the police

just look at their five album run, do they have a bad song? i cant think of one

every album is quality from top to bottom, not a filler song to be found

when i listen to them, i start from the beginning and listen to every album until im finished

i do that sometimes because copelands drumming is just f*cking breathtaking

just brilliant stuff he does
Maybe the most amazing thing about The Police was... They were a f#cking 3-PIECE BAND.

All of that incredible music that is so dense and perfect, created by a 3-piece.

Copeland is a beast, obviously. He is one of the most talented and skilled rock drummers to ever live. Then, you have the highly underrated Gary Summers holding everything together. When I saw them live a couple of years ago, I was most struck by Summers' ability to keep the music moving while Copeland and Sting did their things.

Sting is insanely talented as the leader of the band. Bass players that are also lead singers are very, very rare. The reason is because it is damn difficult to play intricate bass lines and sing at the same time. Now, throw in the fact that Sting had some of the nastiest bass lines AND one of the most powerful voices of the era? Masterful.

Truly one of my favorite bands of all-time.

Hey, speaking of bass player/lead singers, how about Thin Lizzy? The majority of their material was released in the 70s, but they still had some classic stuff left in them for the 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1K539_fdUg

Let's face it... The 80s f#cking rocked.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #1380
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 13,702
Default Re: OT: What are you listening to?

Gift Raps - Chip Tha Ripper

dece

The Road to C4 - Weezy

ehhh
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy