Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 06-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

TarHeelBorn has an OK reputation so far
Default Dalembert?

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news...o-bobcats.html

We've talked about this guy a few times. He is much more productive than Nazr or Diop so I'm sure we would use him to back up Mek at 5 and use him to go big with Mek at 4, Dalembert at 5. Would hurt our depth behind Wallace but I don't think the Rad Vlad experiment worked out.

It frees up $1.5MM a year in cap space for the next two years and gives us a more attractive trade piece at the 2011 trade deadline.

I'd be down I guess as long as we gave them one of our 2nd rounders not swapping the 12th for the 17th. We can get much more for 12 in the event someone unexpectantly falls.
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board
Default Re: Dalembert?

Dalembert has a 15% trade kicker so the savings goes to nil. He's complained when he didn't get PT and I'd imagine that'd be no different here. I think LB is going to give Gana PT as he & Jordan were so high on him last summer.

If we were planning on moving Mek for salary relief/high draft pick then maybe I could see it.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

SixersFan76 has an OK reputation so far

If Bobcats have enough salary space to absorb Dalembert's contract without sending anyone back to Philly, they'll drive Dalembert to Charlotte for you. However, presuming you'd have to send some contracts back, Philly would have zero interest in Radmanovic and Mohammed and won't absorb the 4 years on Diop's contract. It would have to be some sign and trade deal involving Felton in all likelihood, although I'm not sure Philly would have interest in him, along with either the bad contract V-Rad has or that of Nazr. Either way, doesn't seem likely.
SixersFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

TarHeelBorn has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixersFan76
Either way, doesn't seem likely.
I agree. I didn't think it made much sense when I read it but still thought it should be discussed. No chance we trade Felton for a 4th center...

The 15% trade kicker, does that apply against the cap?
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

Not sure but I would guess so as it is "salary".

Most Philly fans are pretty much all for it on RGM. Supposedly they're committed to move him and the ONLY potential partner they're talking to is us. Vlad played in the triangle in LA and supposedly the princeton is similar. Nazr would give them a backup C to replace Dalembert's loss. They all have the same amount of years but Philly would be cutting his albatross contract into 2 half size deals.

Heck, the majority say they'd do it straight up without the picks.

Plenty of reasons for Philly fans to want it...very few from our perspective UNLESS we're wanting to move Mek in another deal. Dalembert whined over getting just 24 mpg and I can't imagine him getting more than that with us.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

He would gladly waive the kicker I believe and he would also end up being your starting center. Okafor is best suited as a 4 and will have a much longer career if he plays the 4. Dalembert is also an ideal match in theory in that he is a roaming, athletic shot blocker who will guard most 5's and won't take away Okafor's space in the post on the offensive end. That being said, he has a contract that far exceeds his ability and consistency. The question is why would Philly move him for trash without freeing up cap space and why would Charlotte take on his contract for a better player? That's why I don't think the two teams are a good match as far as trading Dalembert goes.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
catsandheels
I brick open layups

catsandheels has an OK reputation so far

i think this is an ok trade as long as we get to keep our 12 overall pick. It can help us cause it will give us a backup 4 with okafore and put dalembert at 5.
catsandheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
He would gladly waive the kicker I believe and he would also end up being your starting center. Okafor is best suited as a 4 and will have a much longer career if he plays the 4. Dalembert is also an ideal match in theory in that he is a roaming, athletic shot blocker who will guard most 5's and won't take away Okafor's space in the post on the offensive end. That being said, he has a contract that far exceeds his ability and consistency. The question is why would Philly move him for trash without freeing up cap space and why would Charlotte take on his contract for a better player? That's why I don't think the two teams are a good match as far as trading Dalembert goes.

Pretty sure he can't waive the kicker.

Mek is a 5. His lack of mobility & outside game dictates that. I think they would work pretty well defensively in guarding the paint, but if the opposing team has a guy like Boris Diaw then we're in trouble. On the offensive side both play in the paint so that would clog it up for Larry Brown's "drive the ball"! mantra.

All reports say Philly is working hard to move him. Their options are extremely limited. Think about it...who would want to pay over 12 million per year for a guy who's PER last season was 13.22?

Hope it's not us.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Dalembert is another one of those guys who, it would be a waste, to have him on the team because he is a starting-caliber player. We have a starting PF and C in Diaw and Okafor. So, in order to get Dalembert we'd have to trade one or the other.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

acidbasesalt has decent reputationacidbasesalt has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~spectre~
Pretty sure he can't waive the kicker.

Mek is a 5. His lack of mobility & outside game dictates that. I think they would work pretty well defensively in guarding the paint, but if the opposing team has a guy like Boris Diaw then we're in trouble. On the offensive side both play in the paint so that would clog it up for Larry Brown's "drive the ball"! mantra.

All reports say Philly is working hard to move him. Their options are extremely limited. Think about it...who would want to pay over 12 million per year for a guy who's PER last season was 13.22?

Hope it's not us.

At least the Bobcats can get rid of Mohammed. Also, Radmanovic does not really fit in Larry Brown's slow pace-tempo control style of play anyway.
Dalembert's defensive instinct is no worse than Okafor while both suck at offense, so it's fine to have Dalembert assuming the Bobcats plan to trade Okafor.

This trade seems beneficial to Charlotte if the Bobcats can trade Okafor for a true PF, one who can rebound and score at mid-range, e.g. Boozer (likely needs a sign and trade), Zach Randolph (very unlikely sinse no one can handle him) ,Troy Murphy (either 1 to 1 deal or maybe getting a pick). Forget about May, he's out of the rotation for too long.

Just an idea, why not move Diaw to SF and Wallace to SG? Wallace is quick enough, in fact, quicker than many SGs and can surely guard them. All Wallace needs to do is to practice shooting.

Last edited by acidbasesalt : 06-17-2009 at 05:07 PM.
acidbasesalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

I disagree. I think Diaw is best suited to come off the bench and play a hybrid 3 and 4. He's not a true PF and Okafor is not a true C. He is best suited to be a low post scoring and defensive minded 4. That's why the Bobcats have been trying so desperately to pair him up with a real C, even if it's overpaid stiffs like Mohammed and Diop. Plus, Dalembert is a 26 to 28 minute a game center, so Bobcats would have flexibility to go big and small depending on match-ups. That still doesn't change the fact that the teams don't seem like a good match for a trade.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #12
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
I disagree. I think Diaw is best suited to come off the bench and play a hybrid 3 and 4. He's not a true PF and Okafor is not a true C. He is best suited to be a low post scoring and defensive minded 4. That's why the Bobcats have been trying so desperately to pair him up with a real C, even if it's overpaid stiffs like Mohammed and Diop. Plus, Dalembert is a 26 to 28 minute a game center, so Bobcats would have flexibility to go big and small depending on match-ups. That still doesn't change the fact that the teams don't seem like a good match for a trade.

Our starting 5:

Felton/Bell/Wallace/Diaw/Okafor

tied for the 6th highest plus/minus in the league, and only the top team's starting 5 (Boston) had more minutes...the rest weren't even close.

Personally I think each of our players are playing in exactly the right spot. The Okafor to PF has never made sense and I almost think that was developed over last summer as a smokescreen by Larry Brown.

How often did we play Mek and Diop together? 48 minutes, and that's over a half of a season (41 games). Their +/- was +6. Mek & Boris played 1657 minutes together and was a stellar +114.

Larry Brown NEVER plays him with a C.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #13
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbasesalt
At least the Bobcats can get rid of Mohammed. Also, Radmanovic does not really fit in Larry Brown's slow pace-tempo control style of play anyway.
Dalembert's defensive instinct is no worse than Okafor while both suck at offense, so it's fine to have Dalembert assuming the Bobcats plan to trade Okafor.

This trade seems beneficial to Charlotte if the Bobcats can trade Okafor for a true PF, one who can rebound and score at mid-range, e.g. Boozer (likely needs a sign and trade), Zach Randolph (very unlikely sinse no one can handle him) ,Troy Murphy (either 1 to 1 deal or maybe getting a pick). Forget about May, he's out of the rotation for too long.

Just an idea, why not move Diaw to SF and Wallace to SG? Wallace is quick enough, in fact, quicker than many SGs and can surely guard them. All Wallace needs to do is to practice shooting.

That would be why we'd want Dalembert, i.e. moving Mek. If we could make this deal (without the pick) and then trade Mek for #3 overall and Collison...which was proposed by an OKC fan and they have a thread on @ RGM...I could see it. Get Harden who's supposedly the best SG in the draft, a wing at 12th:

Felton/DJ/Jefferson
Bell/Harden
Crash/Clark(?)/40th
Boris/Collison/Ajinca
Dalembert/Gana/54th

or something like that.

In regards to Nazr...I don't consider him total deadweight. LB should have used him more and is supposedly in the gym trying to show he's worth more PT next season. We're not saving any salary in the trade and indeed are losing depth.

Not good depth, but nevertheless.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #14
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

As a side note...we only played Nazr & Okafor together for 29 minutes, and that was for the whole season.

Player Pairings - 82games

Sortable NBA 5-man Unit Stats - 82games
Old 06-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #15
catsandheels
I brick open layups

catsandheels has an OK reputation so far

if we wouldnt have to trade away a pic i think it could be a excelent trade
catsandheels is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: