Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 06-23-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Smart Move Joe D!!!

This is proof Joe D isn't going to give away our superstars. This would have been devastating to our team. What a horrible trade proposal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Quote:
The Boston Celtics appear willing to make major roster changes to balance a chance for a championship run and future financial flexibility.

The Celtics offered Ray Allen(notes) and Rajon Rondo(notes) to the Detroit Pistons for a package that included Richard Hamilton(notes), Tayshaun Prince(notes) and Rodney Stuckey(notes), league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Boston general manager Danny Ainge and Detroitís Joe Dumars never spoke, but rather the Celtics had a lower-level executive make the pitch to a Pistons official over the past weekend, league sources said. Detroit immediately rejected the idea, and it never advanced to the two top executives speaking about particulars.

This isnít an uncommon occurrence for a GM like Ainge to dispatch an underling to make that kind of a call, if for no other reason to give the top executive some level of deniability that heís shopping his stars.

This isnít the first time that Allen, a six-time All-Star, has been mentioned in trade talks this summer. Allen, who will soon turn 34, has an expiring contract of nearly $20 million, for next season. Rondo, 24, a rapidly developing point guard, has been publically termed off-limits by Ainge in trade discussion this summer. Nevertheless, his name found a way into this conversation. Rondo averaged 11.9 points, 8.2 assists and 5.2 rebounds in the regular season, and had three triple-doubles in the Celticsí playoff run this season.

Boston is unlikely to re-sign Allen to a long-term extension next summer, and there is belief around the league that the Celtics have hesitancy about committing a long-term, expensive contract to Rondo.

There has been some friction with Rondo, largely based on maturity. No issues with him are insurmountable, but Ainge has never minded shopping ideas around the league. Nevertheless, itís hard to imagine a deal that Boston could do with these two players that would give them a chance to stay a championship contender around Kevin Garnett(notes) and Paul Pierce(notes).

For the Pistons, this deal makes little sense, unless they wanted to let Allenís expiring deal gain even more salary cap space for the free-agent class of 2010. The idea of trading his three best returners for an expiring contract and one good young player wasnít worth considering for Dumars, sources said.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

detsportsfan3 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Smart Move Joe D!!!

Definitely a smart move, but he really shouldn't be praised for not taking a terrible trade offer. It seems that everyone (including me) has lost some faith in his skill as GM after last year that we needed something small like this to make sure he isn't a complete idiot. Just saying it's not a big deal since no GM would take this offer but yeah it's glad to see that he knows what our players are worth and isn't liquidating everyone and tearing apart the team.
detsportsfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

True it's pretty much a no brainer but it does show he's not just blowing things up. I think you and I are pretty much the only Pistons fans left on the board anymore
Old 06-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
True it's pretty much a no brainer but it does show he's not just blowing things up. I think you and I are pretty much the only Pistons fans left on the board anymore

Not surprising, it is the offseason. I wasn't on this site for 2-3 months before just coming back this last week cause of all these Pistons rumors.

But man if you wasched ESPN all they talked about is, "How could Boston shop Rando?" They didn't say ANYTHING about this trade from a Pistons perspectives or how Detroit was getting screwed over. I think they actually thought it was a bad move for the Celtics and that kind of makes me mad that they would underrate our players so much. Honestly, Dumars should have countered with Kwame for Rando+Powe just as a big **** you and hell no to Ainge. And all of the Pistons fans would act like Boston is getting the better deal when they are clearly not, like what Boston fans are doing now. What a terrible and insulting offer.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Apparently 22 year old Amir to the Bucks for 34 year old Oberto? Eh... we got a center and expiring contract, but I would've asked for someone better.

Edit: Pistons to buyout Oberto? So we got nothing for Amir? Just got his contract off the books? Man, not even a 2nd rounder or a swap of 2nds? Joe D might have got what he wanted but the rebuilding Bucks get a steal and I think Pistons could've gotten more from them.

If so I think this pretty much guarantees Mullens at #15 or a Center from free agency. Maxiell can't play Center and Kwame will probably start

Last edited by detsportsfan3 : 06-23-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

I think I made that headline too soon. I'll wait until after the draft until I make that decision though.... I think that does mean we are going after Mullens. If Joe D is clearing cap room though, it could mean he is targeting two superstar type players in free agency and not just one. Also since we are under the cap we don't have to match salaries to make a trade. That means if a team like the Raptors was trying to drop a contract like Bosh's they could without getting much in return if that's what they wanted to do.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Quote:
I think I made that headline too soon. I'll wait until after the draft until I make that decision though.... I think that does mean we are going after Mullens. If Joe D is clearing cap room though, it could mean he is targeting two superstar type players in free agency and not just one. Also since we are under the cap we don't have to match salaries to make a trade. That means if a team like the Raptors was trying to drop a contract like Bosh's they could without getting much in return if that's what they wanted to do.

Yeah, this deal saves only like $3.5m if we dump Oberto though. But since we already have roughly 20m yeah going to $23.5 could be a big difference in getting two superstar caliber players. Since they would probably want 11m+ each.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Quote:

Yeah, this deal saves only like $3.5m if we dump Oberto though. But since we already have roughly 20m yeah going to $23.5 could be a big difference in getting two superstar caliber players. Since they would probably want 11m+ each.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

double post, my bad
Old 06-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #10
dd24
College superstar

I think theoretically Detroit could trade a couple second round picks for pretty much anybody in the league, right? So if a team wanted some cap relief they could trade a superstar and not get much in return.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #11
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Quote:
I think theoretically Detroit could trade a couple second round picks for pretty much anybody in the league, right? So if a team wanted some cap relief they could trade a superstar and not get much in return.

I guess...
Old 06-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

that is insane. Rondo and Allen for a PACKAGE that has our starting 1-3 (and presumably something else with the way that article is worded). Terrible, terrible trade proposal. Now, rondo for rip? I might do it. Rondo for stuckey? I'd definitely do it.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #13
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Oh really? There are far more active pistons fans than you guys in the OTC and main forum. DueceWallaces for one.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #14
dd24
College superstar

I don't use the main forum much. It just gets too crazy in there. You guys need to help keep this section interesting
Old 06-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

yeah, I go to the main forum a lot but when we're talking about the Pistons rumors I like to do it here a lot more.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: