Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 06-28-2009, 03:08 AM   #31
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

Default Re: Grizzlies: Draft night chatter.

We should keep both, we had one of the best if not the best drafts this year, you guys need to lighten up.
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #32
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Memphis
I don't want it to happen at all.

But we do have 2 young centers. One who is more gifted offensively. And one who has just been selected number 2 overall for his defense.

I like Marc Gasol a lot. I didn't want Thabeet because of Gasol.

I'm just pointing out that if Thabeet plays well like the Front Office is banking on, it will make Marc Gasol more expendable to the team.

It has nothing to do with whether I want to get rid of Gasol or not.

Marc would be a beast coming off the bench. I like the combo of Hasheem and Marc.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #33
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

i dont see why many grizz fans sound negative about what happen. aside from blake griffin you didnt need any pg or sg or sf from the draft. logical choice is to go for thabeet. marc and thabeet should be a good pf/c combo in the future. rubio is there but didnt want to play here. you already have conley. mayo and gay.. unless gay was traded plus the pick for a big star at pf but then again it would just be a waste of money and a waste of pick.

plus i dont think there is a star available right now that would put memphis back to the playoffs unless its kobe, wade lebron or kg. outside of that id rather see what thabeet can do. marc is more of a pf in my eyes because he can stretch the defense i mean he can even shoot threes. he has a good stroke. marc is a good passer as well so thabeet will actually be good offensively coz of marc.

but the question is who will train both guys. i mean orlando has ewing for D12 ... lakers have jabar for bynum and gasol..

so i think this is a good pick not great but good.

grizz pick whats needed not whats the best available..

Last edited by veilside23 : 06-28-2009 at 08:23 PM.
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:27 AM   #34
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

How about we sign Mutombo has a big man coach or has Houston given him that job? Mutombo could really teach Thabeet a thing or two.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #35
BigSims2108
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
How about we sign Mutombo has a big man coach or has Houston given him that job? Mutombo could really teach Thabeet a thing or two.

Damn. I posted that exact same idea on commercialappeal.com. I guess we think alike, Kebab.
BigSims2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #36
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

not a bad idea but mutumbo would only be able to really teach big men what thabeet is supposed to be good at.

thabeet is supposed to be a great defender. we don't need to hire someone who can really only help him in that regard.

we need to find a big man coach who was dominant on the offensive side of the game to teach some moves like ewing does with dwight.
J-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #37
BigSims2108
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Memphis
not a bad idea but mutumbo would only be able to really teach big men what thabeet is supposed to be good at.

thabeet is supposed to be a great defender. we don't need to hire someone who can really only help him in that regard.

we need to find a big man coach who was dominant on the offensive side of the game to teach some moves like ewing does with dwight.

How about...olajuwon or Robinson?
Old 06-30-2009, 04:23 AM   #38
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

I don't think we can get Olajuwon, I think Houston got him to help Yao.

Robinson's not bad, but I think the perfect guy would be Kareem, but he's not available. If Thabeet could develop a solid hook shot, there's no one in the league that could stop it. Thabeet's 7'3 with some of the longest and gangliest arms I've ever seen. No one would be able to block that.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:22 AM   #39
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall

I was thinking the same thing. Except I wanted to get Hakeem Olajuwon. He would be a great coach for Thabbet.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:02 AM   #40
berraco
Darko The Ripper

haha... thinking about this Iavaroni came to my mind. Not as a player, of course, but he was recognized as a good big men coach in Phoenix... funny thing if memphis would bring him back as an assistant, although I know he joined the Raptors...
Robinson would help this guy a lot, but i hardly see Thabeet developing a good offensive game. I will be happy if he can get 10 points per game based on his rebounding skills.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #41
BigSims2108
Decent playground baller

Thabeet just needs a passable offense. You don't need a great offensive game to be an NBA player. You just have to do what you are best at and be the best at it and bring it to the court 100% every night.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #42
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSims2108
Thabeet just needs a passable offense. You don't need a great offensive game to be an NBA player. You just have to do what you are best at and be the best at it and bring it to the court 100% every night.
Yes, but I'm not sure he can get to it.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #43
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by berraco
Yes, but I'm not sure he can get to it.
I think he should be able to do this if not more.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #44
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
I think he should be able to do this if not more.
He will have to work a lot to develop any kind of useful offensive movement and I don't really see him "gifted" in the learning area. He has been relying in his size to get his buckets but it seems his coaches haven't been able to teach him some movements.

Anyway, if by passable offense we understand to make 8 or 10 points after some offensive boards or in FTs, ok, then, I give you that.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:45 AM   #45
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by berraco
He will have to work a lot to develop any kind of useful offensive movement and I don't really see him "gifted" in the learning area. He has been relying in his size to get his buckets but it seems his coaches haven't been able to teach him some movements.

Anyway, if by passable offense we understand to make 8 or 10 points after some offensive boards or in FTs, ok, then, I give you that.
The learning area? He has only played for barely six years and he was a dominant force at uconn. He won alot of awards in his three seasons there. And was just the number two pick in the nba draft. Im sure he has the drive and the intelligence to get better.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: