Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 06-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
donsanchez306
High School Varsity 12th Man

Default Jrue Holliday!

sixerfan you were wrong. GOBB u were right. end story.

moving on.........17th pick us guys now can argue what to do now.

as of now i hope we trade/buy a second rounder. crazy picks left.
donsanchez306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
Junny
I air my balls

Default Re: Jrue Holliday!

Is Jrue Holliday any good? I never know how good these draft picks are except for some internationals cause I watch zero college/high school basketball. Is he going to help us much?
Junny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
iggy>
Rozay Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junny
Is Jrue Holliday any good? I never know how good these draft picks are except for some internationals cause I watch zero college/high school basketball. Is he going to help us much?
he was the second ranked highschool prospect in 2008. he had a pretty dissapointing freshman year at ucla and still was projected as a top 10 pick. then some teams were scared off by his shoulder injury. sixers reallly really lucked out. if this guy went back to school he wouldve been a top 5 pick next year.
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

should i be excited about this at all?
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Seems like the same story with Thaddeus Young who i believe was ranked 3rd in his HS class before going to Gtech. And he didnt have a spectacular freshman season like many expected. He didnt drop as far as Holiday but had he performed like many thought he was capable of at Gtech would have gone higher. And as of today many Sixers fans like the pick but he still has to improve. Could be the same case with Holiday. I've only seen a handful of games and the only thing that stood out to me was his defense. Granted he played out of position so that could have affected him. But with all the hype surrounding him I felt he was overrated for a guy who didnt really show much in comparison to other prospects he was rated above.

I'm not mad at the selection but I'm not excited either. My friends text me saying Sixers got a steal, and they were so lucky after Jrue was selected. But I didnt feel that way. Dont read into this as I'm down on the pick or think it will suck and should have gone a direction. Just not excited where I just cant hide it.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

press conference at 1pm
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Jrue Holiday's measurements:

6'3.25" barefoot
6'4.25" in shoes
199 lbs
6'7" wingspan
8'4.5" standing reach
6.3% body fat
34" max vert
Old 06-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

i like our pick now we just need to sign christmas.
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

I like the pick for several reasons

1. You got a guy who worked out for teams as high as #4 at #17. He was a lottery type talent, #9 on Jay Bilas' "best available" list who slipped because of a shoulder injury that I nor anybody else has really heard about. If he doesn't live up to those lottery expectations chances are he'll still be just as good as the guys you passed on him for.

2. The kid turned 19 two weeks ago. He's almost as young as a kid who would have skipped college entirely and entered out of high school. You see the "potential" label on him and we know it's going to take him a few years. Anybody expecting otherwise is ignorant. The kid's 19, let him learn.

3. He's an outstanding defensive player and has great size. Everyone who watched him for a few games has the same response..."I can't remember much about his offensive game but that guy's a lock down defender". He'll be able to guard guys 6'6" and shorter and you'll be able to play him in the same backcourt as Lou. Can't do that with Lawson. If Jrue's offensive game never pans out he's still a defensive stud and a constant part of the rotation. Low risk because he's already got his specialty down already, high reward if his offensive game comes.

4. A lot is made that he didn't play PG at UCLA but maybe more should be made that he never looked comfortable playing SG. He played PG in high school and was forced into the SG role because UCLA already had a senior All-American in place.

5. His scoring stats are hard to analyze away from his outside shooting. 1) UCLA's offense is dreadful to watch. It's slow paced and they have scores in the 60's regularly. That's Ben Howland basketball. 2)Compare him to a player like Tyreke Evans whose stats get boosted because of the coach he played for. Tyreke had exactly twice as many shots per game as Jrue in a quicker offense while playing basically the same amount of minutes and having 1.5 more turnovers per game. Their FG% is exactly the same, and while they both were bad from outside, Jrue had a higher % by 3 points. In another system Jrue would have probably been a 12-13 point player.

6. He's a good character kid. You look at the last few drafts, Young/Smith/Speights/Jrue, it seems like we've drafted guys who are good kids. They genuinely love the game and don't seem the type to skip practice or cause problems. They may one day (although I doubt it for Young) but as of right now I don't see it.

He'll be fine.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #10
the big stick
I airball my layups

http://http://www.metacafe.com/watch..._jrue_holiday/

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fMf_FcU9eY

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qeoic5fPvz8

We got the right player
the big stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:23 AM   #11
Grinder

As I said in the draft thread, I don't love this pick but I want Jrue to prove me wrong and become a very good player for us.

What I don't like about him:
- One of our biggest weaknesses is lack of perimeter shooting and Holiday lacks 3 pt range and didn't shoot all that great from there in college
- Not the freak athlete that he was made out to be entering college
- Don't feel that he's ready to contribute for at least 2 years
- Didn't produce enough in college regardless of the system
- Feel like he's gotten more hype than justified

What I do like about his game:
- Good team defender and excellent on-ball defender
- He's younger than most of his fellow draftees and shows good work ethic so there's an ample chance of reaching his potential
- Good rebounding guard
- Shows flashes of brilliance

I feel like Ty Lawson's ability in the open court and perimeter shooting ability would have fit our system perfectly but I want Jrue to prove that he's not all hype and certainly outshine the other PGs in this draft.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:14 AM   #12
jlitt
Decent playground baller

Please do not place too much emphasis on his college stats. typical ben howland teams don't showcase a player's individual talent. Many pitt and ucla guards put up pedestrian numbers yet still played in the pro's. Farmar, afflalo, westy and now holiday and collison. If you check out Ucla's stats they did not depend on him for scoring. That was not his role.

However he is a more than capable scorer. HE is capable of creating off the dribble, penetrating and catch and shoot. He has good form but just shot badly last year. He can definitely get up to to 35 plus percent from 3 in the next couple of years and will probably even progress from there. He has great size and measureables that set him apart from other point guards in this class. Best combo of size and athleticism of this group. Not a westbrook or iverson or farmar in terms of explosion. More like a brandon roy, deceptive athleticism.

By far the best pick for the slot and I personally couldn't be happier. In a draft with so few sure fire prospects the next best thing is to draft players who have high ceiling's and Holiday has the 2nd highest ceiling in this draft only behind Brandon jennings...maybe behind teague as well.
jlitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Sixers introduce Jrue Holiday
Old 06-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #14
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Looks like Eagles CB Lito lol
Old 06-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #15
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Since 1987-88, here are some notable Gatorade Players of the Year: Alonzo Mourning, Kenny Anderson, Chris Webber, Stephon Marbury, Kobe Bryant, Baron Davis, Al Harrington, Jared Jeffries, LeBron James (twice), Dwight Howard, Greg Oden (twice) and Kevin Love.

They account for 14 of the last 20 years, not including Holiday in 2007-08.

Some of the other winners are recognizable within basketball circles: Damon Bailey (1990), Corliss Williamson (1992), Randy Livingston (1993), and Felipe Lopez (1994).

Two winners - LaVell Blanchard (1999) and Kelvin Torbert (2001) - most likely ring no bell at all, unless you are an avid college hoops fan, especially in Michigan, where both played college ball.

So the guys who arent worth much are Blanchard, Torbert, Bailey, Lopez, Livingston, Jeffries. 6 players did zilch where 12 players did something.

I like Holidays odds of being "something".
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: