Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 07-04-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
mamba24
read this you homer

Default Upcoming season and minutes for Vets

Lakers seem to have made the move they needed in replacing Ariza...and im sure Odom will stay unless Portland want him, now that Hedo has turned to Toronto.

With Odom and Artest left to sign...the next moves will be to round out the payroll at around 100 mill by trading sasha, morrison and maybe farmar...

Brown is not getting offers over 1 million since teams dont have cap space and the lakers look to retain him.

With all that said...Pau Gasol is playing in the European Championships...and he will be tired.

Phil will need to play him 28-35 mins a game...and play odom more...kobe needs a Legit backup and maybe a sign and trade with NY for Nate robinson does not sound like a bad spark plug...

Morrison + next years pick for nate robinson...our big lineup is steady...Bynum, Mbenga, Pau, Odom, Artest, Luke, Powell

the small lineup is more like kobe, fisher, farmar, brown...
mamba24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
alexthegod
Local High School Star

Default Re: Upcoming season and minutes for Vets

Its waaaaaaaaaay to early to start thinking about minutes for the upcoming season. I want to wait until the roster is set and LO is signed sealed and delivered! LO is the most important piece left to place before getting into the next season.

I expect Nate Robinson to get an MLE offer from a team so its doubtful he will become a Laker. The Lakers dont want to take on more payroll and Robinson isnt the best fit for the Lakers system. Dont see why NY would take on Morrison instead of just offering Robinson the MLE. Morrison has very little trade value until the trade deadline, then he may become an attractive piece.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
dd24
College superstar

I think the rotation will be much like it was this year. The exceptions I see are if they resign Brown I see Phil doing what he did in the playoffs more with the PG spot and that is splitting the minutes somewhat evenly between Brown, Farmar, and Fish. Really that would be a tough matchup for teams too since they all bring something different and they would all be fresh since the minutes would only be in the 20's.

Besides that I think Gasol and Kobe will log pretty high minutes. Odom affects Bynums minutes more than he does Pau's. I think Artest will get his fair share. He's going to have to be that lock down defender that makes LA tough instead of finesse. He'll be in the game because the other teams best player will be and he take them on.

I need to see more from Bynum. This season Lamar was the X factor off the bench. Next season I think it needs to be Bynum as a starter. If he can take pressure off the other guys on both ends of the floor this will be a scary team.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Robster89
Serious playground baller

The payroll will end up about 90, not 100.
We're at about 82 once Artest signs, and I believe LO gets somewhere in the 7-8 range (unless Portland decides to make him a higher offer that the Lakers match). Brown has already been offered a qualifying offer, so if no one offers him more, he ends up with that (a little over 1 mil).
Then the Lakers are done.

That's a sizeable lux tax check Dr. Buss must write, somewhere in the 20 mil range. Reducing the payroll would be great, but highly difficult in this economic atmosphere. I don't think anyone would take on Sasha or Luke's deal. Morrison may have some value as the trade deadline approaches, since his deal expires. Shannon and Farmar will duke it out for back up PG minutes, and if Farmar looses that battle, the Lakers could package him with Morrison at the trade deadline, assuming we could pick up a player of value.

Of course, with Fish's deal expiring next year, the Lakers would prefer that Brown and Farmar play well, and perhaps the PG situation could be solved long term by keeping them both. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.
If Fish has a solid year, and feels he wants to keep playing, we could sign him to a one year deal as well, so lots of options there.

Artest is a player with a motor, so he will play big minutes, and I'm comfortable with the options we have to back him up (Luke, Stache or even Kobe sliding up to the 3 if Sasha could hit the side of a barn).

Pau, Bynum and LO splitting the PT at the 4 and 5, with Powell and Mbenga in reserve, plus, the aforementioned competition for guard minutes will be interesting.

You are right on about Bynum, we really need him to be a defensive/rebounding/shotblocking beast, more than a scorer in the post.
I hope now that he has his big contract, he will, like Kobe, Pau, LO and hopefully Artest, subjugate his individual game for the good of the team.

Last edited by Robster89 : 07-04-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
triangleoffense
Lakers 14-15 go

If we happen to keep Ammo around I say give Ammo and Luke more minutes during the regular season once we build up a lead and then save Fisher and Ron Ron for the playoffs. Odom as well since he played with a hurt back for the entire playoffs for 2 years straight.
triangleoffense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

I'm so happy that we got Artest because Kobe can get WAY more rest

I'm pretty confident a team of Artest, Odom, Gasol, and Bynum would be the 4th seed in the East
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
bladefd
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangleoffense
If we happen to keep Ammo around I say give Ammo and Luke more minutes during the regular season once we build up a lead and then save Fisher and Ron Ron for the playoffs. Odom as well since he played with a hurt back for the entire playoffs for 2 years straight.

Well, I think Luke is pretty much out of the picture lol. I don't think Phil will lower Artest's minutes until towards the end of the reg season. Anyways, the reason why I said Luke is pretty much out of the picture is due to the minutes being passed around for our starters. Artest plays 35+ MPG, Kobe plays 35+, Pau plays 35+, Odom plays 28+. There really won't be much time left to fit Luke into the puzzle unless if the Lakers decide to try Luke at some point-forward for a bit and decide to try out a lineup of Kobe/Ron/Luke/Pau/Bynum. I can't see that happening though.

Last edited by bladefd : 07-04-2009 at 03:43 PM.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
triangleoffense
Lakers 14-15 go

Luke will probaly get his 10-20 min every game depending on how hot he is. I mean he's our only backup for SF... besides Ammo.

He's underrated if you ask me.. his post up game is pretty legit. I remember laughing everytime I saw Luke post up courtney Lee in the finals but he got buckets every time he got into the paint.

triangleoffense is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: