Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default LA Daily News Season Review

They will be discussing one player each day for the next week or so. I'll post the article and you guys can discuss as it goes along. If somebody else sees the site has been updated feel free to add it to the thread.
First off Trevor
http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/

Quote:
By Elliott Teaford on June 22, 2009

OVERVIEW: Small forward Trevor Ariza became a starter in March, after it became clear that he was better suited to the role than Luke Walton. Ariza told Lakers coach Phil Jackson he wasn't comfortable as a starter, but all that changed in mid-March. Ariza averaged 8.9 points, 4.3 rebounds and 1.8 assists in 82 games during the regular season, including 20 starts. He then averaged 11.3 points, 4.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists during the playoffs, making him an attractive free agent. The Lakers hope to bring him back next season, believing his best years are still to come. It won't be easy to re-sign him, however. His improvement, particularly in his perimeter game, was eye-catching. Expect plenty of other teams to go after Ariza when free agency begins next month. Former Westchester High and UCLA standout wants to stay in Los Angeles, however.

STRENGTHS: Worked hard to improve his 3-point range,making it a weapon.

WEAKNESS: Needs to avoid temptation to go for steals at every chance.
GRADE: A.
CONTRACT STATUS: Unrestricted free agent July 1.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: LA Daily News Season Review

Shannon Brown
By Elliott Teaford on June 23, 2009
Quote:
OVERVIEW: Reserve guard Shannon Brown joined the Lakers after a Feb. 7 trade from the Charlotte Bobcats. He made an immediate impression with his athleticism and his leaping ability, in particular. He isn't necessarily a point guard or a shooting guard, but a combo guard. That's OK in the triangle offense because any perimeter player can set things in motion with one pass. Brown picked up the triangle quickly, averaging 3.2 points, 1.1 rebounds and 0.6 assists in 18 games after the trade. He also averaged 4.9 points, 1.2 rebounds and 0.6 assists in 21 playoff games. He showed a knack for getting open on the perimeter and making jump shots. He also displayed an ability to defy the rules of gravity while dunking and blocking shots, becoming a fan favorite.

QUOTEWORTHY: "I think they're very interested in having me back. I want to be back."

STRENGTH: Overall athleticism.

WEAKNESS: Still a bit of a raw talent.

GRADE: Incomplete because he wasn't with the team for a full season.

CONTRACT STATUS: Unrestricted free agent July 1.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This is great gts thank you for posting all of this.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
JetDeveloper
I airball my layups

JetDeveloper has an OK reputation so far

That's a pretty nice site. I will keep checking it over the next few days.
JetDeveloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:34 AM   #5
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

thanks for the heads up GTS... I usually only pick up the LA TIMES but the daily news only sporadically. I usually only get the Daily News if I know there is particular Laker content that I want to read while at work.. so thanks for the info...
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:40 AM   #6
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
thanks for the heads up GTS... I usually only pick up the LA TIMES but the daily news only sporadically. I usually only get the Daily News if I know there is particular Laker content that I want to read while at work.. so thanks for the info...
whoa slow down cowboy...lol i don't know if it's in the news stand issue, it's the daily news lakers online blog that i linked to, so beware before you drop that .50 cents...lol or is it .75 now?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
gts
Sons of Antartica

Kobe Bryant
By Elliott Teaford on June 24

Quote:
OVERVIEW: Shooting guard Kobe Bryant had another superb individual season, but it was his continued maturity as a team leader that stood out above his scoring average in 2008-09. Bryant led the Lakers to the NBA championship, pushing and prodding his teammates rather than waging war against them. He averaged 26.8 points in 82 games, his lowest since he averaged 24 points in 2003-04. He then averaged 30.2 points in the playoffs, guiding the Lakers past the Orlando Magic in five games. Bryant has an early termination clause in his contract, which means he could be a free agent at the end of the month. He said he's not going anywhere, deflecting repeated questioning about his future with the Lakers. He said it wasn't worth his time to discuss it.

QUOTEWORTHY: "Having gone through what we went through last year and having the goal in mind of trying to get back to this point, and to have the attitude of (trying) to become a better defensive team, a better rebounding team, and then to actually do it and to see it all happen, it feels like I'm dreaming right now."

STRENGTH: Leading his team with deeds and words.

WEAKNESS: Still can do more to ignore calls and non-calls of referees.

GRADE: A.

CONTRACT STATUS: Signed through 2010-11, but can terminate his deal June 30.

They also have a sidebar updated with Ramona Shelburne's Lakers Twitter feed
Old 06-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
gts
Sons of Antartica

Andrew Bynum
By Elliott Teaford on June 25
Quote:
OVERVIEW: Center Andrew Bynum seemed to be on the verge on a breakthrough season (again) when he suffered a midseason knee injury (again) during a game against the Memphis Grizzlies (again). Bynum sat out 32 games after tearing the medial collateral ligament in his right knee one season after injuring his left kneecap. He averaged 14.3 points and eight rebounds in 50 games, but struggled in the playoffs after his return from his injury. He averaged only 6.3 points and 3.7 rebounds in the postseason, getting into frequent foul trouble and looking a step slow in the first three rounds. He then gave the Lakers an inside presence in their Finals victory over the Orlando Magic that they lacked while losing without him in 2008 against the Boston Celtics.

QUOTEWORTHY: "(Coach Phil Jackson and GM Mitch Kupchak) basically told me they want me to do the same things I did last year (in the offseason). They play more games, find some runs, maybe at UCLA (this summer)."

STRENGTH: When he's healthy, his development is in the right direction.

WEAKNESS: Development has been slowed by injuries.

GRADE: Incomplete because of his latest injury.

CONTRACT STATUS: Signed through 2011-12 with a team option on 2012-13.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
gts
Sons of Antartica

Jordan Farmar
By Elliott Teaford

Quote:
OVERVIEW: Reserve guard Jordan Farmar didn't produce as he did in 2007-08, which led to a cut in minutes, which led to a further drop in scoring. At one point, Farmar hardly played at all as Shannon Brown took his minutes. Late in the season, Farmar went to the coaches and apologized for letting his frustration get the better of him. The coaches were said to be impressed, taking it as a sign of maturity. Farmar ended the regular season averaging 6.4 points (down from 9.1 last season) in 65 games (down from 82). He sat out 17 games after undergoing left knee surgery Dec. 24 and never regained a consistent rhythm. He averaged 4.7 points in 20 playoff games, including one start while Derek Fisher was suspended for one game in the second-round series against Houston.

QUOTEWORTHY: "I want to win a championship and if that means I play five minutes or twenty minutes, I'll do it."

STRENGTH: Brash and confident.

WEAKNESS: Sometimes too brash and too confident for his own good.

GRADE: C.

CONTRACT STATUS: Signed through 2009-10.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

So gts, I always trust your insight....what do you think is gonna happen? Will Fish start again? Do the lakes trade for a starting PG?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #11
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
So gts, I always trust your insight....what do you think is gonna happen? Will Fish start again? Do the lakes trade for a starting PG?
no clue, i think we'll have better insight into the offseason when we see what happens with trevor lamar and brown, their spots on the team or openings should any of them go someplace else will dictate alot of how the front office looks at the rest of the roster
Old 06-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #12
gts
Sons of Antartica

Derek Fisher
By Elliott Teaford on June 27, 2009

Quote:
OVERVIEW: Point guard Derek Fisher delivered when it mattered most, when the Lakers needed a big basket or two against the Orlando Magic in Game 4 of the NBA Finals. He tied the score with only seconds to play and then gave the team the lead for good in overtime with a pair of 3-pointers that will go down in Lakers lore. Things went according to plan, with Fisher playing a key role when it was needed in the playoffs. He averaged only 9.9 points in 29.8 minutes during 82 regular-season games, but increased his averages to 11 points in 36 minutes during the Finals. The game plan probably will be the same next season, with Fisher playing limited minutes during the regular season and then boosting his playing time during the playoffs. It was a winning formula in 2008-09.

QUOTEWORTHY: "I know there were times people would question whether we were taking it serious enough, and if we had what it took to get this done, but we really did have a lot of fun working together."

STRENGTH: Remarkable ability to hit big shots in the clutch.

WEAKNESS: Turns 35 in August.

GRADE: B.

CONTRACT STATUS: Signed through 2009-10.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Thats a fair grade for fisher. I'd like to keep him but I don't want to rely on him more and more. I feel like he's finished as a starter.

maybe he can give us 20 mpg off the bench next season and the season after that if he stays.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #14
momo
Value Ape.

momo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
STRENGTH: Brash and confident.

WEAKNESS: Sometimes too brash and too confident for his own good.

Hehe, I love that one. I sort of forgot that Farmer J was injured... I wonder if he looks better after a full offseason on sound legs.
momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #15
triangleoffense
Lakers 14-15 go

triangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

uh how did Derek "saved the lakers in game 4 of the finals" Fisher get a B?

also they are pretty spot on with Shannon Brown, I think we need him back more than the Lakers think
triangleoffense is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: