Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 06-30-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

detsportsfan3 has an OK reputation so far
Default Free Agent Targets

Boozer will be with Utah next season so who do you guys want to go after/who do you think we will get? I have heard rumors for David Lee, Villanueva, Okur, Gordon, Turkoglu, Gortat, Ariza, and Millsap. Anyone else? I think we can pretty much mix and match any two of these guys if we dump Oberto. I'm not too upset over the Boozer thing since he would cost $4m more than any of these guys. I would personally love getting Lee or Villanueva.
detsportsfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Kombo
:)

Kombo has decent reputationKombo has decent reputation
Default Re: Free Agent Targets

Until the Curry firing, I thought we would end up trading Hamilton for Boozer. I feel that is unlikely now, as this might of been a move to keep Hamilton happy.

With Boozer opting to stay with the Jazz, I feel that either Millsap or Okur will be gone. I think they'll try to keep Okur as it gives them more size than a Millsap/Boozer front line.

I also don't think we'll look at the SF(Turk and Ariza) as we just drafted three.

That would leave Millsap, Lee, Villanueva, Gordon.

If Rip stays, would Gordon want to be a sixth man? He can do that in Chicago and but might get less minutes this year if Deng is happy, moving John Salmons to the two more frequently for a bigger line up. If Chicago moves Heinrich this wouldn't be an issue at all. If we low ball Gordon, he'll probably resign with Chicago, which would be a good thing in my mind. I'd like to see Afflalo get more minutes this year.

So that leaves Millsap, Lee and Villanueva. All play the four, each could be had for about 7-8m/year.

Sorry these are just my ramblings during my finance course... let me out early please.
Kombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Okur decided to stay too. I don't think any team was willing to offer Boozer more than the 13 million he was going to make next season. The only thing they could offer him was a multiyear deal. Rather than paying him 15 million I would rather sit on the cash until 2010 if we really had to.

With that said I think David Lee is someone to go after anyway. He's young and I think he's been under rated for a while. If we could snag him for under 10 million per season it would be worth it.

Gortat is someone I would want for the right price too. Again he's really young and could be a defensive presence in the middle for a while.

With that said, I would much rather make a trade with our money. We could go after someone like Chris Bosh and offer him an extension. Also I don't think adding David Lee and Gortat is enough to make us a championship caliber team. We would be a good team but not elite. For us to be a championship caliber team we need a blockbuster trade or we need to sit on our cash and wait until 2010 and try to get a superstar.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
Attila
National High School Star

Attila is a pretty well-respected posterAttila is a pretty well-respected posterAttila is a pretty well-respected posterAttila is a pretty well-respected poster

Just read that Hedo is now the number one priority.
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...gordon_second/
Attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:14 AM   #5
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm not sure why a SF and a SG are our top 2 priorities. We have those already. We need a PF and a C. Unless Joe D has some kind of crazy trade lined up I just don't see how this works.

Under sized back courts do not work in the NBA. Ben Gordon will not lead any team to a championship. If we look back at the champions in the NBA in the past 20 years all of them had bigger shooting gaurds with two exceptions. One was D. Wade and Gordon certainly doesn't have that talent. The next would be Joe D. way back when it was the Bad Boys. Now I'm kinda seeing why Joe D. is so enamoured with Gordon. They are the same size. Gordon shoots well. Here's the thing. Joe D. played amazing D so that made up for his lack of height. Gordon doesn't play any. Iverson already failed here. Gordon is the same type of player. To pay him more money than Rip makes is insane.

If we sign Hedo he is not a PF. Rashard played the PF spot. Mainly because Hedo can't play D on the PF's in the league. Tay won't be able to either, at least not for a whole game. Those two won't be able to play on the court at the same time.

If Joe D is going to get one of them let it be Hedo and he can trade Tay for a PF. Maybe he thinks he can land Bosh or Amare if he trades Tay. In which case a Stuckey, Rip, Hedo, Bosh, ??? lineup is pretty good. We have to remember Hedo is 30 and a short term solution that will probably get a long term contract though. Also a lineup with Gordon in it is essentially worse than what the Bulls have right now, especially with the trade they made with Sacramento this past season. Joe D is really walking a thin line with this one. This offseason could make or break this franchise for quite some time.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Apparently Blazers offered Hedo a 5 year, $50m contract. If so then corss him off our list. I heard Gordon and Villanueva are the top targets now and are in town.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
dd24
College superstar

Portland will be a scary team if they pick him up. They would be able to get out of the first round for sure. I'd much rather sign him and trade Tay than to sign Gordon and trade Rip. If we end up with Gordon and Villanueva we're going to be a bad team for quite some time. Compare:

Chauncey
Rip
Tay
Sheed
Big Ben

to

Stuckey
Gordon
Tay
Villanueva
Kwame

It's not even close to a championship caliber team. I'm not even sure if it's enough to make the playoffs in the east. What is Joe D thinking? We could be bound for the lottery unless he is planning on a trade of some sort.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Portland will be a scary team if they pick him up. They would be able to get out of the first round for sure. I'd much rather sign him and trade Tay than to sign Gordon and trade Rip. If we end up with Gordon and Villanueva we're going to be a bad team for quite some time. Compare:

Chauncey
Rip
Tay
Sheed
Big Ben

to

Stuckey
Gordon
Tay
Villanuev
Kwame

It's not even close to a championship caliber team. I'm not even sure if it's enough to make the playoffs in the east. What is Joe D thinking? We could be bound for the lottery unless he is planning on a trade of some sort.

Maybe.... where is Rip on the second roster though? You didn't factor in what we would get for him, probably someone in the Boozer quality range, so it would be more like

Stuckey
Gordon
Tay
Villanueva
Boozer (yeah I know he is not center just stick with me here)

Which probably sucks **** the first year due to chemistry but they make the playoffs. But Gordon and Villanueva are young and getting better every year, and Stuckey is supposed to be a stud apparently, give that team a couple of years and that is one kick *** roster. Yeah, I think tay has closed to reached his potential for Detroit, I feel he would be much better on another team and I wouldn't mind seeing him leave for his own sake.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Kombo
:)

Kombo has decent reputationKombo has decent reputation

My 2K roster atm...

Stuckey / Gordon / Prince / Boozer / Chandler

I suck with Boozer, can only really run pick and rolls and 1v1 in the low post. Need to learn that high post game...
Kombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by detsportsfan3
Maybe.... where is Rip on the second roster though? You didn't factor in what we would get for him, probably someone in the Boozer quality range, so it would be more like

Stuckey
Gordon
Tay
Villanueva
Boozer (yeah I know he is not center just stick with me here)

Which probably sucks **** the first year due to chemistry but they make the playoffs. But Gordon and Villanueva are young and getting better every year, and Stuckey is supposed to be a stud apparently, give that team a couple of years and that is one kick *** roster. Yeah, I think tay has closed to reached his potential for Detroit, I feel he would be much better on another team and I wouldn't mind seeing him leave for his own sake.

True, I was thinking of someone like Chandler, which I should have put in there. I like change but this drastic stuff that Joe D is gonna do just doesn't seem necessary to me. If Chauncey wasn't injured in that series against the Celtics we very well could have been in the finals again. To overhaul a team like that seems crazy to me.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
True, I was thinking of someone like Chandler, which I should have put in there. I like change but this drastic stuff that Joe D is gonna do just doesn't seem necessary to me. If Chauncey wasn't injured in that series against the Celtics we very well could have been in the finals again. To overhaul a team like that seems crazy to me.

Right, but it is too late to change that now. Sheed is gone, and billups is gone along with the insanely good chemistry we had for a good 4 years. I mean Stuckey came in way too early, Rip was forced to sit on the bench and got in trouble with the coach, Sheed never got along with coaches, Dice was starting after years on the bench, new players were starting, last year just really killed the chemistry that the team had. I never really understood why we gave up or kinda broke apart the team. We were so close for the last years with the core that we had. I'm sure we could've traded some bench players+picks for an awesome starter and been the favorites in the league.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:15 PM   #12
dd24
College superstar

I know, just from the outside looking in with the cap space we had it seems like things could have been turned around for next year so we could be contenders instead of pretenders. Now things are starting to look like we will be rebuilding for the next 5-10 years which is very disappointing.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:24 AM   #13
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

So, the Salary Cap is 57.7 Million...

Current 09-10 Payroll: (Without BG/CV) $38,700,777. Amount left: $18,900,223.

Last edited by detsportsfan3 : 07-11-2009 at 01:30 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: