Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default I have never experienced a "runner's high".

Only sweat, exhaustion and pain. What gives?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation
Default Re: I have never experienced a "runner's high".

How often do you run and for how long?

Esentially you have to run yourself nearly to hypothermia then your brain will begin to shut down due to lack of oxygen.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
Esentially you have to run yourself nearly to hypothermia then your brain will begin to shut down due to lack of oxygen.

That sounds like fun.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
Clifton
talk less, say more

Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool

You probably aren't running enough or pushing hard enough. I used to say the same thing. But about 2 years later, I finally started getting serious distance runs in, and I get it now.

A good rule of thumb is, running doesn't get interesting until you hit the 5 mile mark, swimming the 1 mile mark. That's how it is for me. I don't know if it's mental or what, but I can't even get a semblance of rhythm or endorphins for the first 4 3/4 miles, but as soon as I hit 5 it's like I couldn't stop if I wanted to and I usually go on to 7 or 8. Swimming, which I'm doing more of now because of my knees, I usually go for 40 laps, ~32 being a mile (and it really is right at that point that I start to really feel it).
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton
You probably aren't running enough or pushing hard enough. I used to say the same thing. But about 2 years later, I finally started getting serious distance runs in, and I get it now.

A good rule of thumb is, running doesn't get interesting until you hit the 5 mile mark, swimming the 1 mile mark. That's how it is for me. I don't know if it's mental or what, but I can't even get a semblance of rhythm or endorphins for the first 4 3/4 miles, but as soon as I hit 5 it's like I couldn't stop if I wanted to and I usually go on to 7 or 8. Swimming, which I'm doing more of now because of my knees, I usually go for 40 laps, ~32 being a mile (and it really is right at that point that I start to really feel it).

If you push yourself to that point are you getting any extra physical benefit or are you risking injury?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

You can only get it if you are pretty fit and run for a good distance.

I wouldn't call it a real "high", because it's not like taking drugs or anything like that, but it does feel pretty funny.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
How often do you run and for how long?

Hypothermia? Isn't that when your body becomes too cold?
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli

I think he meant hypoxia.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli

Yeah, and distance runners can easily suffer it too. Especially if the weather isn't right.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
iamgine

iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool

Have you done all this:

Quote:
...runner's high is actually a very cool feeling that happens when you've been running for an extended period of time (a few miles or kilometers for most people). It is when you get your "second wind" and the feeling that you can't keep going anymore is replaced with a light feeling that everything is possible if you keep moving and keep putting one food in front of another. Alright great, so everyone wants to experience the runner's high. But how?

First of all you need to make sure that you have all the right equipment to run safely. This means you will need to invest a good pair of running shoes or sneakers before you set off. Also be sure to wear some clothes that will allow your body to breathe, without being too cold if you are from a northern region where the cold is an issue. If you want to give yourself the extra motivation, bring along an iPod or other MP3 music player and listen to your favorite songs while you run. You will be amazed at how much listening to music can change your thought patterns and help you to keep running longer.

Next, you will need to set up a running schedule. This is a simple thing to do, you just need to pick a time and place for your runs. You will want to run at least 4 times per week. This can mean 3 times during the work week and once of the week-end. It doesn't matter as long as you can fit in enough different running times. And you don't need to schedule one hour for running, you just need to run for about 20 to 30 minutes to start. Once you've got your time booked, you just need to follow through with your running commitment and get outside and run. I find that if you wake up in the morning and find yourself reading the newspaper, having a long breakfast and so on to avoid going to run then just do this: get up, put your running gear on and leave your home right away! Forget about eating breakfast, just bring some water with you on your run. You can eat a good breakfast when you return.

Once you've been running for 20 to 30 minutes every other day you can start to increase your distances. Do this gradually and soon enough you will be experiencing runner's high! Suddenly your metabolism will soar and you will feel better than ever!
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #11
canadianballer
Banned

canadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercanadianballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

running isnt fun its jus straight up boring
canadianballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

i heard someone talking about a runners high once. But he was saying that the runners slip into a state of Euphoria. Is that right?
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #13
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianballer
running isnt fun its jus straight up boring
I actually agree with you. the only time running is not boring is when you are running for your life.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #14
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix18
I actually agree with you. the only time running is not boring is when you are running for your life.

Yeah, but running for Canadianballer's life would seem a little futile.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #15
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
i heard someone talking about a runners high once. But he was saying that the runners slip into a state of Euphoria. Is that right?

Partly. After a while you just slip into a state where you are in cruise control. After a bit of running you start feeling very tired, but suddenly it kicks in and you feel better than you did in the beginning, you feel indestructible. Running suddenly takes zero effort while you where biting your lip 20 seconds before.

That's the runners high/second breath whatever you want to call it.

And running isn't fun indeed. But doing things that aren't fun builds character.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: