Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-13-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default LaMarcus Aldridge OR Tyrus Thomas

LaMarcus Aldridge - Texas, 6-10, 240, PF

Tyrus Thomas - LSU, 6-9, 229, PF

I would personnaly pick Aldridge because he is closer to being a true center and Raptors need a big body inside to cover for Bosh
Old 06-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
bk15
I hit open layups

bk15 has no real reputation yet.

Duh!!!
y would you think of takin tyrus thomas when we have Charlie V and BOSH
bk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:20 PM   #3
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Team needs aside, Aldridge is the more complete player.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
Orealius
Great young streetballer

Orealius has an OK reputation so far

I thought unregistered people couldnt start threads? Anyway, it's an easy choice and that is Aldridge.
Orealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:33 PM   #5
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

I believe Aldridge for sure. we don't need anyone at the 3 or 4 at the moment. We are in more need of the 5 if anything. then 1 then go from there. No Bargnani....Aldridge all the way or very, and I mean very good trade.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:56 PM   #6
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

aldridge by a mile... thomas is going to be a less talented kmart...
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:46 AM   #7
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I liked watching Thomas play at LSU cuz he had so much passion and all that.. but after reading that interview on DraftExpress.com I kinda don't like him.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:41 AM   #8
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
LaMarcus Aldridge - Texas, 6-10, 240, PF

Tyrus Thomas - LSU, 6-9, 229, PF

I would personnaly pick Aldridge because he is closer to being a true center and Raptors need a big body inside to cover for Bosh
I'm pretty sure you meant

Aldridge 6'10", 234
Thomas 6'8", 217

You guys really want somebody with a small forward's build playing center for you? I honestly think every team in the NBA has a small forward heavier than Aldridge. I'll make a list later on.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:44 AM   #9
J Miles 23
I hit open layups

J Miles 23 has an OK reputation so far

i think aldridge is perfect for us..having a huge front line..that can get out on the fast break...phoniex part 2
J Miles 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:21 AM   #10
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425
there's the list of small forwards who can post him.

Quote:
having a huge front line..that can get out on the fast break...phoniex part 2
With no elite point guard = Atlanta part 2
Old 06-14-2006, 09:37 AM   #11
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

A lot of guys you listed wouldn't be able to post him at all. How is LeBron James more of a center than him? And Ron Artest? Because they weigh 245 pounds? Dunleavy, Stojakavich, QRich, Josh Smith and Bobby Simmons would not be able to post him up on a regular basis, maybe they'd get lucky a few times. And they other guys, it would be because of their SKILLS, not there size. I don't know why your such a hater.. there IS a reason he is just coming out of College now, and yeah its because he's not physically ready at the moment, but you can't seriously think that he'll be 234 for the rest of his career can you? He'll be a rookie and he'll have his problems like any other rookie, but stop the hating. Especially at the Center position, very seldomly does a rookie center come along and fulfill expectations, it almost always takes the bigs longer to develop. There is not a better big guy in this draft (maybe Shelden Williams at the moment cuz he's the most NBA ready).
Old 06-14-2006, 10:20 AM   #12
adamcz
Bucks fan

There's a difference in drafting a project who can play 15 minutes a game for a few years while he learns the ropes, and drafting your franchise center, who will immediatly be playing 30 minutes a game. This is still the NBA, and rookie or not, he'll have to guard Shaq, Yao, Ilgauskas, Bogut, Magloire, Kaman, Duncan, Okafor, Dampier, etc, all game long.

I said that Lebron and Artest are more of a center, because on the defensive end, they could probably do a better job guarding the guys I listed.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #13
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

The vast majority of rookies are projects, and if Toronto takes Aldridge he isn't our franchise center now, he's the franchise center of the futute. Nobody in their right mind would expect him to come and play to the standards of almost all the names you listed. Bogut, a rookie last year, did not do a great job guarding those people when Magloire wasn't guarding them. Magloire himself, who's a veteran can't guard these guys that great. As you and everyone else already know, there is a shortage of quality centers in the league, so the ones who have skill are going to dominate the unskilled ones all game, and all year long.
The Raptors are nowhere close to being in contention for a title, so the drafting of Aldridge is not going to be the end of the world. If they do draft him, he'll be starting to become one of the elite centers in the league with his added weight, strength, and all around skill when they are ready to make their playoff run, and will be a very nice complement to Bosh and Charlie V (assuming he is still in a Raptors uniform). In this draft the Raptors are not looking for a franchise player, they are looking for another piece to their puzzle. They already have their franchise player, as well as a couple nice options on the side. Colangelo is already very active in looking for deals to improve the team, and if they draft Aldridge he will just be another acquisition that adds to the athletic, skilled team whom he wishes to have depth.

Last edited by Chamberlain : 06-14-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:35 AM   #14
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Bogut, a rookie last year, did not do a great job guarding those people when Magloire wasn't guarding them.
Bogut did a pretty decent job gaurding centers, but almost never got a chance to do it. He played 80% of his minutes at PF.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:49 AM   #15
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Well it's hard to compare the 2 because Aldridge has never played in an NBA game, but in college he was more of a defensive presence than Bogut was. It's an unfair comparisn to bring up NCAA stuff, but its really all we have to work with. I see the point your tryin to make, its just that my opinion is that by the time Aldridge packs on some pounds and gets stronger he'll be one of the better centers. You can't say he isn't a center because he weighs 234 pounds. Like you said, LeBron and Ron are 245, and so are a lot of centers, but that doesn't make them centers, because they don't play that style or have those polished skills (I guess LeBron has polished skills in every aspect, but other 3's are 240+ and don't). Just like Alridge weighs in liek a lot of 3's would but that doesn't make him a 3 player. You can't judge a position by weight, and while I agree he isn't strong enough at the time to be a dominant post player, theres still a long way to go before the season, and again, hes only a rookie, his best years are way ahead of him.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: