Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 11:48 PM   #16
supersmashbros
Good college starter
 
supersmashbros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NBA Land
Posts: 3,030
Default Re: Do you take people who use bad grammar less seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGreatness
Here are examples of what I mean by bad grammar along with bad punctuation

-Lolz u r teh ghey
-Wtf u dissin' me n00b?
-r u fucking kidnz miz?
-wtf is dis shit mang?
-there screwed
It's r the Internets, so bad grammar r da rule! No grammer coz grammar r onlyiest for school and formist writterings.
supersmashbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:48 PM   #17
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 18,552
Default Re: Do you take people who use bad grammar less seriously?

It is a horrible way to judge someone, and I am not just saying that because my grammar sucks...

Lebron and Kobe themselves could come in here and start posting and they would be the worst posters here if you just judged people from that...
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:49 PM   #18
supersmashbros
Good college starter
 
supersmashbros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NBA Land
Posts: 3,030
Default Re: Do you take people who use bad grammar less seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
It is a horrible way to judge someone, and I am not just saying that because my grammar sucks...

Lebron and Kobe themselves could come in here and start posting and they would be the worst posters here if you just judged people from that...
Why do you say that? I've heard Lebron has terrible grammar though.
supersmashbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:52 PM   #19
AtticusPigeon11
Dunking on everybody in the park
 
AtticusPigeon11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 645
Default Re: Do you take people who use bad grammar less seriously?

Damn.

Clifton stole the words right out of my mouth.

On a sidenote, baseketball4life, canadianballer, brantonli and V-Unit are relatively bright teens that don't give a flying f*ck how they write.
AtticusPigeon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:53 PM   #20
Clifton
talk less, say more
 
Clifton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,612
Default Re: Do you take people who use bad grammar less seriously?

Quote:
Regardless you would have to think a guy who uses bad grammar a young person. Like the examples I've shown. It sounds like a very young teenager or a pre-teen for that matter.
The reason for that is that grown-ups grew up without the internet, so the only reason they ever had to write was when they were composing something formal. Writing, to them, is derived from that. So when they write on the internet they retain those habits.

People my generation and younger use writing as informal communication via a keyboard, and spontaneously. There's really no good reason to write formally when it's informal and spontaneous - even adults, in speech, even if they know better, will usually speak colloquially so as not to appear smug, or different, or stilted, or whatever.

So yes someone who uses bad grammar is probably a young person, but not necessarily a dumb person. When I exchange facebook wall posts with my friends who go to fancy schools you've heard of and are impressed by, they definitely don't capitalize, they write very informally and sloppily, because that's how you talk on AIM / facebook / etc. To do otherwise is uncommon and weird. And even though I type the "right" way in informal settings like that, when I see other people do it, the word "uncomfortable" flashes in my mind in relation to them, i.e. "this person is uncomfortable with this medium." I'm sure people think the same of me.

A message board is a little different because it is more like composition than the casual back and forth of facebook and AIM. But the same thing holds. Yeah it means they're younger, but young people are way smarter than they're given credit for, as a group.

I really didn't intend to write a f*cking book on this, but these things happen.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:54 PM   #21
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 18,552
Default Re: Do you take people who use bad grammar less seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmashbros
Why do you say that? I've heard Lebron has terrible grammar though.

because they are athletes, not Harvard grads, it is safe to assume that the majority of the players in the NBA have poor grammar...



to be honest, a few of the posters here that try to go out of their way to show off their vocabulary skills just come off geeky to me at times...

I mean even though I only visit the main forum like once a month now I still consider this a sports forum...

Last edited by ~primetime~ : 06-30-2009 at 11:56 PM.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #22
supersmashbros
Good college starter
 
supersmashbros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NBA Land
Posts: 3,030
Default Re: Do you take people who use bad grammar less seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
because they are athletes, not Harvard grads, it is safe to assume that the majority of the players in the NBA have poor grammar...



to be honest, a few of the posters here that try to go out of their way to show off their vocabulary skills just come off geeky to me some times...

I mean even though I only visit the main forum like once a month now I still consider this a sports forum...
In thate case, aye think you can post in worstest grammar possible 4 the sake of lolz. I think posting in baddest grammers r funniest indeedie.
supersmashbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:26 AM   #23
lolwut
I tip for good cervix.
 
lolwut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,745
Default Re: Do you take people who use bad grammar less seriously?

If you can't use their, there, and they're properly I'm going to vomit on your e-life temporarily just because it bothers me


that goes for your and you're too
lolwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:30 AM   #24
vapid
Paranoid Android
 
vapid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: London/California/Asia
Posts: 8,542
Default Re: Do you take people who use bad grammar less seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticusPigeon11
Damn.

Clifton stole the words right out of my mouth.

On a sidenote, baseketball4life, canadianballer, brantonli and V-Unit are relatively bright teens that don't give a flying f*ck how they write.
Come on now, how long are you going to do this?

I do lose a lot of respect for people who can't spell or type well.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:34 AM   #25
Erudus
RIP Canadianballer
 
Erudus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 521
Default Re: Do you take people who use bad grammar less seriously?

hey vapid u chirpdeck as it stands im smarter than u ive posted my grades so how bout u post urs?

as it stands im smarter than u guy

i dont care bout grammer its kinda gay to care how u write on the internet this aint grammer 101 class


_FREE CANADIANBALLER_
Erudus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:35 AM   #26
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name
 
MarloStanfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,425
Default Re: Do you take people who use bad grammar less seriously?

On the internet it doesn't bother me so much. I don't always exhibit proper grammar.

In real life it's more telling.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:59 AM   #27
oh the horror
NBA Legend
 
oh the horror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 15,584
Default Re: Do you take people who use bad grammar less seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGreatness
Here are examples of what I mean by bad grammar along with bad punctuation

-Lolz u r teh ghey
-Wtf u dissin' me n00b?
-r u fucking kidnz miz?
-wtf is dis shit mang?
-there screwed


Depends on their subject matter. At times you can tell when someone is generally bright, yet a poor speller. I dont judge too harshly based on that alone, but when someone is just a flat out moron, AND they have poor grammar? Yeah, I do not take them seriously.
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:04 AM   #28
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.
 
bdreason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 25,313
Default Re: Do you take people who use bad grammar less seriously?

If you can't communicate properly, then don't.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:10 AM   #29
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!
 
brantonli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 13433 km from Land of 2 Rings
Posts: 6,341
Default Re: Do you take people who use bad grammar less seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix18
In fourth grade, we had weekly spelling tests. The teacher would say each word aloud and give about 30 seconds to write it down. So, one week she gives us there,they're, and their without using it in a damn sentence.

That reminds me of a Spelling Bee competition, the judge said, 'Spell weather', and the contestant asked if it could be used in a sentence. The judge said, 'I don't know whether the weather will be good today'. She lost


AtticusPigeon11, lol, I try to make my sentences as coherent as possible, but clearly you disagree
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:46 AM   #30
nbastatus
Doodle
 
nbastatus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 6,988
Default Re: Do you take people who use bad grammar less seriously?

mine is pretty bad
nbastatus is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy