Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-01-2009, 04:10 AM   #16
halffttime
shorty doowop

Default Re: Improving on English skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli
Capitalise god damnit, CAPITALISE!

When I was young(er), I used to listen to audio books, great way of picking up vocabulary and grammar.

strong advise coming from mistah spellah himself..
halffttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:14 AM   #17
quasimoto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by halffttime
Capitalise is British spelling.

Watching tv helps for foreigners btw, at least if they don't overdub the shows in your country. I could already express myself in English when I was 8 or so thanks to the Simpsons.

Last edited by quasimoto : 07-01-2009 at 04:18 AM.
quasimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:15 AM   #18
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halffttime

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/capitalise
Quote:
–verb (used with object) 1. to write or print in capital letters or with an initial capital.
2. to authorize a certain amount of stocks and bonds in the corporate charter of: to capitalize a corporation.
3. to issue stock as a dividend, thereby capitalizing retained earnings, or as settlement of an unpaid arrearage of preferred dividends.
4. Accounting. to set up (expenditures) as business assets in the books of account instead of treating as expense.
5. to supply with capital.
6. to estimate the value of (a stock or an enterprise).

–verb (used without object) 7. to take advantage of; turn something to one's advantage (often fol. by on): to capitalize on one's opportunities.

Also, especially British, cap⋅i⋅tal⋅ise.

brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:27 AM   #19
halffttime
shorty doowop

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli

Quote:
Definitions of capitalize on the Web:

- draw advantages from; "he is capitalizing on her mistake"; "she took advantage of his absence to meet her lover"
- supply with capital, as of a business by using a combination of capital used by investors and debt capital provided by lenders
- write in capital letters
- compute the present value of a business or an income
- consider expenditures as capital assets rather than expenses
- convert (a company's reserve funds) into capital

let's agree to a draw chap..
halffttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:34 AM   #20
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
To start, I'd like to get some tips on and guidance towards improving my english skills. I need assistance with grammar, sentence structure, reading skills, and verb conjugation. I would really appreciate if you could link me to a website(s) that might help me. I'm currently enrolled in college and need to improve my english skills ASAP.

This may actually be a good way to help you learn the language more efficiently. I hate to go into out-and-out 'teacher mode,' but those that are capable in the language correcting your errors may do a world of good.

For instance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbastatus
alright, i'll do that.
the problem is when i type or write, i still have a habit of making careless grammar mistakes.

All right is actually two words. Over the years, it is accepted to make it one (alright) and even most colleges will not punish you for doing so in term papers, essays, etc., but technically, it is two words.

Also, these are sentence fragments, but since you are posting on a message board, grammar and sentence structure does not have to be perfect.

Here is what this post should look like (forget the 'all right' at the beginning, just to clean it up a bit).

"I'll do that. The problem is that when I type or write, I still have a habit of making careless grammatical mistakes."

If you didn't want to use the clause 'that' to make your sentence grammatically correct, a simple comma will do.

For example...

"The problem is, when I type or write, I still have a bad habit of making careless grammatical errors."

You need either a restrictive clause (that) or commas.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 07-01-2009 at 04:42 AM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #21
shawbryant
To be better

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
This may actually be a good way to help you learn the language more efficiently. I hate to go into out-and-out 'teacher mode,' but those that are capable in the language correcting your errors may do a world of good.

For instance...

All right is actually two words. Over the years, it is accepted to make it one (alright) and even most colleges will not punish you for doing so in term papers, essays, etc., but technically, it is two words.

Also, these are sentence fragments, but since you are posting on a message board, grammar and sentence structure does not have to be perfect.

Here is what this post should look like (forget the 'all right' at the beginning, just to clean it up a bit).

"I'll do that. The problem is that when I type or write, I still have a habit of making careless grammatical mistakes."

If you didn't want to use the clause 'that' to make your sentence grammatically correct, a simple comma will do.

For example...

"The problem is, when I type or write, I still have a bad habit of making careless grammatical errors."

Rep you! Bruce Lee!
shawbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #22
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

it hard to comprestand english. me try to make better iddle by iddle but not always work

Hoodlum Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #23
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

A series of books I use in the classroom are the "English Grammar in Use" series by Raymond Murphy. I haven't tried this link to download it, but you would want the Advanced copy due to the fact you are a native speaker. They are really helpful, I strongly recommend them.

Download PDF here: http://rapidlibrary.com/index.php?q=...ymond+murph y
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #24
supersmashbros
Good college starter

There's a vocabulary exercisebook by the name of Word for Power by Norman Lewis. It helps build vocabulary because not only does it teach all the root words of different words in our language but from learn the meaning behind each root words, you can build vocabulary much faster. I found that book very useful and think you would too.
supersmashbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #25
nbastatus
Doodle

thanks a lot guys.
nbastatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #26
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

you welcome, let me know if you need iddle more help
Old 07-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #27
supersmashbros
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
you welcome, let me know if you need iddle more help
So your 19 eh? You done HS? Yeah without good English, it will be hard to find a good job in an English-speaking country even if you have very good credentials from a foreign country. For example, a lot of foreign doctors or scientists end up with low-paying, unskilled labor here. Which is a shame.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #28
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

all we care 'bout is nana. we no work for monies, just nana. you pay us gooa nana per hour, we bust our ass and work like oxen maked good work for you, just pay us good nana please
Old 07-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #29
nbastatus
Doodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack

For instance...

For example...

oh! thanks for clearing that out.
nbastatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #30
supersmashbros
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
all we care 'bout is nana. we no work for monies, just nana. you pay us gooa nana per hour, we bust our ass and work like oxen maked good work for you, just pay us good nana please
yeah, Nana as in bananas? That makes sense coz your monkey or have monkey tenancies. I am starting to wonder if the person behind this keyboard is actually a super intelligent chimpanzee talking with me
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: