Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-14-2006, 06:45 PM   #46
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Ok uncle tom. :rollingeyes:

it makes me sooo sad to see the stats. But every1 just brushes them under the rug and ignores them in hopes that they will go away. Well id rather tackle the problem and actually find out how to fix it. I think a lot of it is due to mainstream black culture but thats just me. In general black culture does not value education to the same extent as other cultures. Its the only culture where you get hated on for going to a good school. But thats what to be expected when black youth and even some adults look up to rappers as role models.

Everytime someone brings it up black pseudo leaders like Jesse Jackson come in cry racism and them the PC police come in and stop it.

Last edited by Younggrease : 10-14-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:14 PM   #47
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

What stats? As far as claiming parents look up to rappers as role models...that could be "some" parents being kids having kids. But still an ignorant claim much like this one "In general black culture does not value education to the same extent as other cultures.".

Bad generalization on your part. I'd be more willing to accept you saying from your experience in life this is how you saw most of your encounters be it they were direct or indirect. Cause you're speaking from what you experienced. But to speak about it in a broad sense? Cant agree by a longshot dude. And i was only joking with calling you an uncle tom.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:20 PM   #48
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
it makes me sooo sad to see the stats. But every1 just brushes them under the rug and ignores them in hopes that they will go away. Well id rather tackle the problem and actually find out how to fix it. I think a lot of it is due to mainstream black culture but thats just me. In general black culture does not value education to the same extent as other cultures. Its the only culture where you get hated on for going to a good school. But thats what to be expected when black youth and even some adults look up to rappers as role models.

Everytime someone brings it up black pseudo leaders like Jesse Jackson come in cry racism and them the PC police come in and stop it.

I agree with younggrease, however as GOBB said, this is through what I have experienced in my life.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:21 PM   #49
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

I think most standardized testing is stupid and doesn't truly reflect a person's intelligence.

For instance take bilingual kids. If a person speaks 2 langauges fluently, they will not grasp the ability to master one of these language; thus, leaving them disadvantaged. You would think that speaking two languages would make a person seem more intelligence, but the SAT's doesn't show that.
ALBballer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:28 PM   #50
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
I think most standardized testing is stupid and doesn't truly reflect a person's intelligence.

For instance take bilingual kids. If a person speaks 2 langauges fluently, they will not grasp the ability to master one of these language; thus, leaving them disadvantaged. You would think that speaking two languages would make a person seem more intelligence, but the SAT's doesn't show that.
Why can't a bilingual kid "master" one language? I am fluent in Mandarin and English but I got an 800 on the critical reading portion of the SAT.

Disclaimer: I don't claim that I have mastered the english language. I don't think many people have. I just have been able to perform very well at my level in regards to the language.

Last edited by vapid : 10-14-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:29 PM   #51
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
Why can't a bilingual kid master one language? I am fluent in Mandarin and English but I got an 800 on the critical reading portion of the SAT.

Well good for you, but I was speaking in general terms.
ALBballer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:33 PM   #52
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

I would say SATs are hardly racist. If anything standardized tests should level the playing field. In my experience the SAT and the GMAT were both exams that tested how good you are at taking that particular exam. You buy the book, study for it and that's all there is to it.

Mostof the stuff on those has very little relation to what I was taught in school. (Atleast in my experience).
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:33 PM   #53
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
Well good for you, but I was speaking in general terms.
Well ok what I am saying is that there are many bilingual people who are more adept at one language than the other. People who can speak more than one language probably are just better linguists overall, which would help them perform well on a standarized test that tests lingual skills.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #54
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

When I wrote the SATs about 5-6 years ago, being a citizen of another country, I did notice there was a bit of cultural bias, but not racial IMO. For example there were a couple questions that I couldn't answer because they had to do with American political structure, and one even had something to do with the Bible (which I'm not overly familiar with outside of the common stories like Exodus, etc.). Now it didn't turn out to be a big deal, I still got a very good score, but I did feel bad that I didn't have 1st hand knowledge to answer a couple questions with because I was from away. [I figured it was fair though since I was looking to attend an American institution, so it was only just of them to ask that I know a little bit about their country first.]
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:19 PM   #55
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default re

Quote:
SAT's are racially biased. Good results i guess, and by that i mean i came during a time where there was no new SAT test like today. So maybe that score is different if someone had it when i took it?

why bring up the race card when one can easily bring up the "i'd rather do other unsavory things to make money than study" card? of course, I will not propagate it. I had to live in Castle Hill for a week while investigating a potential murder for the law firm I worked at this past summer. I visited schools, and elementary schools are rather less furnished in the inner city, but comon... it's the urban influence... anyway remember what Bill Cosby said.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:22 PM   #56
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Bill Cosby is a lame.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:23 PM   #57
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Bill Cosby is a lame.

but correct in many ways
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:29 PM   #58
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNader
but correct in many ways

Dunno...he says good things but says wtf things as well. 50/50 with Bill nowadays.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: