Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 07-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #31
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board
Default Re: 2009-2010 Line up

MikeUK you should be very pleased to know that the rumor that so "scared" the Bobcats about how much Felton's agent was looking for was 8 million per year. I figure he starts at 8, we start at 6 and hopefully we meet in the middle.

Something about Felton a lot don't know; Charlotte was SECOND in the league in opponent's PER at the PG position this past season. Combine his stellar defense at that spot and his at least average distributing ability then I think he is easily in the top 20 PGs right now.

That's why Larry Brown made an about face on him...that's something he can work with.

Rufus..ya know I was just jerking your chain right? I should have put the link up originally but got lazy.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #32
MikeUK
Decent playground baller

MikeUK has an OK reputation so far

That is a big weight off my mind. He has always looked solid defensively, and I guess when I see him get torched it's often where he's getting minutes alongside Augustin or someone and thus not in as fair a viewpoint as he's guarding the better offensive guard.

Salery wise I was going off what some of the average starter old guys got as long term deals and I think I was perhaps comparing their later year saleries with what I expected Felton's earlier years to be like and thus the difference is greater. 7 million going up to like 9 is much better than 9 going to over 11

Perhaps I was a little harsh and expecting higher wages and thus just thought we could spend the money better. Man that Nazr deal looked iffy but OK at first but then when we got Diop aswell it just looks horrible. I think they tried to get Diop and couldn't, so did a deal that was very similar instead for Nazr. But instead of realising later when 'their guy' was available that they'd already filled that (back-up Centre good enough to play 20 mins rather than 10 and let Mek slide to PF for those extra 10 a game in a different look for the opponent) issue with a 90% solution, went for what they wanted origionally even though it was now a much smaller upgrade on what they had in Nazr over the likes of Hollins back initially.

It's really tied our hands as we can't afford a legit sixth man (or stating PF maybe with Diaw the prototype 6th man already onboard) and end up just playing our best back-up Augustin alot which shifts Felton out of position and causes the cronic problems when a starter is injured. When we have a fit line-up we seem to take on anyone and I've come to think it's not a weak bench, but a lack of that number 6 or 7 guy at the very top of the bench which we need to add.
MikeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #33
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

Now you know this is just one man's opinion and I'm going off of rumors and internet stuff...for all I really know Felton wants 10 per. I don't think so though; Jordan sounds fairly confident he's going to get a deal done and I doubt he would be if he was asking that much.

If I remember correctly I got that 8 million off of Bill Ingram of Hoops World. Normally they'll print anything but Ingram actually traveled with them some, so I feel he has a better handle than a lot of others.

Nazr was cowtowing to the Idiot when he said Mek was a PF and needed a C. Primoz sucked and he wouldn't play Herrmann so Jordan listened to him. I'm pretty sure Jordan wasn't going to re-sign Mek (we went after Diop in the summer, offering him the full MLE...Dallas matched) but Larry pretty much told him we had no shot at the playoffs without him.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:24 AM   #34
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

TarHeelBorn has an OK reputation so far

Considering the state of the league and free agency, there is no way Felton will get $10 million a year. I say we sign him 5 years, $35 million (like spectre said).
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:59 AM   #35
MikeUK
Decent playground baller

MikeUK has an OK reputation so far

Waffling post alert but only one trade (I think is balanced and helps both involved) plus signing A.I.

My line-up for 09/10

PG - Iverson + Augustin
SG - Bell + Henderson
SF - Wallace + Radmanovic
PF - Diaw + Brown (2nd round pick looks interesting or Radman + Okafor have to play a couple mins here)
C - Okafor + Diop

Bench Singletary + Ajinca + Mohammed

Cost as per ********* if Iverson was on a 5.5 million MLE instead of Felton's 5.5 million qualifying offer is 56.5 million. I would assume though that they get 7 so we spending 58 million (maybe deal gets done by a sign and trade or sure there is a way). Important we add on the rookies saleries which I think are very roughly 1.5 and 0.5 million the first year and that hits 60 million.

That is without any additions or salery dump of Mohammed. The one issue I'd have is that back-up PF spot as we'd be covered without injuries but if Okafor and Wallace are having to play significant time there I think it makes their own positions much weaker.

So here's an option I'd try for.

LA Clippers - Have spare big men as want 2 of the 3 established guys with Blake Griffin backing up. Randolph seen as their best PF option by far and Camby's one year 7.6 mil deal more attractive to keep than Kaman's 3 year 10-11-12 deal so we offer to take Kaman. We tempt them with a legit back-up PG for Davis as they don't have anything there currently, but rather than wanting Felton to sit on the bench at a cost and free agent they want D.J.'s cheap deal for a promising guy instead. We agree to send D.J. (2.4M) plus Nazr hopefully (6.5M) (since Diop has 3 years not two and also a player option for 4th so don't think they want him and I'd rather keep the young guy as I see something I like in him as a role guy) which is 9 million for their 10 million of Kaman. This doesn't solve the back-up PF spot but instead gives us 3 quality bigs to rotate between the 2 spots (Mek CAN play both about the same since good player just bit tweener) and also gives us better options to back up our SF spot if Wallace is hurt as Diaw would be able to cover there some due to the extra quality bigman in rotation.
Yes we'd now have the hole at back-up point but if the team are willing to spend, bring back Felton alongside A.I. (60 million payroll now 59 plus him is below tax) but I may be dreaming, else I think there's far more free agent options for vet min at PG than a back-up big (I liked Howard but think he's about it out there and likely to retire anyway).

PG - Iverson + Felton ( + Singletary if a top4 guard injured a starter would slide to play a little SG)
SG - Bell + Henderson (see above if injuries)
SF - Wallace + Radmanovic ( + Diaw if injury issues)
PF - Diaw + Okafor + Brown / Ajinca very occasionally
C - Kaman + Okafor + Diop occasionally and for giving fouls

Now that I think is a play-off roster.
MikeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #36
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

TarHeelBorn has an OK reputation so far

We really don't need another bad contract center. We should go after one of the many PFs on Hollinger's list here. My preference would be Warrick b/c he can score and he could probably be had for about 4 mil per year now that Zach Randolph is on his way to Memphis. Gooden would probably be too expensive but if we can AI, Frye or Diogu could be serviceable for very cheap.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...eagents-090701

Last edited by TarHeelBorn : 07-02-2009 at 09:19 AM.
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #37
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Mike, the reason Iverson sucked last year is because he was a PG. He is a SG, a very undersized one, but he is a SG.

We also chose not to excercise Singletery's option, which means we're sticking with Dontell Jefferson as our third PG.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #38
RoTM
Local High School Star

RoTM has an OK reputation so far

I wonder if Detroit would want to take on Nazr as a sign and trade for AI, and free up the cats MLE for someone like Wilcox.
RoTM is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: