Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
unbreakable
National High School Star

unbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryunbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Will Illinois ever be good again?

Ever since they had their breakout year with Deron Williams at the helm this team has virtually disappeared. I dont know if its because the cold weather in Illinois, the weak fanbase, or the campus support, but this team is cold as ice.

Im curious what do yall think this team should do to become a respectable program again? Also do you think maybe they should move down to Division 1-AA to become more respected?
Old 06-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Will Illinois ever be good again?

I'm going with 6 months. Illinois is a Sweet 16 team this season, with Elite Eight potential depending on matchups.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Last sentence makes this an obvious troll thread and should be deleted. Not to mention they were in the top 25 a good part of this past season.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would delete it but I'll give TheGame the chance to make this guy look like a fool and then delete it himself.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

This guy has done this before. Sometimes there's no need to run down the stupid and ignorant; it can be better to let them hang themselves with their own words.

I especially like the "weak fanbase" part, considering that Forbes has consistently ranked Illinois in the Top 10 most valuable basketball programs even as we've slipped a bit the last few years.

I would like to give the troll a couple tips, though:

1. At least try to be funny. The couple efforts you've made are just dumb.

2. It isn't going to get under peoples' skin if you just make yourself sound like an idiot. Since when has cold weather hurt a basketball team? And since when did Illinois have weak fan support? And isn't it sort of silly to question if a program on the rise, with potentially three consecutive terrific recruiting classes lined up, is ever going to be good again? If you can't come up with any sort of decent answers to these questions, you need to ask more realistic questions.

There are things you could have asked to piss off an Illinois fan. I'm not going to help you with that, because that's your job as a troll. So far, you're doing a piss-poor job of it.

Last edited by TheGame414 : 06-20-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

But I guess more than anything else, I'm curious as to when college basketball had a Division I-AA.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
lbjdrosehybrid
Can barely lace up my sneakers

lbjdrosehybrid has an OK reputation so far

illinois will be great in 2-3 years, with the likes of crandall head and jereme richmond coming to play
Old 06-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
lbjdrosehybrid
Can barely lace up my sneakers

lbjdrosehybrid has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbreakable
Ever since they had their breakout year with Deron Williams at the helm this team has virtually disappeared. I dont know if its because the cold weather in Illinois, the weak fanbase, or the campus support, but this team is cold as ice.

Im curious what do yall think this team should do to become a respectable program again? Also do you think maybe they should move down to Division 1-AA to become more respected?
Also, move to 1-AA?, that might be the most stupid idea ever
Old 06-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjdrosehybrid
Also, move to 1-AA?, that might be the most stupid idea ever
Especially considering, like I said, that there's no such thing.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
Especially considering, like I said, that there's no such thing.

I'd just retire if I was you.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Illinois may be good, but being good in the Big 10 doesnt really matter outside of Michigan State and Purdue most of the other teams are only good against each other.

The Big 10 is the most boring brand of basketball I've ever seen.

Illinois has some good recruiting classes coming in this year and in 2010, but their immediate development will show how good or how bad of a coach Weber is.

McCamey and Davis are pretty good though so we'll see what happens next season with the freshmen mixing into the lineup.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #12
lukeridnour08
Decent playground baller

lukeridnour08 has decent reputation

Illinois aint to week and they will always compete for a spot in the tourny.
As far as final 4???
could take years.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:52 AM   #13
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Illinois may be good, but being good in the Big 10 doesnt really matter outside of Michigan State and Purdue most of the other teams are only good against each other.

The Big 10 is the most boring brand of basketball I've ever seen.

Illinois has some good recruiting classes coming in this year and in 2010, but their immediate development will show how good or how bad of a coach Weber is.

McCamey and Davis are pretty good though so we'll see what happens next season with the freshmen mixing into the lineup.
Was the Big Ten boring when Illinois and Michigan State were in the Final Four and were arguably two of the three most entertaining teams in the country in 2005?

People get so shortsighted with this stuff. The talent level in the Big Ten has been a little down, so the pace of play has been slower in recent years. That doesn't render the conference irrelevant. And it certainly won't last long the way most of the teams in the conference have recruited.

As far as Bruce Weber goes, I think Weber's proven for the last 12 years, dating back to his time at SIU, that he's a fantastic basketball coach. The questions with him have been recruiting, which has certainly been answered, and whether he was generally in over his head in terms of coaching a program that aims to compete for national championships. Personally, I never agreed with that one. I mean, we were in the national title game in his second year here.

The only question about him doing that (going to the title game, that is) was whether or not he could do it with his guys, which goes back to the recruiting question. And, again, I think that one's been answered.

Last edited by TheGame414 : 06-21-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #14
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeridnour08
Illinois aint to week and they will always compete for a spot in the tourny.
As far as final 4???
could take years.
Considering we've been in the tournament in 11 of the last 13 years and have been a No. 5 seed or higher nine of those times, I'd say we've been doing more than just competing for tourney spots.

You're right about the Final Four, but then again you can say that about almost every school in the nation. In 2010-2011, barring something unforseen, we're gonna have a championship-caliber team:

PG- McCamey (Sr.)/Jordan (Sr.)
SG- Richardson (So.)/Paul (So.)/Head (Fr.)
SF- Richmond (Fr.)/Legion (Sr.)
PF- Davis (Sr.)/Griffey (So.)
C- Tisdale (Sr.)/Leonard (Fr.)/Simpson (r-So.)

You're right, it could take years, but even if, say, Mike Davis or Demetri McCamey went pro early, that's a Final Four-contending club.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #15
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
Considering we've been in the tournament in 11 of the last 13 years and have been a No. 5 seed or higher nine of those times, I'd say we've been doing more than just competing for tourney spots.

You're right about the Final Four, but then again you can say that about almost every school in the nation. In 2010-2011, barring something unforseen, we're gonna have a championship-caliber team:

PG- McCamey (Sr.)/Jordan (Sr.)
SG- Richardson (So.)/Paul (So.)/Head (Fr.)
SF- Richmond (Fr.)/Legion (Sr.)
PF- Davis (Sr.)/Griffey (So.)
C- Tisdale (Sr.)/Leonard (Fr.)/Simpson (r-So.)

You're right, it could take years, but even if, say, Mike Davis or Demetri McCamey went pro early, that's a Final Four-contending club.
Thats only if the talent develops, you can't just point to a recruiting class where you're bringing in the #14 ranked SG, #23 ranked SG, #31 ranked PF, and #48 ranked SG and then expect each to provide enough of an impact for Illinois to be a Championship-caliber team in 2 seasons.

They'll once again be a veteran team, but to suspect that a veteran team will then become a Championship-caliber team is pretty far off, espescially without a Nationally legit star player to carry the team.McCamey is OK and Davis is solid, but these are basically your star players and neither have shown true Nationally respected star status as players.

They might be good enough for a Big 10 but I dont see how much better they would be Nationally with almost every other team looking good or better on paper for 2010-2011.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Closed Thread