Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-30-2009, 11:44 PM   #16
RocketGreatness
Banned

RocketGreatness has an incredible reputation hereRocketGreatness has an incredible reputation hereRocketGreatness has an incredible reputation hereRocketGreatness has an incredible reputation hereRocketGreatness has an incredible reputation hereRocketGreatness has an incredible reputation hereRocketGreatness has an incredible reputation hereRocketGreatness has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Do you take people who use bad grammar less seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton
No. Grammar shmammar. White Chocolate and Gifted Mind have great grammar but they're the two most inane minds on this entire board. Kblaze has some of the worst and he's one of the most compelling minds I've encountered here or anywhere else.

Sentence structure and clarity are more important than what you capitalize, how you spell what, whether you know how to use "whom," where you put your apostrophe's, etc. Guys whose thoughts aren't clear or well-organized usually don't really have well-formed opinions. Not always, but often that's the case. I can't help but take them less seriously. Of course often the most ostensibly clear and concise guys are the most wrong - take Rush Limbaugh for instance, who is nothing if not clear and followable.
Regardless you would have to think a guy who uses bad grammar a young person. Like the examples I've shown. It sounds like a very young teenager or a pre-teen for that matter. KBlaze makes some grammar mistakes, but It's not very noticeable.

But as Others said, IF you can read it and they are just small mistakes it is fine. If they are extremely noticeable and hard to read then it's hard to take them seriously.
RocketGreatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:48 PM   #17
supersmashbros
Good college starter

supersmashbros is considered somewhat coolsupersmashbros is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGreatness
Here are examples of what I mean by bad grammar along with bad punctuation

-Lolz u r teh ghey
-Wtf u dissin' me n00b?
-r u fucking kidnz miz?
-wtf is dis shit mang?
-there screwed
It's r the Internets, so bad grammar r da rule! No grammer coz grammar r onlyiest for school and formist writterings.
supersmashbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:48 PM   #18
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It is a horrible way to judge someone, and I am not just saying that because my grammar sucks...

Lebron and Kobe themselves could come in here and start posting and they would be the worst posters here if you just judged people from that...
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:49 PM   #19
supersmashbros
Good college starter

supersmashbros is considered somewhat coolsupersmashbros is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
It is a horrible way to judge someone, and I am not just saying that because my grammar sucks...

Lebron and Kobe themselves could come in here and start posting and they would be the worst posters here if you just judged people from that...
Why do you say that? I've heard Lebron has terrible grammar though.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:52 PM   #20
AtticusPigeon11
High School JV MVP

AtticusPigeon11 is considered somewhat coolAtticusPigeon11 is considered somewhat cool

Damn.

Clifton stole the words right out of my mouth.

On a sidenote, baseketball4life, canadianballer, brantonli and V-Unit are relatively bright teens that don't give a flying f*ck how they write.
AtticusPigeon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:53 PM   #21
Clifton
talk less, say more

Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Regardless you would have to think a guy who uses bad grammar a young person. Like the examples I've shown. It sounds like a very young teenager or a pre-teen for that matter.
The reason for that is that grown-ups grew up without the internet, so the only reason they ever had to write was when they were composing something formal. Writing, to them, is derived from that. So when they write on the internet they retain those habits.

People my generation and younger use writing as informal communication via a keyboard, and spontaneously. There's really no good reason to write formally when it's informal and spontaneous - even adults, in speech, even if they know better, will usually speak colloquially so as not to appear smug, or different, or stilted, or whatever.

So yes someone who uses bad grammar is probably a young person, but not necessarily a dumb person. When I exchange facebook wall posts with my friends who go to fancy schools you've heard of and are impressed by, they definitely don't capitalize, they write very informally and sloppily, because that's how you talk on AIM / facebook / etc. To do otherwise is uncommon and weird. And even though I type the "right" way in informal settings like that, when I see other people do it, the word "uncomfortable" flashes in my mind in relation to them, i.e. "this person is uncomfortable with this medium." I'm sure people think the same of me.

A message board is a little different because it is more like composition than the casual back and forth of facebook and AIM. But the same thing holds. Yeah it means they're younger, but young people are way smarter than they're given credit for, as a group.

I really didn't intend to write a f*cking book on this, but these things happen.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:54 PM   #22
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmashbros
Why do you say that? I've heard Lebron has terrible grammar though.

because they are athletes, not Harvard grads, it is safe to assume that the majority of the players in the NBA have poor grammar...

to be honest, a few of the posters here that try to go out of their way to show off their vocabulary skills just come off geeky to me at times...

I mean even though I only visit the main forum like once a month now I still consider this a sports forum...

Last edited by ~primetime~ : 06-30-2009 at 11:56 PM.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #23
supersmashbros
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
because they are athletes, not Harvard grads, it is safe to assume that the majority of the players in the NBA have poor grammar...

to be honest, a few of the posters here that try to go out of their way to show off their vocabulary skills just come off geeky to me some times...

I mean even though I only visit the main forum like once a month now I still consider this a sports forum...
In thate case, aye think you can post in worstest grammar possible 4 the sake of lolz. I think posting in baddest grammers r funniest indeedie.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:26 AM   #24
lolwut
I tip for good cervix.

lolwut has decent reputationlolwut has decent reputation

If you can't use their, there, and they're properly I'm going to vomit on your e-life temporarily just because it bothers me

that goes for your and you're too
lolwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:30 AM   #25
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticusPigeon11
Damn.

Clifton stole the words right out of my mouth.

On a sidenote, baseketball4life, canadianballer, brantonli and V-Unit are relatively bright teens that don't give a flying f*ck how they write.
Come on now, how long are you going to do this?

I do lose a lot of respect for people who can't spell or type well.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:34 AM   #26
Erudus
RIP Canadianballer

Erudus is starting to rub some people the wrong wayErudus is starting to rub some people the wrong way

hey vapid u chirpdeck as it stands im smarter than u ive posted my grades so how bout u post urs?

as it stands im smarter than u guy

i dont care bout grammer its kinda gay to care how u write on the internet this aint grammer 101 class

_FREE CANADIANBALLER_
Erudus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:35 AM   #27
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

On the internet it doesn't bother me so much. I don't always exhibit proper grammar.

In real life it's more telling.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:59 AM   #28
oh the horror
7-time NBA All-Star

oh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGreatness
Here are examples of what I mean by bad grammar along with bad punctuation

-Lolz u r teh ghey
-Wtf u dissin' me n00b?
-r u fucking kidnz miz?
-wtf is dis shit mang?
-there screwed

Depends on their subject matter. At times you can tell when someone is generally bright, yet a poor speller. I dont judge too harshly based on that alone, but when someone is just a flat out moron, AND they have poor grammar? Yeah, I do not take them seriously.
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:04 AM   #29
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If you can't communicate properly, then don't.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:10 AM   #30
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix18
In fourth grade, we had weekly spelling tests. The teacher would say each word aloud and give about 30 seconds to write it down. So, one week she gives us there,they're, and their without using it in a damn sentence.

That reminds me of a Spelling Bee competition, the judge said, 'Spell weather', and the contestant asked if it could be used in a sentence. The judge said, 'I don't know whether the weather will be good today'. She lost

AtticusPigeon11, lol, I try to make my sentences as coherent as possible, but clearly you disagree
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: