Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-30-2009, 03:52 AM   #1
qrich
King Heno

Default Ariza Won't Take Hometown Discount?

Quote:
Trevor Ariza's agent David Lee said Monday that the Lakers won't receive a hometown discount from his client.

Lee declined to reveal how much of a raise Ariza will seek when he becomes an unrestricted free agent, but he said his client should make him the most coveted wing player on the market.

Among the teams Lee expects to pursue Ariza are Detroit, Portland and Toronto.

"It's a question of how committed the Lakers are to competing again," Lee said. "If everyone else stood still, you could see what happens when a piece is missing, but the reality is teams out there are positioning themselves to be competitive. When other teams are getting better, you can't afford to rest on your laurels."

qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:09 AM   #2
TryToBeUnbias
Decent college freshman

Default Re: Ariza Won't Take Hometown Discount?

well looks like keeping ariza may be a tad bit more difficult
TryToBeUnbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:49 AM   #3
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

This purty much goes along with what I expected.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:02 AM   #4
alexthegod
Local High School Star

His agent is trying to create a market that isnt there. The fact is that only 6 teams have a payroll of less than 51 mil and these are the only teams that can offer Ariza more than the MLE. Lets look at them

MIN - Depending on how the new numbers come out probably can only offer Ariza about .5 mil more per yer. He'll stay home over going to Minny.

POR -They already have Outlaw (4 mil) and Batum (1.2 mil) under contract. I dont see that Ariza is enough of an upgrade to warrant paying big $$ to Ariza.

TOR - Still has to sign Marion and he plays in Arizas spot. If Marion bolts (unlikely in my opinon) then TOR may go hard for him

ATL - Has quite a bit of cap room, but PG is first priority. Bibby, Miller, Kidd? Childress also could come back. After that I dont know if ATL ponies up more than the MLE for Ariza

OKC -Has a ton of money to spend, but have Jeff Green at the SF. Ariza would fill a 6th man role. you dont want your 6th man macking big bucks!

DET - Is the biggest threat to pony up for Trevor if they trade Tayshaun Prince. They have 26 mil to spend as it stands

MEM - Doesnt spend their money on stars, they certainaly arent going to spend big bucks for Trevor.

After breaking this down I see only DET or ATL making a real play for them. At the end of the day, I dont think anyone except for DET or ATL will offer Trevor more than the MLE. IF any team offers Ariza the MLE, I would think the Lakers will match it. Years is the only thing that could be a problem. I think the Lakers would like to only go three years, would the Lakers match at 5 years? That is the million dollar questions.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:24 AM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Wow....his agent is David Lee also?

This is fukcing ridiculous I hate this guy so much.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
AJ2k8
Banned

haha typical manager talk... He'll resign with LA, what he loses in contract will most likely be gained in sponsorship deals etc.
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
WiltTheStilt
I brick open layups

David Lee is a agent and a **** tard
WiltTheStilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

Mitch will do the right thing even if Ariza leave the squad....
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
traditionone
High school junior varsity star

Toronto also wants to bring back Carlos Delfino and Anthony Parker to team with Marion and Derozan on the wing.

Batum is a cheaper version of Ariza. I don't think Portland will look to give Ariza the contract he wants. Plus, they need to look at upgrading their point gaurd position.

I still expect the Lakers will bring Odom and Ariza back. There are a few scenarios that if they unfold, will have me worried. Will Portland go after Ariza if they trade Blake and Outlaw for a veteran point guard? Will Detroit pursue Odom if they don't sign Boozer and/or Hedo?
traditionone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #10
23ajay
LA champions again

good thing they got money from the knicks
23ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #11
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod
His agent is trying to create a market that isnt there. The fact is that only 6 teams have a payroll of less than 51 mil and these are the only teams that can offer Ariza more than the MLE. Lets look at them

MIN - Depending on how the new numbers come out probably can only offer Ariza about .5 mil more per yer. He'll stay home over going to Minny.

POR -They already have Outlaw (4 mil) and Batum (1.2 mil) under contract. I dont see that Ariza is enough of an upgrade to warrant paying big $$ to Ariza.

TOR - Still has to sign Marion and he plays in Arizas spot. If Marion bolts (unlikely in my opinon) then TOR may go hard for him

ATL - Has quite a bit of cap room, but PG is first priority. Bibby, Miller, Kidd? Childress also could come back. After that I dont know if ATL ponies up more than the MLE for Ariza

OKC -Has a ton of money to spend, but have Jeff Green at the SF. Ariza would fill a 6th man role. you dont want your 6th man macking big bucks!

DET - Is the biggest threat to pony up for Trevor if they trade Tayshaun Prince. They have 26 mil to spend as it stands

MEM - Doesnt spend their money on stars, they certainaly arent going to spend big bucks for Trevor.

After breaking this down I see only DET or ATL making a real play for them. At the end of the day, I dont think anyone except for DET or ATL will offer Trevor more than the MLE. IF any team offers Ariza the MLE, I would think the Lakers will match it. Years is the only thing that could be a problem. I think the Lakers would like to only go three years, would the Lakers match at 5 years? That is the million dollar questions.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

good post.
I think there are only 4 teams under the cap? I don't see any of them looking to pay Ariza starter-money. imo, he is a $6m per player. Hedo will command starter-money.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
triangleoffense
Lakers 14-15 go

Dump Ariza.. Resign Odom. Ariza is already talking about money? Odom hasn't once brought up the subject.. Odom such a standup guy, not to mention all the personal stuff he had to deal with.

Give the man his due
triangleoffense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangleoffense
Dump Ariza.. Resign Odom. Ariza is already talking about money? Odom hasn't once brought up the subject.. Odom such a standup guy, not to mention all the personal stuff he had to deal with.

Give the man his due

And give back the starting position to Luke Walton? Please no
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
big tuna
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangleoffense

Give the man his due
odom was making starter/superstar money - you think he still commands that? this is positioning for upcoming negotiations... if david lee didn't do this then he wouldn't have a job
big tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #15
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
And give back the starting position to Luke Walton? Please no
Thats worst "Luke is a scrub and should be the 12-13 man of the bench..
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: